N7 4.3 update and autorotate stopped working.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Got the new update. No install issues. Autorotate is turned on in settings but it won't rotate into landscape mode. It will flip 180 not not 90 or 270 degrees. Any ideas?

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Weirdest thing. I left it overnight on the cradle (still in portrait) and this morning it's autorotating properly. Very strange.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Try the Rotate app to have better control of rotate.

- - - Updated - - -

Try the Rotate app to have better control of rotate.

Shibari

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm having auto-rotate issues as well. It takes 20 seconds or so before the screen rotates.
I've had 4.3 for a week, I have rebooted (not reset) it, and still auto-rotate is messed up in ALL applications.
Worked fine before 4.3 of course.

andyhunter

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have just uninstalled Facebook app and so far my Nexus 7 is back to normal. I first started the Nexus in safe mode to see what was running. The autorotate worked properly. In safe mode I uninstalled Facebook app, I had had my doubts about it but it was just a guess. I the restarted in normal mode and rotate continued to work. Fingers crossed and hope it works for you.

Matt Hoyle

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any luck finding a solution? I rooted my 2012 Nexus 7 about a month or so ago and thought the autorotate (or lack thereof) issue had coincided with it. But now I'm not sure. Definitely looking for a solution.

Thanks,
Matt

bgruber17

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I assume that there has been no resolution to this matter? I have searched and found no reasoning as to why this would have been disabled on the nexus 7, or where it's being resolved. Does anyone have any further information on why Auto Rotate isn't working?

Ben Sawyer

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd post my experience on here, since I searched and couldn't find anything related.

Just got 4.4 KitKat on my Nexus 7 (2012), and after updating, the auto-rotate wouldn't work, and the gyroscope seemed to be broken. On games that used the tilt to turn, it wouldn't register that I was tilting the device. Tried a soft reboot (Settings -> Factory Data Reset) and after that, it was still unresponsive. Did a hard re-boot (Factory Reset) (hold power, down volume to Recovery Mode) and when it started back up, that resolved the issue.

Now it's working again, and I'm in the process of re-downloading all my apps. Kind of a PITA, but it works

Matt Hoyle

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I still have some issues with it, but it's nothing like it was (happily). A friend asked me to install a game he was developing, and it ran in landscape mode. That seemed to fix it. It hasn't really locked into one mode again, but it does not always rotate as promptly as you might expect.

I just installed a Cyanogen Mod ROM (CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Jelly Bean so will see how that goes. If you haven't tried a Cyanogen ROM, big plug for them here. They have a Windows installer you can use to install one that makes it very easy. Make sure you backup anything you need before running it though. The Nexus Root Toolkit is great for that:

Look under step 4 here for the CM installer: CyanogenMod | Downloads

And here's the NRT: WugFresh

There's not yet a KitKat ROM available for the 2012 Nexus 7, but I bet it won't be long.