New Evo owner...some issues I'm not vibing

chrissss

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So I got the phone on Monday and have run into some issues which are rather bothersome

First off, when I plug headphones or any other AUX jack into the 3.5mm jack all hell breaks loose. If I am in the music app, it starts skipping tracks aimlessly, fast forwarding then rewinding. Becomes totally useless. As soon as I yank the jack out, it's totally fine. Same thing with Pandora except I get a prompt for voice command or some ****.
Anyone know what the deal is there?

Another thing is in the stock camera app, every photo is out of focus significantly. I've poked thru all the settings and tried all kinds of different combos with no results. If I use the app Vignette though it works totally fine and looks great.

Some other smalls issues are popping up here and there (no copy and paste in gmail app??) but beside the above issues it seems to be a solid phone

Anyone have any insight into those problems though?

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
headphones are probably grounding in some way where the phone is seeing it as a command. Try a different pair.

Camera, try clicking on what you are trying to focus on. The when viewing double tap and then zoom back out. Some other people have noticed the same not as clear pictures till the zoom out or something like that.

copy and paste... depending on what you are trying to copy it will detect addresses and phone numbers with a different options menu if i remember.

chrissss

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
headphones are probably grounding in some way where the phone is seeing it as a command. Try a different pair.

Camera, try clicking on what you are trying to focus on. The when viewing double tap and then zoom back out. Some other people have noticed the same not as clear pictures till the zoom out or something like that.

copy and paste... depending on what you are trying to copy it will detect addresses and phone numbers with a different options menu if i remember.

Have tried multiple headphones (Bose, Apple, Sony, AUX cable)
All were the same

Not to come off as an ***, but I make my living as a photographer and the HTC camera app is missing focus for sure
No matter how many times I focus, it will still miss everytime (even at infinity)

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
For your nusic/headphone problem. Most likely it is seeing your headphones and turning on voice dialer,ect.
try this:
1) Look for a widget on the Android market called "Headset Blocker" and install (it's free)
2) hold your finger on a screen for a few seconds a menu called (Add to Home) will appear.
3) Click Widget and select Headset Blocker"

activate headset blocker, no more skips no more random dialing.
Credit to app creator and poster rosscan @ androidforums.com

For Camera, Make sure your touching the screen and actualy choosing what you want to focus on. The default camera seems to pick the wrong thing to focus on 9 times out of 10. And then of course make sure your not jaring the camera when you touch to take the picture.
Also for low light indoor pictures. set your ISO to 200 or so. pictures will be much better.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just use Vignette then?

Anyway, tap and hold to copy/paste certain text.
Tapping and holding also brings up other things like selecting text and stuff.

dooksuks

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
All were the same

Not to come off as an ***, but I make my living as a photographer and the HTC camera app is missing focus for sure
No matter how many times I focus, it will still miss everytime (even at infinity)

Not to be an a**, but if you're a professional photographer then there's no way you'll ever be happy with a camera on a phone...

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the only reason I use my camera is to take pics of my family on the fly because I always have my phone on me. But it still doesn't compare to a dedicated digital camera.

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
For your nusic/headphone problem. Most likely it is seeing your headphones and turning on voice dialer,ect.
try this:
1) Look for a widget on the Android market called "Headset Blocker" and install (it's free)
2) hold your finger on a screen for a few seconds a menu called (Add to Home) will appear.

For Camera, Make sure your touching the screen and actualy choosing what you want to focus on. The default camera seems to pick the wrong thing to focus on 9 times out of 10. And then of course make sure your not jaring the camera when you touch to take the picture.
Also for low light indoor pictures. set your ISO to 200 or so. pictures will be much better.

Thanks for sharing this app! This issue had been bugging me when listening to pandora....

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Why would some phones be having this issue with plugging cables into the 3.5mm jack? I have never seen this happen and use that jack all the time. Seems really odd.

chrissss

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Not to be an a**, but if you're a professional photographer then there's no way you'll ever be happy with a camera on a phone...

Really?
I thought it would totally replace my Hassy
:confused:

try this:

I'll check that out as a temporary fix but I still think I have a defective phone

Why would some phones be having this issue with plugging cables into the 3.5mm jack? I have never seen this happen and use that jack all the time. Seems really odd.

HTC EVO 4G:EVO Headphone jack is defective, should...

dooksuks

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So you are admitting you should not expect great camera quality from a phone. Then why include this in your post? We didn't bring it up... You did.

chrissss

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So you are admitting you should not expect great camera quality from a phone. Then why include this in your post? We didn't bring it up... You did.

You're missing the point

It's missing focus (and quite significantly) every time
I dont care how good (or not good) the quality is. If it is missing focus then something is wrong.

Look, here is an example I just shot
After focusing 4 times on lens and then snapping the photo it is still out of focus
imag0030xv.jpg

Same photo using Vignette
1279484224980.jpg

I'm fine using vignette but I do believe the stock camera app needs and update or something
I shouldn't have to buy an app to fix it (granted I would've bought vignette anyway for all the different effects)

Anyway...more importantly, I want my headphone jack to work
I plugged in the super crap headphones that came with my BB and they seemed to work just fine. Only thing is I would never use those and really want my Bose to work as well as my cars AUX jack

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
All were the same

My camera seems to focus fine, as long as I tell it where to focus by tapping the screen. And my headphone jack seems to be fine, too, so I don't have any suggestions for you other than to take the phone back Every manufacturer ships some defects. It happens. What do you want us to do?

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm with the OP on this one. The focusing on this camera is bad. I do amateur photography so I know what to look for. I'm sure he just wants to take a decent snapshot when he's around town. Believe it or not, professional photographers don't all walk around with a SLR and 3 lens kit bag on their back 24/7.

The worst for me is actually trying to take a barcode scan (like in the apps forums here). It is so hard to get it to focus long enough to get the barcode that I usually just go to the app store and do it manually. I've compared this camera to the iphone camera and it's not even in the same ballpark.

And before I get flamed - 1. No I'm not a mac fanboy. 2. Yes I have an EVO and love it, but I do see the flaws when they're present.

So - Are any of the alternate photo apps worth checking out? Ultimately I think the camera quality lies with the hardware but I imagine software can at least mitigate some of the problems a lot of us see.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I rarely have a problem with bar code scans, even though the distances involved are much closer than the camera is designed to focus.

And I don't have an issue with the camera focusing accurately, as long as I tell it where to focus by tapping on the screen.

And just for the record, I'm a serious amateur photog, too, if that's a badge of credibility. Currently own 3 Canon DSLRs, and have been seriously shooting 35mm or DSLR, and medium format film, since about 1969.

I still say if you're Evo won't focus where you want it to, your particular Evo is defective, not all Evos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware