NFC ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naemcivic

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about implementing NFC in my company. Instead of using a conventional punch clock for employees to dock their hours and punch in/out for lunch or breaks, each and every one of the employee would get their individual tag to check-in and checkout of work. The only downside to this is, security issue with fraudulent usage of the device. Would this work?

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes it would work, but you are right about the fraud. We used to have cards at my work and people would have other people's cards and clock them in even though they weren't there. Or if they were going to be late, somebody else would clock them in to make it seem like they were there on time. To eliminate this, they replaced it with a hand punch time clock. When they register you on there, it takes a reading of your hand and saves it. To clock in you type your last 4 of social and place your hand on the thing and it knows its you. I'm not sure how. We have tried many ways to cheat it though. I know lotion and jewelry effect it and doesn't let your hand scan properly sometimes. We have tried having somebody with very similar hands, but no dice. HOWEVER.... i can use my LEFT hand upside down, and it knows it's me somehow..

(off NFC on cellphone topic per say) I'm pretty sure the technology exists already, but I would like to be able to assign phone extensions to each person. And if you call the extension, the system sensors everywhere in the building would find them and re-route the call to any available phone near them and ring it. If somebody else answered just ask if they are around. This would eliminate wasting time calling their desk or paging them, increasing productivity. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it exists and probably too expensive for us to justify the cost.

redwanhuq

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I use a Galaxy Nexus and have the following NFC tags, created with NFC Task Launcher, that I use regularly.

1) Tap to show Wi-Fi password. I placed this over my Wi-Fi router and it allows any guest to quickly get the password without asking me.

2) Tap to decrease volume/lower brightness before going to bed (vice versa for waking up). I placed this on my nightstand next to my bed.

3) Tap to maximize brightness, volume and launch Google Maps Navigation (go back to original settings and home screen on subsequent tap). I placed this on my phone's car dock so that it launches every time I need it!

4) Tap to instantly check-in to Google Latitude and Foursquare. I placed this on my desk at work. However, since Google Latitude is incredibly accurate at auto-checkins, I don't use this tag much. I can see how it could be useful if one tag were placed on every table at a restaurant or venue.

NFC Task Launcher makes all of these tasks easy to program. I bought my
tags from Tagstand.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought some just to try out and I have one on my backpack's handle and when i get to school I use it to turn off all sounds, turn on wifi to connect to school, open some apps that tether to my laptop and text my wife letting her know I made it to school. ( she told me to stop texting her when I get to school everyday, lol) Then I tap it again at end of school day to turn on sounds and turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth and again text my wife letting her know I'm on my way, have food ready! LOL

I want better ideas for the rest of the tags I have though. I will be using one when I get a bluetooth stereo in my car to connect and start playing podcasts etc

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
just thought of a unique idea for myself :D

I teach english in Korea and i have 1 classroom that i always teach in. SO, I will set up a tag on my front desk on a tablet stand so when i put my tablet on that stand it will begin a timer (so i know how much time is left in each class), turn off wifi, turn down brightness, and begin a recording app (so i can record lessons), and more if i can think of anything

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use my tags for the following:
On my door to my garage so when I leave in the morning it turns on BT, turns off wifi, starts up siriusxm radio, increases volume/ ringer
When I return, it checks me into foursquare (well opens the app) turns off BT and turns on wifi, turns down volume

Work, turns off BT, turns on wifi, opens up foursquare and also opens my calendar/ to do list for the day, lowers volume
When leaving work, it turns off wifi, turns on BT, turns up volume/ ringer.

These are simple and I want to do more. Was hoping Iphone would get it so I could have a tag at the Football Booster Club booth when I shoot football games.
Figured when people bought their program they could tap the NFC tag, have it check you in, pull up the mobile version of my website and also have it open to a document that would have my contact info, etc.

NFC is a niche market right now and I think they really needed the iphone to get it out to the masses.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed ;)

Seriously though, with so many using iphones, I thought it would be a big boost to NFC if they had implemented it in their device.
Next year they will have it, call it the IFC, sue the IFC league if there is one, sell the tags for 10.00 apiece from the app store :)

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My favorite tag that I created was for biking

Volume Loud
Vibrate On
GPS On
BT On
WiFi Off
Open Strava
Post tweet

Gone!

Jcossack88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Someone made a suggestion about putting one on a toilet or in a bathroom to launch a reading app (Google Currents) so its loaded and ready for your daily read while taking a dump

KBV1

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It's getting more popular over here in the UK now. More and more stores are updating their Chip & PIN machines to allow payment wirelessly by NFC. In the future vending machines will have NFC tags on to purchase items from them instead of having to carry cash (bonus!!).

Reading this thread didn't realize you could do more with it LOL!!

ssummer

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that when Apple gets on the NFC bandwagon that the tech will magically become more useful. Other than mobile payments and check-ins, the only other use for it is performing multiple actions with one tap based on location.

If you are a shut-in and never leave the house, it's not going to make your life any easier.

If you keep your phone settings the same whether at home or work/school then NFC probably won't help you.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are a shut-in and never leave the house, it's not going to make your life any easier.

Oh? So some people don't leave their houses? I'm surprised things like sunglasses ever caught on. Because it just doesn't make sense to market something, if 100% of the population isn't going to use it.

If you keep your phone settings the same whether at home or work/school then NFC probably won't help you.

I'm one of those people who keep their phone on the same settings all the time. Pretty much the biggest reason for that is that I forget to change them, or don't feel like taking the time. So I get my choice between missing calls, or annoying people. I would much rather use NFC to control that, I just haven't bothered to buy any tags yet. I'm sure that plenty of people are the same way, and could benefit from NFC. There just needs to be some better marketing for it.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow I am uninformed. I thought NFC was just for data transfer between devices and another payment option. These tags could be extremely useful for me. Especially getting to work and having it change my settings and text my wife. I am always a fan of time savers.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that when Apple gets on the NFC bandwagon that the tech will magically become more useful. Other than mobile payments and check-ins, the only other use for it is performing multiple actions with one tap based on location. .

The point people are trying to make with the Iphone is that there is a very large group of people that would be introduced to NFC. This influx of NFC capable devices would spur more growth in NFC technologies/abilities since more people would have it available to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174