Need help with Note 2 battery!

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
regarding this: Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' , Location reporting can be set to auto

will this still allow Google Now's location specific ntotifications to work?

I don't understand the difference between "Location reporting" and "Report from this device" choices. Based on the wording descriptions, it means the same things.

I think 'Location reporting' gives google now permission to retrieve your location, if you search for places in google now (or other google apps)

I'm certain that 'Report from this device' regularly polls your location in the background to create a thorough map of your activities. This allows it to make much more accurate predictions but drains a lot of battery

Sent from my GT-N7100

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I think 'Location reporting' gives google now permission to retrieve your location, if you search for places in google now (or other google apps)

I'm certain that 'Report from this device' regularly polls your location in the background to create a thorough map of your activities. This allows it to make much more accurate predictions but drains a lot of battery

Sent from my GT-N7100

Agreed on the auto pull concept for 'Report from this device' .

what about un-checking the 3rd check box in the Locations setting "Locations and Google Services" for Google services? Will this also prevent disruption of the device's deep sleep? Is this different function than 'Location reporting' for Google Maps only? I'm not sure if "Locations and Google Services" is an auto push concept or an adhoc pull concept.

weird thing is, regardless of the setting for 'Location reporting', the log for wakelock now says Google Now is the app that's disrupting sleep the most often. Not as often as Maps, but enough to be concerning. It's just really confusing how the "Locations and Google Services" and whether 'Location reporting' menus interfaces with Google Now and whether this is also an auto push or adhoc pull.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hypodest -
I just wanted to report another successful diagnostic of this battery drain issue. I suspected it was my google maps, switched off the 'Report from this device', and after testing, my battery drain improved by about 90%!!! All this with no adverse impacts on functionality of Google Maps, or Google Now. Thanks a bunch.

namtaffy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people simply don't charge their devices at night. Then as long as it gets through the day who cares?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people simply don't charge their devices at night. Then as long as it gets through the day who cares?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Android Central Forums

b/c everyone uses their phone differently, and some will not get through the day based on their usage. In my case, as the phone slept, I lost 20% of the battery, which is unacceptable. If you want a practical example, then consider someone who needs this phone for a 13 hour (or even an 8 hr) plane ride...then you can see that this idle/deep sleep battery drain is a major issue.

That, and the concept of how the phone charger behaves when it reach 100%, it doesn't aid battery longiveity

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on the auto pull concept for 'Report from this device' .

what about un-checking the 3rd check box in the Locations setting "Locations and Google Services" for Google services? Will this also prevent disruption of the device's deep sleep? Is this different function than 'Location reporting' for Google Maps only? I'm not sure if "Locations and Google Services" is an auto push concept or an adhoc pull concept.

weird thing is, regardless of the setting for 'Location reporting', the log for wakelock now says Google Now is the app that's disrupting sleep the most often. Not as often as Maps, but enough to be concerning. It's just really confusing how the "Locations and Google Services" and whether 'Location reporting' menus interfaces with Google Now and whether this is also an auto push or adhoc pull.

Great to hear that you've improved battery life.

Just for your info, 'locations and Google Services' is more of a permissions thing specific for many Google applications and websites. For instance if you are in your browser and log into your google account and google search it will ask if you want to use your location to improve search results. So it's more of a privacy option.

'Location reporting' is not quite clear, I assume it's a similar option which permits Google Now to use auto detected location to provide info rather than preset location.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear that you've improved battery life.

Just for your info, 'locations and Google Services' is more of a permissions thing specific for many Google applications and websites. For instance if you are in your browser and log into your google account and google search it will ask if you want to use your location to improve search results. So it's more of a privacy option.

'Location reporting' is not quite clear, I assume it's a similar option which permits Google Now to use auto detected location to provide info rather than preset location.

Sent from my GT-N7100

thanks again for this. Going into second day of usage on a single charge. This has completely increased the practicality of this phone, I don't have to carry my charger with me anymore, even if the phone gets heavy usage, 3100mah battery indeed!

jisperky

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joe.
Could you post your battery history details and screen-on graphs. They can provide more info.

Rooting isnt necessary for good battery life.
Also removing apps from the recent apps list or clearing ram won't help with battery (or performance for that matter). Closing 'active apps' is more helpful.

The usual culprits for off-screen battery Ioss are poor signal (or LTE) or wakelocks .

Common fixes are:
Keep wifi on during sleep → Never
Apps like viber → use phones wifi policy
Autosync → disable
Email / Facebook → Longer refresh intervals
Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' , Location reporting can be set to auto
Sent from my GT-N7100

I cannot seem to find the Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' on my Note could you please tell how to do this? My google now is not working :(

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I cannot seem to find the Location settings → Disable 'report from this device' on my Note could you please tell how to do this? My google now is not working :(

are you trying to do this for Google Maps or Google Now? Google Maps is what we're were discussing regaring 'report from this device'. If you want virtually no wakelock from Google Now, you simply need to just swtich off the notification cards

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I also see lots on the web that says roiting your phone can help with battery.

That is something I know absolutely nothing about.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

It's not the rooting that helps with battery life, it's the rom you flash on it. You can load a custom rom that underclocks the cpu and undervolts. This is where you save power :D

sent from Galaxy Note 2

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I've looked everywhere and the only setting I see either in maps or "google settings" is the ability to turn OFF "location reporting". What am I missing?

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using this a week come tomorrow and I've yet to duplicate the kind of battery life I see posted around the forums! Nothing seems to be sucking my battery dry it just doesn't last as long as others! gsam has shown me that behind Android, Facebook wakes my device the most but my battery graph shows almost a 1 to 1 between screen on and awake so I don't think it's being kept from sleeping at all!

Battery life at work REALLY stinks but gsam shows that I'm at 2 bars almost 100% percent of the time that I'm there but I seemed to have better battery life on my S3 working in the same place!

Signed,
Confused lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have been using this a week come tomorrow and I've yet to duplicate the kind of battery life I see posted around the forums! Nothing seems to be sucking my battery dry it just doesn't last as long as others! gsam has shown me that behind Android, Facebook wakes my device the most but my battery graph shows almost a 1 to 1 between screen on and awake so I don't think it's being kept from sleeping at all!

Battery life at work REALLY stinks but gsam shows that I'm at 2 bars almost 100% percent of the time that I'm there but I seemed to have better battery life on my S3 working in the same place!

Signed,
Confused lol

Facebook will really drain a battery faster. And so will a poor radio signal. You may want to try uninstalling Facebook just to test how much longer you get on your battery.

Google Location isn't needed if you don't need to find out directions or nearby businesses very often so try turning that off too, for a test.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Something definitely seems amiss! When I had an S3 with the same setup it would last throughout the entire work day with a similar signal (100% of the time 2 bars or less). Today my Note (off charger at 8:30) was at 46% by 12:15!

I'm just going to order a new battery!

Last edited:

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Signed,
Confused lol

If your still looking to rule out apps, install wakelock detector and look at which apps are causing abnormally high wakelocks.

Also may wanna try setting 'keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' to never under Wi-Fi settings. If you have Viber, it tries to overwrite this settings, so disable it under Viber settings as well.

If you want more help, post a screenshot of you battery chart and battery history details and screen on time :)

Sent from my GT-N7100

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help.... I currently have Wi-Fi set to never and I don't use viber. Here are a few screens...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386812400819.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386812400819.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386812418647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386812418647.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386812431890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386812431890.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 26

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't look so bad. After 9+ hours and 3 hours screentime your battery is at 60% charge!

Your mobile signal looks kind of spotty and that's probably draining some battery. Otherwise this doesn't look so bad at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Based on the battery charts, it doesn't look like any rogue apps are present.

Since the battery drop is constant regardless of whether the phone is in use, it's likely due to some radio.

Might wanna try disabling Bluetooth and GPS (there seems to be a special Verizon based GPS icon in the status bar) and see if that improves things?

Sent from my GT-N7100

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000