Nexus 6P - March Security Update (Everything You Need To Know)

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I had to delete and re-pair my Bluetooth devices. After that.... All seems well and I haven't experienced the Bluetooth issues I had before.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I found a bug that this update fixed. Before this update when you would use Google Maps, through Bluetooth in the car, it would cut off the sentences Midway. So the narration would never finish what it was saying. But with this update now that is completely fixed. Anyone else have any other bugs they noticed are fixed?

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I received the update. Don't notice anything and the visual voicemail with my carrier (Verizon) still doesn't work. Forced to transfer missed calls to Google voice. Other than that the phone still works.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 6P on Tuesday, had a update as soon as i started it up. But as of right now im on build MMB29P. I think im 2 updates behind if im correct? Have it check update now a few times since then and haven't gotten anything. Guess i have 1 of 2 options, Wait for OTA or sideload OTA correct?

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Got the update yesterday. My BT usually works in the car (2016 Mazda 6), but about 5% of the time seems to be unable to connect. I haven't had the issue connecting since the update, but I need more time to see if it's still happening.

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So I received the update yesterday and I've been having issues with the fingerprint scanner since I did. Before, the only time I had to use my passcode was after a fresh reboot. Now it seems if my phone sits longer than say, 5 minutes without the screen turning on the fingerprint sensor doesn't even acknowledge I'm trying to use it and forces me to enter my passcode. If it's only been like a minute since my screen was off, the sensor works fine. I've rebooted again a few times and it continues to happen. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this a bug, or is it a new security feature?

jbergsing

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
So I received the update yesterday and I've been having issues with the fingerprint scanner since I did. Before, the only time I had to use my passcode was after a fresh reboot. Now it seems if my phone sits longer than say, 5 minutes without the screen turning on the fingerprint sensor doesn't even acknowledge I'm trying to use it and forces me to enter my passcode. If it's only been like a minute since my screen was off, the sensor works fine. I've rebooted again a few times and it continues to happen. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this a bug, or is it a new security feature?
I sideloaded MHC19I Sunday and my phone is running like a champ. So I can't duplicate your issue. However I had the same problem with my previous phone (LG G3) and the only thing that fixed it was a factory reset.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Had a massive battery drain since the update.

Wiped cache and the thing acts better than it did brand new.

Gotta remember to wipe that cache, peoples.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I got my 6P yesterday. Fired up and it said there is an OTA update available. Great.

Now, checking the phone info, it says January 1, 2016 as the Android security patch level.

I tried checking multiple times, but I am not receiving any updates whatsover.

What is the magic trick here to get the latest Feb and March security updates?

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Got the update 2 days ago. So far everything seems about the same. Maybe snappier? But it was already pretty snappy to begin with.

I was a little worried by some people's claims of battery life issues but mine has been fine so far.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Had a massive battery drain since the update.

Wiped cache and the thing acts better than it did brand new.

Gotta remember to wipe that cache, peoples.

I haven't seen that. I didn't check my SOT, but I made it nearly 36 hours on a charge, ending around 8 PM yesterday with 15% left. That's with a BT headset connected, an hour streaming music at the gym (using a stereo BT headset) and having a watch connected. Had around an hour of call time also. I guess you could say I'm a "light" user.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I got my 6P yesterday. Fired up and it said there is an OTA update available. Great.

Now, checking the phone info, it says January 1, 2016 as the Android security patch level.

I tried checking multiple times, but I am not receiving any updates whatsover.

What is the magic trick here to get the latest Feb and March security updates?

Got my 6P last week and mine says the same thing - I'm assuming the OTA will bring us up to March, so probably just a waiting game if you don't want to sideload.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys noticed with the update that the ambient display when you pick up the phone is a lot better now? I've noticed that when I have messages, and I pick up my phone the ambient display lights up much faster now and seems to be a lot more consistent. Has anyone else noticed this?

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys noticed with the update that the ambient display when you pick up the phone is a lot better now? I've noticed that when I have messages, and I pick up my phone the ambient display lights up much faster now and seems to be a lot more consistent. Has anyone else noticed this?

It definitely seems more responsive to me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys noticed with the update that the ambient display when you pick up the phone is a lot better now?

Yep, noticed it right away. I suspect they tweaked the threshold... If you really jerked it, AD would fire, but it took a good snap. Now it's a lot more sensitive.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Agree LeoRex. A really nice tweaking. Not quite like the 1st gen Moto X but a "good snap" :)

After 2 cold reboots for testing, now I have the LTE indicatior back. I don't have to go into Airplane Mode to enable VZW LTE from 3G by turning it ON then OFF. Enjoying this update...so far.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone was acting weird after the update but can't put my finger on why. Did a factory reset and she flies now.

Battery life seems a little worse, but maybe it needs to settle after a FR. I've also been using it pretty heavy though.

neilk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed since the March update is that the signal strength of the LTE towers is greater. In particular, the TMO band 12 tower.