Nexus 4 will be available today at Noon PST

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Mine should ship in 4-5wks *sigh*
I hope it'll be before that though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
I sure as hell hope it ships before that. I ordered during the first batch yesterday, but I ordered an 8 GB model which was estimated then to ship in 4-5 weeks (the ones being ordered now are 8-9 weeks!!!!!). That's pretty insane. What I also don't get is that I thought the 16 GB model was in higher demand, so why is the 8 GB one more backlogged? Are they just not making the 8 gig models, and if not, why even put them up for sale?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As I am still waiting for any news regarding UK - could any of you US guys give some update on what the situation on the other side of the pond is?

I mean, after the initial rush, in the US: Can you place the order or is it out of stock? Does the website now work normally or is it still buggy? Are the orders shipped soon, or is everything de facto pre-ordered?

Going to the US Google Play site now shows both phones as "shipping soon" (4-5 weeks for the 16gb, 8-9 weeks for the 8gb), but you can add them to a cart without issue. I didn't try checking out, though. It would seem orders placed now are indeed pre-orders/backorders.

Halofury

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
After 2 emails (one last week saying it was delivering then) and another this week.... I finally get some shipping number and to my surprise its delivering the next day (today). Google really fumbled the ball on this one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you in a contract? If you're about to be out of contract, then it would be best to buy the Nexus 4 and use it prepaid: you would make the extra money back that you spent on it. On the other hand, if you're still in a contract, you can always upgrade to the iPhone 5, and then sell it if you don't like it. You would make more than enough money to buy a Nexus 4, even straight from T-mobile.

I never thought of this. Would it be worth renewing an expired contract with an iphone 5 then selling the iphone and replacing it with the nexus 4? Or would it be a break even situation at the end of the day?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I sure as hell hope it ships before that. I ordered during the first batch yesterday, but I ordered an 8 GB model which was estimated then to ship in 4-5 weeks (the ones being ordered now are 8-9 weeks!!!!!). That's pretty insane. What I also don't get is that I thought the 16 GB model was in higher demand, so why is the 8 GB one more backlogged? Are they just not making the 8 gig models, and if not, why even put them up for sale?

My guess is LG/Google felt that the 8GB model was not going to sell all that well and did not place as large an order for production as they did for the 16GB model.

I happen to be talking with a buddy who works for Google and he said that the news around the water cooler is that Google has been blown away by the demand for the Nexus 4, in fact he said the world it has been better than their wildest dreams has been bandied about.

Most Google employees credit the demand due to its low price tag, especially when compared to an iPHONE or even a Samsung GSIII.

Dan

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would be interested in seeing the numbers - how many were produced, expected to sell, and what the sales numbers have been.

Also, I'm new to the Android and Nexus game, so I don't have much perspective, but how is it this phone has been so much more popular when there have been previous Nexus devices. In fact, last years Galaxy Nexus was sold at the same price. Why is the demand higher for the N4, only 1 year later?

There seems to be a lot of buzz in tech circles, but the general public is largely unaware. Especially compared to the iPhone or SG3. Over the last 4 years or so, I've only seen two - a friend who had a G1 and Vz GN (that I just saw last weekend by chance in a liquor store)

I know it sounds silly but a relatively obscure phone like this has a certain "cool" factor, to me, even if others don't care or notice.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I never thought of this. Would it be worth renewing an expired contract with an iphone 5 then selling the iphone and replacing it with the nexus 4? Or would it be a break even situation at the end of the day?

If you broke even or not would depend on a number of factors. Theoretically, you could upgrade to the iPhone 5 for $199, and then turn around and sell it for $500+ easy. Of course, if you turned around and bought a Nexus 4 from the Play Store, at $299/$349, you would be out of pocket $0/$50, respectively, plus or minus taxes and shipping. If you have intention to leave your carrier for the Nexus 4, and you have an upgrade coming up, you could upgrade, sell the phone, and use the money to more than pay any ETFs. Of course, your ETF may have been less if you didn't upgrade at all. However, if you're with AT&T for example, and you care more about the Nexus experience than LTE, upgrading to the iPhone 5 and selling it for profit would pay some of the costs of the Nexus 4. At this point, you would make money, break even, or lose out depending on if you chose to stay with AT&T, or to go prepaid.

Sorry for the long post :p

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Also, I'm new to the Android and Nexus game, so I don't have much perspective, but how is it this phone has been so much more popular when there have been previous Nexus devices. In fact, last years Galaxy Nexus was sold at the same price. Why is the demand higher for the N4, only 1 year later?
Simply put, while the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone (I have one), the Nexus 4 is a whole different ballgame. Even at the time the Galaxy Nexus came out, the software was its main draw, and it had only decent, but not top of the line hardware. The Nexus 4 has a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor. Gorilla glass. Glass back. 8 MP camera. It is plain beautiful and comes with fantastic specs. For a price tag of $300 or $350.

That matters. When the Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM model came out, it was a good phone at a great price, but the other phones could justify their higher price tag with specs. That gap has closed with the Nexus 4.

Also, the Galaxy Nexus was originally launched on Verizon's CDMA network, and Verizon not only had other interests, they screwed up the Nexus brand by insisting on controlling updates. I suspect that was the reason Google decided to release an unlocked GSM version of the GN, and kept going that way with N4.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Simply put, while the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone (I have one), the Nexus 4 is a whole different ballgame. Even at the time the Galaxy Nexus came out, the software was its main draw, and it had only decent, but not top of the line hardware.

I don't know, in my opinion the Galaxy Nexus when I got it at launch last November (GSM International version) it seemed to be worth the 650$ price tag & pretty much held its own for around 6mos until better hardware started becoming more popular.

The Nexus S did similar at its time (staying near the top for about 6mos).

I feel the Nexus 4 won't hold its own for 6mos though.
That said, I still love the N4 (anticipating mine to arrive shortly), it just seems higher priority was put to its price than other areas such as a more durable back, better camera, higher mAh battery & LTE. If the N4 was priced at the GNex's original launch price it would likely not be nearly as popular as we would have expected the things I mentioned.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, in my opinion the Galaxy Nexus when I got it at launch last November (GSM International version) it seemed to be worth the 650$ price tag & pretty much held its own for around 6mos until better hardware started becoming more popular.

The Nexus S did similar at its time (staying near the top for about 6mos).

I feel the Nexus 4 won't hold its own for 6mos though.
That said, I still love the N4 (anticipating mine to arrive shortly), it just seems higher priority was put to its price than other areas such as a more durable back, better camera, higher mAh battery & LTE. If the N4 was priced at the GNex's original launch price it would likely not be nearly as popular as we would have expected the things I mentioned.

Really? :banghead:

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. I mean it was worth its price for the time (having a 720p screen and vanilla android), but the rest of its hardware was already dated by then. Since that time it has been shown up by quite a few handsets. I think the nexus 4 will have an easier time staying relevant until the next nexus phone arrives, and I'm going to predict the main reason to upgrade will be a better camera/speakers and screen rather than processor or system memory.

TrevMoore

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually got in about 2hrs ago, since I was pressing proceed button like a mad man on my phone when I finally got through my battery died......... Just came here now and tried for a couple of minutes and got in. Ship time is 2-3 weeks but the great thing is your not charged till it actually ships. I might sell the 16gb I ordered and buy another one. Hopefully in about 2-3 weeks there will be more available.

Total came out to $383.93

I'm not sure that's actually the case. On my bank account, the funds are locked and I can't spend the 383 dollars of the payment. Which is kind of annoying..

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5 arrived today & I'm a little torn...do I switch it to my daily driver for the next month as I wait for my N4 or stick with my GNex keeping the iPhone 5 as a backup like I originally intended?

Decisions, decisions!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5 arrived today & I'm a little torn...do I switch it to my daily driver for the next month as I wait for my N4 or stick with my GNex keeping the iPhone 5 as a backup like I originally intended?

Decisions, decisions!

I think you should give your iphone 5 away to charity.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I said with a 2 year contract, not unlocked. Still not worth the unlocked priced for how cheap the product feels, in my opinion. The 8 or 16GB is enough for some people; if you want to hold entire music collections, 2,000+ photos or tons of games on your device then its not for you. I had the GS3 and barely used the storage because of cloud, I don't use my phone for games and I don't keep thousands of songs on my phone. It works for some, not all.

Well I use my smartphone like a smartphone I use it all around for biz and pleasure I use fb and Skout do resumes and job apps online am a music head so tons of MP3s including Google music games new and old school Netflix the list goes on and on and 8 simply can't cut it I already am using 7gb out my 32 on my Brand new nexus

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2