Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

denialnw10

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note3 proximity sensor issue during calls

Yeah, I dont have a screen protector either and it happened to me.

I got a standard reply from Samsung asking me to take my phone in to the repair centre, but as someone else said on this forum, I cant see what they'll be able to do if I cant recreate the issue and it only takes a bit of air to resolve the issue in a few seconds. I have only had the issue occur once and I have had my phone for over a month... I guess blowing into the speaker once a month isn't the end of the world... it's disappointing though.

mullarameez

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Hello everyone. I found the cause of this I hope. The main culprit is hardware. 1st I will tell solution for this problem. Just push hard the earpiece chrome grill inside with ur nails and the proximity sensor will work properly. problem is when we use phone and it gets heated at top then the glue which is holding earpiece grill will loose itself. its hardware problem and eventually many note3 users will face this. im using exynos note3.

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Hello everyone. I found the cause of this I hope. The main culprit is hardware. 1st I will tell solution for this problem. Just push hard the earpiece chrome grill inside with ur nails and the proximity sensor will work properly. problem is when we use phone and it gets heated at top then the glue which is holding earpiece grill will loose itself. its hardware problem and eventually many note3 users will face this. im using exynos note3.

No such luck here with this approach.

I'm expecting a replacement phone from Tmobile this coming week. Hopefully the sensor works properly on the replacement unit.

tns12

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

i did this and it seems to work, press very hard on it now the darn thing works

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE:
I received a replacement phone from Tmobile today and (so far) the proximity sensor is working as intended. I'll post here if this changes.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I tried it on mine and it doesn't move at all. I checked on my S3 and the grill is leveled with the rest of the phone..... I went to check on my S4 and the grill is out just like in the Note 3 and I never had that problem with the S4.... so I am sure it is a hardware issue but I don believe that is the solution .... that's my opinion...........

mullarameez

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

I tried it on mine and it doesn't move at all. I checked on my S3 and the grill is leveled with the rest of the phone..... I went to check on my S4 and the grill is out just like in the Note 3 and I never had that problem with the S4.... so I am sure it is a hardware issue but I don believe that is the solution .... that's my opinion...........
Make a call and then moderately press near front camera or SAMSUNG written bellow earpiece and check proximity sensor. It will work properly as soon as you remove pressure the sensor will stop working..

Josh Carlson2

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Make a call and then moderately press near front camera or SAMSUNG written bellow earpiece and check proximity sensor. It will work properly as soon as you remove pressure the sensor will stop working..

2nd that. exact results.

however, my gesture waves when the screen is off, work just fine. i almost wonder if it could be remedied by software or firmware. with the screen on, it seems to function differently.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I got a warranty exchange and the new phone works as intended.
How far in between between the first and second phone ? Reason I ask is because I got mine on the 1st of October and then after having noticed that problem plus one I was having with connectivity I went back I got the second one on the 12th. The connectivity issue was solved however, the sensor problem never did. If nothing gets fixed in 6 months and maybe the S5 is out and looking good by that time and since I have JUMP... I will jump, cause another thing that I have experienced a couple of times is that while trying to end a phone call it freezes and I have to close the app with the home button. Has any one experienced this part ??:mad:

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I bought my original phone on release date, and I'm sure the proximity sensor never worked correctly right out of the box. So it's been a month or so now?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I bought my original phone on release date, and I'm sure the proximity sensor never worked correctly right out of the box. So it's been a month or so now?
What I meant was: did you exchanged it withing the first month ?

mullarameez

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Guys ITS PROXIMITY SENSOR HARDWARE issue.. My brother bought Note3 & his ADC value is 13/15 so i just opened both the devices and replaced my device's proximity sensor with his proximity sensor and now my phone shows ADC 13/15.. So its hardware issue.. Though before my Device's ADC value with faulty proximity sensor was 65/68. The ADC values which trigger Proximity vaules are 123/124 will set Proximity value to 1 and 77/78 will set proximity back to 0. Basically if there is finger print on sensor area then also ADC changes by 10/15 points. so my device with faulty sensor used to work properly if i clean sensor area as it then sets ADC to 65/68 bt as soon as some dust or finger on sensor area my device sensor stop working because ADC value never comes down below 77/78 and hence in calls display goes off but never turns on after removing from ear.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Guys ITS PROXIMITY SENSOR HARDWARE issue.. My brother bought Note3 & his ADC value is 13/15 so i just opened both the devices and replaced my device's proximity sensor with his proximity sensor and now my phone shows ADC 13/15.. So its hardware issue.. Though before my Device's ADC value with faulty proximity sensor was 65/68. The ADC values which trigger Proximity vaules are 123/124 will set Proximity value to 1 and 77/78 will set proximity back to 0. Basically if there is finger print on sensor area then also ADC changes by 10/15 points. so my device with faulty sensor used to work properly if i clean sensor area as it then sets ADC to 65/68 bt as soon as some dust or finger on sensor area my device sensor stop working because ADC value never comes down below 77/78 and hence in calls display goes off but never turns on after removing from ear.

exactly my experience.. my old phone's ADC value was default at 80ish.

The new phone is 10. All the phones I tested at BB were from 0-16 with no finger on the sensor.

cman6453

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I removed my iLoome Flex screen protector and VOILA, it's working as expected. The ADC on my phone was defaulting to 80ish with the iLoome on. I'll have to see what it is without it. Now back to searching for a worthy screen protector. Damn, I loved that iLoome!!!

ayg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I too have the proximity sensor issue where the phone doesn't register when I pull it away from my face post phone call. My default ADC value is the low 80's (although it fluctuates) and will register a 1000 if I pass my hand over it. Even though its registered the interaction and has turned green it doesn't turn back to white even though the ADC value goes back to a resting rate of 80. This to me says its a software bug.

I have a AT&T N900A model that has never had a screen protector on it a day in its life. Whether the screen is dirty or not has no consequence and no I don't carry a can of air to hourly blow the sensor out via the ear piece.

Very frustrating. I've had the Note 1, Note 2 and Note 3 and no real problems till this one... not to mention the 3 other Samsung Androids I've had (NS, S2, GN)

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

It's not a software bug. Its' the proximity sensor's resting value. If it's off from the factory, no calibration can correct that. Just think about it.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Does any one knows if Samsung is already putting out any new note 3 with the fixed hardware ?

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

It's not a software bug. Its' the proximity sensor's resting value. If it's off from the factory, no calibration can correct that. Just think about it.

Correct. This is definitely a hardware issue.