No future updates a concern?

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe we won't recieve any updates (I don't recal reading about B&N abonding their existing devices, just no new color devices) but I'm pretty sure we'll never see a 4.3 based Nook HD firwmware ever. Which means yes TRIM could be an issue after longterm usage.

With out TRIM support it means that when the Nook starts getting sluggish it will need to be factore reset to clear/clean the file system. Which sucks, but that's the state of play for almost every non-Nexus device.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, resetting back to factory conditions is always a possibility but it's such a pain reinstalling all the apps and adjusting the settings to your liking.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe we won't recieve any updates (I don't recal reading about B&N abonding their existing devices, just no new color devices) but I'm pretty sure we'll never see a 4.3 based Nook HD firwmware ever. Which means yes TRIM could be an issue after longterm usage.

With out TRIM support it means that when the Nook starts getting sluggish it will need to be factore reset to clear/clean the file system. Which sucks, but that's the state of play for almost every non-Nexus device.
Well, you can also take 10 minutes a week clearing your App Caches, Uninstalling applications you don't use, and clearning out useless folders, for example.

I've never had an Android phone (or Windows PC) become sluggish on me, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I barely install anything I don't use or absolutely need (and even then I'll uninstall it and remove it's remnants when I'm done with it) and I keep my caches/temp folders/etc. in check.

Some apps can build of absolutely huge caches (eyes Google Currents). I don't think a lot of people realize how that can potentially affect performance of a device.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The problem with TRIM is that clearing app caches and the like will actually make the problem worse. It's not about the applications cache's getting stale, it's about the underlieing file system getting stale. Those cleared cache's means deleted files, it's those deleted files that are related to TRIM and the eventual slow down.

If you aren't installing un-installing a lot, don't have apps that create much in the way of file create/delete actions then yes, it can take a VERY long time for the TRIM issue to come up (and if you ever do a factory reset, you've cleaned up the file system so reset the issue).

What you suggested in the 10 minutes a week cleaning, would actually accelerate the TRIM issue as it generates the deleted files that add to the filesystems stale state. Now clearing the cache and such does help the system run better short term, but just doesn't solve the longterm TRIM issue (which only a factory reset of some kind of filesystem clean/repair tool would).

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a big slow down on my Nook last night.
There were times when magazine pages froze when changing them after about 15 pages in.
I thought it was an issue so I went ahead and reset all the setting.
It made a huge difference in the speed of page turns. Now it feels great.
But I am concerned that I had to do a reset only after about 10 days of use on this nook.
Now I know during that time I did a lot of things on it but am still concerned that it had such a strong effect of slowdown.
I think downloading files from various cloud drives may have something to do with it.
I was experimenting with downloading content and then using another app.
Since there is no direct way of closing the app I was using, I am guessing that the data was still stored temporarily on the Nook and may have slowed the system down. I'm now storing everything on the Nook and seeing if it makes a difference.

I am tempted in taking the unit back and waiting for the Retina iPad Mini......

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, that kind of slow down probably wasn't related to the TRIM issue. The trim issue would take more than 10 days to really develop.

Likely it was a hung app or something else that didn't exit cleanly. If it occurs again I would just try powering the nook down (poweroff) and then start it back up again so everything is freshly loaded. Better first try option vs a complete reset and wipe.

Sometimes the reader app can start acting a little crazy and cause slow page turns. Usually this get's better for me if I exit the app or load some other reading material and then go back to what I was reading. But this is pretty rare for me and only when I've been doing a lot of reading. Again a power off/on cycle also clears it up.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I powered off whenever I felt there was a hang up but those never solved the issues.
The native reader program was the core of the problems.
Many times it would just stop in the middle of running and kick me out to the home screen.
I wish there was a way I could control the reader app. It is the main reason I am keeping the nook.
Love the ability to read 2 pages in landscape. I have not really found any other apps to do this.
If anyone knows, please suggest one.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I figured out what caused the slow downs. It was Lookout Security.
The moment I installed it, everything started acting a bit laggy.
I uninstalled it and it made everything more smoother.

Tadb123

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Great news this week about B&N's renewed commitment to tablet hardware and even planning a new model for holiday release

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app