NFC ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichwardort

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Combining NFC tags and Tasker tasks, the possibilities are endless. For example, when I get in my car, my NFC tag in conjunction with Tasker disables WiFi, enables Bluetooth, connects to my stereo, launches Google Music, begins playing, and gives a pop up to launch Navigation if needed. That's one of my more simple setups.
That's really a nice setup! I've now been using Tasker for about 2 years and the combination with NFC works like charm!

So what I did, was to place a NFC sticker next to our coffee machine in the office and write a little webservice which counts up by one everytime I grab another cup. So in this case I can keep track of my depts and it's fun having this aha effect on my colleagues' mouthts :)

I'm doing this with the program NFC Tasklauncher in combination with Tasker (for sending the webservice request). If you want to customize this even further you could for example have tasker request certain input parameters via popup box which are then transferred to the server...

Ichwardort

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Just a short side-note, if Google were Apple they had putten some kind of mark on the Nexus 7 indicating the position of the NFC chip. Currently it's all about guessing if you're NFCin two devices.
Well probably Apple would even have hooked up the entire backside of the case as NFC antenna....

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a short side-note, if Google were Apple they had putten some kind of mark on the Nexus 7 indicating the position of the NFC chip. Currently it's all about guessing if you're NFCin two devices.
Well probably Apple would even have hooked up the entire backside of the case as NFC antenna....

That is very annoying about NFC...you have to get it just perfect...it can take more time than simply doing what ever it was manually. I was trying to show my father in law android beam on a photo...as soon as I got it lined up right he moved his phone a fraction of an inch and I lost it lol.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
For those of you with infants or small children, I've considered that putting one of these on the bassinet or crib and having it play one of their favorite nursery songs on YouTube would be handy. Thank goodness for YouTube!! If you don't know what I'm talking about, wait until you have a tiny human being with no sense of time in your house lol.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
That is very annoying about NFC...you have to get it just perfect...it can take more time than simply doing what ever it was manually. I was trying to show my father in law android beam on a photo...as soon as I got it lined up right he moved his phone a fraction of an inch and I lost it lol.

Can that be adjusted somehow? Mine works fairly easily when I transfer stuff to my friends devices. Pretty much all they have to do is touch backs anywhere and it seems good to go.

newcdn

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that a person has a tag at their door, so when they come home they scan their Nexus 7 and their desktop boots up. How can I do that?

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere that a person has a tag at their door, so when they come home they scan their Nexus 7 and their desktop boots up. How can I do that?

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see how. Maybe take your computer out of sleep mode using a sync program. With power completely off? Can't see it working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

flammenwurfer

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Some computers have a feature called wake-on-lan. Basically, the network card can detect when packets are being sent to it and it tells the computer to boot. My guess is the nfc tag is pinging the ip address of his computer on his local network.

eyeofmind

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It can do Plenty

Here's what I do

a. When I have folks come over home, they usually wanna share the Wifi (Pass protected, obviously). I've setup an NFC Tile , that would allow the device any NFC device to the network in ease. You can use InstaWifi to get this done
b. Depending on what "Task" you'd like to establish, the NFC Task Launcher is extremely useful too

Am hoping to establish the first solution across multiple Cafes which have Public Wifi (with passkeys), so that it becomes a lot easier for them to use so.

The industry uses Payment as a known action. However, you can utilize its from ticketing systems to combining reward programs. The gamut of what's capable lies in how you want it to effect your daily life to work life.

I got some NFC tags today. Anyone have some cool ideas for using them in a unique way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Once you have a few to play with and some time to set them up, I think they can be pretty cool. I use NFC Task Launcher and NFC Task Writer. I think the more advanced you make process, the more you will find them useful. The first one I made was to toggle wifi for my S3 in my car. That tag really serves as a reminder to toggle my wifi rather than a useful shortcut though--Half the time I have already docked my phone by the time I see the tag.

I used an NFC tag combined with a QR Code (For those without NFC) to give guests a quick easy way to access our home wifi network.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/240010-setting-up-guest-wifi-access-using-qr-codes-nfc-tags.html

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I really don't see a use case for them for me that Tasker doesn't already do.

I use Tasker for my 'car mode' and 'work mode', so I really don't see that I need this right now.

I get doing that for WiFi guests but I just don't see that it is necessary because the password is on my modem and is easily accessible in my family room.

However, I did use google wallet on a vending machine and it was pretty cool. But was it really easier than swiping my credit card? Not really. I had to tap it, enter a pin, and tap it again.

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I always forget to change laundry out and my wife gets soooooo mad. I'm really bad at it though... clothes could sit in the washer for a day!

I now have am NFC at both washer and drier to start the timer on my phone lol. Very simple but soooo worth it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001