Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not a signal issue. engadget ran a report last week. They said it it's a notable difference between the nexus and any other phone on sprint. It's either a software our hardware problem.probably software, but I'm not waiting tip find out that it's hardware. This phone it's going back within the 30 days until they announce a fix.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My experience now that I have traveled to a few areas is that is probably tower related. I live in Philadelphia, and my connection in Old City is very poor for mobile and 4G, but when I go to University City, I have full bars for both. I have since traveled to New Haven, CT where my service was great.

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
When I roam with Verizon I don't see any problem with the phone, I don't have good coverage in my town that is why I like to force roaming in my two phones and when I am using sprint towers and I do speed test between the evo and the nexus s and most of the time are the same, Sprint is running a full capacity and that is why we see bad speeds most of the time. Just be sure that you are running the last prl and update the profile and if this is not working in the phone call Sprint.
Patch is comming!!!

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have been reading this thread for about 2 weeks and then I decided to join to give my 2 cents. I was worried about this issue before I purchased my phone. I just got a nexus s about one week ago from sprint. and I have the same issues that everyone else has.

Here is my input when examining it for the last 4 days.

1) Speedtest.net is someone gimped with this phone. I say that because you will see a LARGE spike in data from the download and upload. then it caps lower and slowly moves back up. It's something to do with the driver and this specific app that is causing what I consider inaccurate data.

According to engadget, they use speedtest.net as their measuring stick. I think the DBM is a better measurement and people have been seeing DBM differences between two different phones. In specific, when comparing the EPIC 4G and Nexus S which should have to the same communications hardware, there is something going on that should be fixed with software.

It's more bothersome when 4G keeps going off and on. (even outside). I know the 4G from sprint is sensitive because of the high frequency but this is a bit ridiculous. Even in my home, I get 1 bar on the 3G and no bars on the 4G (maybe 1 sometimes). If I turn off the 4G, my 3G bar goes up from 1 bar to 3 bars. So there is some interference there.

2) If you use flash and go to speakeasy.net. Use the flash application for running the bandwidth test on your nexus s. If you do that, you will see numbers COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than on the speedtest.net

On the speedtest.net, on 4G, i get around 1~2 mbps with 1 bar. On speakeasy.net, i get around 8 mbps!!! with one bar. And it isn't only speakeasy. I even tried bandwidthplace.com/speedtest. The numbers match. Also, the wifi disparity that was there for speedtest.net isn't there when i run speakeasy.net.

I think speedtest.net is completely flawed. and to prove it even more, i even did a dropbox download of 80 megs using 4G and the numbers were consistent with the speakeasy test. So it's something with the display which in turn is causing the system to turn off and on radio and also trying to boost the power which is lower the battery.

It's one hot mess. That's my 2 cents.

Nice phone tho. Made me like android when don't have all the crap.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
2) If you use flash and go to speakeasy.net. Use the flash application for running the bandwidth test on your nexus s. If you do that, you will see numbers COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than on the speedtest.net

My results were virtually identical. The download WAS identical and the upload was 0.2k slower on speakeasy.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So after the reply.

I have tried speedtest.net in two different locations.

My speedtest.net keeps trying to connect to Modesto, Ca (which is closer). If run that test, i get about 1.5mbps. If i change it to Los Angeles. the I get 3.5mpbs (which is 500 miles farther).

When I compared with speakeasy speed test.
Location A) same as speedtest.net
Location B) Speedtest reads 3mbps...(same as before). Speakeasy 7.98mbps.

so I don't know what to believe. Just sprint, please give me FULL BAR and make me feel like i'm having good coverage. :)

uly_g

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not a repeater. It's a device that creates a virtual cell tower in your home. According to the Sprint rep, it provides both voice and data (3G and 4G).

had the first gen and been using the second gen for a few months, DEFINITELY no 4G. Would be nice though, maybe on the next one?

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As time passes and I see more people reporting that they have no issues with wifi or reception, I am becoming a bit more concerned. I may go to the Sprint store tomorrow and see if they will pull a couple more out of the box to check the reception.

As a launch day PRE owner, I have experienced early reception issues fixed via software updates but it nags at me that some people are not having the problem. The inconsistency seems more like a hardware issue.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I already did that. This is their response.
Thank you for your inquiry and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Most issues may be resolved with minimal troubleshooting. Once troubleshooting has been done to the point of actual failure, we can setup a repair on the product, should it be determined the problem cannot be resolved over the phone. We can repair the phone, if it is still under warranty and has not been physically damaged.

If it is deemed, after troubleshooting, that the handset requires service/repair, our Repair Administrators will create a Return Material Authorization (RMA#) for the device. Provided there is no physical damage to the phone and the failure is not due to any type of liquid damage, the phone will be repaired under warranty.

For troubleshooting and questions related to possible repairs we invite you to contact Samsung Customer Care at your earliest convenience through our toll free number 1-888-987-HELP (1-888-987-4357).

A Customer Service Representative will be able to assist you between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time. The defective product will need to be sent to our repair center and a Proof of Purchase is required. The Repair Administrator will assign an RMA # for the repair that will need to be written under our address on the outside of the package being sent. The phone will be tested and inspected for quality assurance while in our facilities. This will ensure the fact that your phone will be completely functional with all necessary repairs performed when the handset is shipped from our facilities.

Our repair facility will have the phone roughly 5-10 days from the time that it is received. Some dealer locations may offer a loaner phone program while your handset is in repair. While Samsung cannot control the availability of these products or programs in your area, please contact your local provider or dealer if you are in need of a phone, to find out if they are a participating member of this program. If you have any questions regarding this process, please ask the Service Representative at the time of your call.

Additionally, if your device is in warranty or you have insurance through your service provider, some providers do offer a replacement policy on phones which need servicing. In some cases, they may send out a replacement phone and the defective phone is sent back to them in return. For more details on a possible exchange, please contact your Service Provider.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Sitting here in the worlds busiest airport (ATL) and I am only getting one spot on the 4G meter next to the window and these are my speedtest results:

Test Date: Jun 2, 2011 12:49:23 pm
Connection Type: EvdoA
Server: Atlanta, GA
Download: 1172 kbps
Upload: 398 kbps
Ping: 136 ms

External IP:...
Internal IP:...
Latitude: 33.65213
Longitude: -84.43596

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

57629953.png

Weak...
Go ahead and tell me that is not a problem.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen my phone say 4G once since I got it last week. It's a pretty awesome phone, but if we've got to pay an extra $10 for the 4G part, that's pretty lame. Still love the phone but dang...hope they fix it!

Rob

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen my phone say 4G once since I got it last week. It's a pretty awesome phone, but if we've got to pay an extra $10 for the 4G part, that's pretty lame. Still love the phone but dang...hope they fix it!

You aren't paying extra for 4G, you are paying extra for having a smartphone, which uses more data than feature phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91