Need input please from anyone using Unlocked Z Play on AT&T

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What are your average download speeds with the MZP?
NVM, reread your thread. Could be a tower down in your location. How many indicator bars for LTE?

I can see those speeds with only 1-2 bars.

No tower or network problems according to AT&T. On the LTE Discovery App I was showing 2-3 bars and bouncing between 88db to 99db. I'll give it a shot in a known strong signal area. Even with the slow download speeds I haven't really seen any actual performance issues, if, for example, a website loads slower its marginally slower, not a real big difference. I should try a You Tube video that's where I believe a difference would be more noticeable.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
OK instead of starting a new thread I will continue here as maybe someone on here has or had this problem :
My phone always shows LTE on the status bar, in about phone under Sim status it says LTE, in LTE discovery app it shows LTE with a pretty good signal strength, - 87db but I am consistently getting 2 - 7MB download speeds over the past 3 days, that's all I've owned this phone. So I have LTE But these are definitely not LTE speeds, I've tried the official NXTGENPHONE APN, and the ATT Phone APN, both giving me the same download speeds. If I put my Sim card in my Honor 8 I'm averaging about 28MB DOWNLOAD speeds, so it's not the sim card.

ATT also has an LTE tablet APN that phones function just fine on. You can give that a try as an alternative.

A more counterintuitive option would be to try switching to the HSPA radio in the phone. Just to see what speeds it can achieve. I keep mine on HSPA most of the time as LTE is a little weak around mi casa, and the former is plenty fast enough for podcasts and video.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
ATT also has an LTE tablet APN that phones function just fine on. You can give that a try as an alternative.

A more counterintuitive option would be to try switching to the HSPA radio in the phone. Just to see what speeds it can achieve. I keep mine on HSPA most of the time as LTE is a little weak around mi casa, and the former is plenty fast enough for podcasts and video.

Thanks for the advice, how do you switch to HSPA only on the Z Play?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, how do you switch to HSPA only on the Z Play?

Download this app from the play store...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.ather.networkmode&token=BwVRV4GG

Open it up and scroll about halfway down. There's a field for a small drop down menu. Make note of what the default radio setting is at (mine was LTE/UTMS I believe). Switch it to WCDMA preferred or WCDMA only to switch your radio over. You can switch it back anytime. If the phone is shut off or put into airplane mode it will automatically revert to it's default radios. Cheers.

Attachments

• 1519.jpg
    1519.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleftshoe