Not connecting to LTE on AT&T (international S6).

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have a factory unlocked international version of a Samsung Galaxy S6 (from UK), and it doesn't look like it's connecting to LTE on AT&T (in the U.S with an AT&T sim). Beside the reception bars at the top of the phone it has an H+, but it doesn't show LTE. I did a speed test and I get about 2-4 mbps down and about 1 mbps up. I looked into everything before I bought the phone and it was supposed to work on AT&Ts LTE bands. I also checked to make sure my phone was set to connect automatically to LTE.

Does anyone know what can be wrong?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Ok, so I did some more research and I found a thread on another forum talking about this issue. LTE definitely works on both AT&T and T-Mobile on the unlocked Galaxy S6 international version, for some people it works right away when they pop their sim into their phone, for others it doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, the only thing you need to do is to call AT&T customer service and make sure they have the correct IMEI on file (This is written on the back of your phone, it's very tiny, but it's there). Once they have your correct IMEI, restart your phone and LTE will work. I just did it and it now says 4G at the top of my phone, and my speed is up to ~30 mbps.

Hopefully this can help someone else having the same issue!

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a factory unlocked international version of a Samsung Galaxy S6 (from UK), and it doesn't look like it's connecting to LTE on AT&T (in the U.S with an AT&T sim). Beside the reception bars at the top of the phone it has an H+, but it doesn't show LTE. I did a speed test and I get about 2-4 mbps down and about 1 mbps up. I looked into everything before I bought the phone and it was supposed to work on AT&Ts LTE bands. I also checked to make sure my phone was set to connect automatically to LTE.

Does anyone know what can be wrong?

i don't think the international version supports U.S. LTE bands. this is why you should always buy the U.S. version if you plan on using it predominately in the U.S.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge the International versions don't work with American LTE bands, but it depends on the specific model you have. Can you confirm that bit of information, please?

May 14, 2015
Visit site
AT&T LTE bands: 2 / 4 / 17
Samsung Galaxy S6 LTE Bands: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 17 / 20 / 29 / 30

So it should work? The reason I buy international versions of phones is because I travel to my home country pretty frequently, and want to be able to switch sims. I also don't like to be locked down to a network, and you can barely buy any unlocked phones in the U.S...

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I did some more research and I found a thread on another forum talking about this issue. LTE definitely works on both AT&T and T-Mobile on the unlocked Galaxy S6 international version, for some people it works right away when they pop their sim into their phone, for others it doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, the only thing you need to do is to call AT&T customer service and make sure they have the correct IMEI on file (This is written on the back of your phone, it's very tiny, but it's there). Once they have your correct IMEI, restart your phone and LTE will work. I just did it and it now says 4G at the top of my phone, and my speed is up to ~30 mbps.

Hopefully this can help someone else having the same issue!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad you could fix the issue. Yeah, sometimes carriers need to either update your SIM or your phone information in their system to give you access to the network.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I know this way off topic but I have the g920i and I use it on at&t. I got an update today. Did anyone else get it?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Elazar Ben Lou Lou

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue i purchased this phone and i went an at&t store, they gave me a new sim card and registered this phone IMEI number and i never received 4G LTE service which i got on my other at&t phone. can anyone help, could the phone itself be a problem?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue i purchased this phone and i went an at&t store, they gave me a new sim card and registered this phone IMEI number and i never received 4G LTE service which i got on my other at&t phone. can anyone help, could the phone itself be a problem?

If you have the new sim card and they registered the IMEI then it must be the APN Settings in Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names. Look for APN LTE for AT&T in Google. Also, below that settings you check that in Network Mode you have selected LTE auto connect selected.

Elazar Ben Lou Lou

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Does it actually say LTE or just 4G, i went into at&t store yesterday and rep update my IMEI # with their phone and put the sim card into my phone and all im getting on the top is 4G but does not say LTE,,,, Does that mean im getting LTE?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Does it actually say LTE or just 4G, i went into at&t store yesterday and rep update my IMEI # with their phone and put the sim card into my phone and all im getting on the top is 4G but does not say LTE,,,, Does that mean im getting LTE?

The only phones that will show LTE icon is the American ones, in Europe and most of the rest of the world, LTE is just 4G. As long as you are using the correct APN and have selected the Auto Connect (LTE) in network Mode, it will connect to LTE if available in your area.

If you want to have definitive proof of what you are getting go to Settings-About Device-Status-SIM Card status and in Mobile Network type it will show if you are connecting to LTE. If you want to know even more than that, there are a couple of apps on the Play store that will give you detailed information on the network type and even the frequency and band you are connecting to, check SignalCheck Lite and LTE Discovery.

Last edited:

Elazar Ben Lou Lou

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for your quick response, i checked the SIM Status it states that it is LTE, i downloaded speed test app and i had 4g signal with full bars and it was only giving 3.4 Mbps download speed is that the normal 4g lte speed?