Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

Paxdad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note3 proximity sensor issue during calls

This is a known problem with the Galaxy line of phones. Shoot the ear piece with compressed air. I do not believe this is a broken hardware issue or software issue, it is apparently a design issue. I spoke with T-mobile Support and they gave me this info and the idea, The proximity sensor has a tendency to get fouled with dust and this should clear it. It works on my G S4 but I have to do it every week or so. Really really lame that a phone in this price range can't manage to protect the sensor from getting fouled with dust.

Last edited:

cman6453

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE: So in my case, it was not a hardware issue but a screen protector issue. After contacting iLoome, they acknowledged the issue with other consumers experiencing the same thing. The Flex model protector was updated, I got a refund, got another protector and VOILA, problem gone. Props to iLoome for not even blinking twice to give me a refund! On the updated version there is now a cut out for the sensors on the right of the handset earpiece. Not sure what all the air blowing was for but whatever works I guess! Now back to enjoying the Note 3 experience!!!

Greg Vellas

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Blew in the earpiece really hard and it works again, even with my screen protector on. Freaking Samsung with your design flaws

Tim Crook

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I also have had the same issue and yes blowing into the earpiece did fix my issue. I do keep my phone in my pocket so i'm sure I will run into this issue again.

Lagunadrojd

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm on my 2nd Note 3 in about 2.5 months and am once again experiencing this issue. I've been hesitant to send my phone in to Samsung for an evaluation (I have no idea what they will actually DO during such an evaluation) but I guess that's about my only option unless I want to warranty exchange it with AT&T again..... I'm very reluctant to do THAT, because it would seem most likely that I'd just get another phone which will work for a few weeks and then begin to fail in the same way as the others.

Super frustrating!

youngfellainc

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I was able to fix screen sensor issues by clearing the cache (Reboot phone; Hold volume up and the home button until the blue notice appears in the upper-left corner; choose to clear the cache; reboot the phone when cache is cleared). Hope this helps!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Just a thought, have any of you guys thought about bathing frequently enough or holding the phone away from your dirty ears to prevent the proximity sensor from getting dirty? :p

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

This is a known problem with the Galaxy line of phones. Shoot the ear piece with compressed air. I do not believe this is a broken hardware issue or software issue, it is apparently a design issue. I spoke with T-mobile Support and they gave me this info and the idea, The proximity sensor has a tendency to get fouled with dust and this should clear it. It works on my G S4 but I have to do it every week or so. Really really lame that a phone in this price range can't manage to protect the sensor from getting fouled with dust.
Do you own a Note 3 ? ... I know it is a known problem ...but let me tell you ...at least for me.......this fix doesn't work ......I concur with DEAJ.....it is a hardware issue.... for some people the air works... for other taking out the SD card works.... for other removing the screen protector works.........as you read the several threads on this, you will find out that there is not one specific reason to this problem.... there fore, I believe this is a hardware problem.... based on the fact that I owned and S3 and a S4... and I never had this kind of a problem with them ...... what I have done is learn how to live with it until either the Note4 or the S5 comes out... and I will be jumping ship if they don't have this kind of a problem.

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Tody I brought my Note 3 to the A/S center for the proximity sensor issue and they fixed it. Apparently the sensor was loose or some dust were present which they told to be the cause of the problem. Now it's working perfectly. :)

ysok123

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

confirmed, it was a dust at the sensor. After blew it with airbrush, it started to work as normal.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

So why do I keep blowing the sensor with an air bottle and nothing changes ?

nettech207

May 23, 2012
Visit site

Well after reading this thread I noticed my phone doing the same thing tried all the suggestion listed above and nothing happened then i simply restarted my phone and the problem went away phone works great sensor not having any issue

deankaltsas

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

i'm done....note 3 ..factory reset 2 times, t-mobile sending new phone. second phone bought same time, no issues at all. i wonder what it is with this sensor?

vidip25

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

are you guys getting a brand new phone for the replacement or a refurbished? I think AT&T only gives refurbished. my note 3 has same issue and i do not want to exchange if i'm getting a refurbished one.

bad_IP

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
Just want to share my experience with this problem.
My proximity sensor did not turn on my screen after calls. As last resort, i brought one of those cans with pressurized air made for cleaning electronics. I gave the speaker a careful blow. And it worked! I don't know how long it will stay clean... But as for now, i can sleep well at night again ;-) Merry xmas from Norway

Posted via Android Central App

ZapfDlngbats

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

I bought my phone yesterday and today I made my first call and the sensor did not work. I went back to the store and they gave me another phone after spending 1 hour on the phone with Samsung rep trying to fix my Note 3.
The new note 3 they gave me is working right now. I have not installed the new Samsung and Verizon update yet. Do you guys know if these 2 updates are known to cause the proximity sensor to fail (software bug)?

Also after reading all your posts, I did try to fix the phone before returning to the store
1) Default setting reset -> nothing
2) Factory reset -> nope
3) Can air -> nope

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Got my replacement note 3 today. It is in better shape than my original. Button seems a bit tighter and the sensor is working off the latest updates. Hope all continues to go awesome.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Hi guys,
Just want to share my experience with this problem.
My proximity sensor did not turn on my screen after calls. As last resort, i brought one of those cans with pressurized air made for cleaning electronics. I gave the speaker a careful blow. And it worked! I don't know how long it will stay clean... But as for now, i can sleep well at night again ;-) Merry xmas from Norway

Posted via Android Central App

That is unacceptable. To have to blow compressed air every time dust builds up to make it work is not a fix, but a bandaid.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I bought my phone yesterday and today I made my first call and the sensor did not work. I went back to the store and they gave me another phone after spending 1 hour on the phone with Samsung rep trying to fix my Note 3.
The new note 3 they gave me is working right now. I have not installed the new Samsung and Verizon update yet. Do you guys know if these 2 updates are known to cause the proximity sensor to fail (software bug)?

Also after reading all your posts, I did try to fix the phone before returning to the store
1) Default setting reset -> nothing
2) Factory reset -> nope
3) Can air -> nope

The problem is hardware related. Nothing to do with software.

denialnw10

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys, just an update. Got mine repaired by Samsung under warranty. Had it back for a week now and no issues. Definitely a hardware issue.