Need phone advice

UncleMarty

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I currently have a Pixel 2 (not XL) and I'm looking to upgrade. The problem is I don't know which phone to get. Can anyone offer a suggestion? The most important thing to me is camera quality. I want the camera to be able to take photos and videos under as many different situations as possible and retain image quality and color (white balance, saturation, temperature, etc.) accuracy. I bought the Pixel 2 because of it's great camera, and was looking at the 4XL, but it seems like other phones have caught up with Google in terms of camera quality. I've never owned an IPhone before but I've heard rave reviews about the 11 Pro (I'm a bit nervous, though, about switching from Android to IOS).

So, have at it. Let me know which phone you think I should get. Or should I go with a professional level camera and avoid smart phone photography all together?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I hope you don't mind -- I moved this from the General News forum to the Buyers Guide forum, which is better for this kind of discussion.

If the 4 XL is too expensive for you, then I'd probably go with the Pixel 3a or 3a XL, since you still have the excellent Google Camera software, along with reliable updates for 3 years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No problem. I just think of General News as a place to discuss news going on in the tech world.:)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of camera apps out there - some allow almost full manual control, some are pretty much point and shoot. I usually use Camera_7.2.010.apk (for the Night Sight ability), but sometimes switch to others. All on a P2. It's not a Canon or Nikon, but it's still pretty good (as long as you have a solid mount and tripd for long exposures).

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I hope you don't mind -- I moved this from the General News forum to the Buyers Guide forum, which is better for this kind of discussion.

If the 4 XL is too expensive for you, then I'd probably go with the Pixel 3a or 3a XL, since you still have the excellent Google Camera software, along with reliable updates for 3 years.
Pixel 3a is a DOWNGRADE with that SoC that it has.

CellPhOneAGe

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
Google Pixel 4 on Google store priced at £829. Dual camera, besides wide-angle, Google also added a telephoto lens that supports double zoom.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/gb/category/phones?hl=en-GB&token=oFcK8LJd

Apple iPhone 11 Pro on Apple store priced at £1,049. The powerful three-camera system consisting of wide-angle, telephoto, and Ultra wide-angle lenses provides a huge creative space for the iPhone 11 Pro.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11-pro#mn_p

Considering you are an Android user, I think Google Pixel 4 is suitable for you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 3a is a DOWNGRADE with that SoC that it has.

From a spec standpoint, you're certainly correct. However, the experience that most people seem to have with the 3a has been pretty positive (my brother has one), without significant complaints about performance. (I'm not sure what a side-by-side comparison with the 2 XL would be like.) One of the big advantages of the lesser SoC is significantly better battery life, which may be an important factor considering all of the negative press about the Pixel 4.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are interested in manual modes, LG is king with their V-series phones. They aren't the greatest with auto modes, but still right up there. They also have mics with higher SPL ratings than most phones. If you like to record video of loud events (concerts, jets, racing, etc), you should really give those some consideration.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you make a purchase yet, OP? I too would recommend the Pixel 3/3a if you are passionate about camera quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanostu7