Note 8 - New Motherboard & Battery Causing App Issues

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

Had to get a new motherboard and battery installed on my Note 8 and the resulting restore of my previous Note 8 version is causing a lot of problems. All apps that have been 'restored' need to be fully set up again as if they were virgin installations. Had to disable Bixby button and home screen again. None of the system settings were restored. Is this something that is to be expected from a backup restore? I would have thought it restores all my settings and app configurations also.

More importantly, it is now impossible to add my work email account (Microsoft Exchange) to Outlook. It did work without any problems before the replacement of motherboard and battery. Every time when I try to set up the account, a dialogue pops up asking me for my Google account details. If I decline, I am brought back to the initial setup screen. If I enter my Google credentials, my Gmail account is added but if I try to add another account, once again the only option I have is adding a Google account. Has anyone experienced this issue and knows how to solve it? Since this is my work phone, it would be useless to me if I can't set up my work email account.

As regards troubleshooting, I tried to uninstall and reinstall Outlook and even tried to restore from backup again but to no avail.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I did try that. In addition, they flushed the phone at Samsung so that should be even 'cleaner' than a full factory reset I suppose...

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did try that. In addition, they flushed the phone at Samsung so that should be even 'cleaner' than a full factory reset I suppose...

you're going to have to re-add everything like new. you can't sync apps and expect them to function flawlessly. you can sync photos, calendars, contacts, etc. but best not to try to import your apps. adding them one by one will also help identify problems.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
For everyone's benefit, I solved the Outlook issue by disabling Samsung Internet and setting Chrome as default browser. After doing this, the Google 'landing page' gave me the option to select that this is not a Google account and from there I could proceed with the regular Microsoft Exchange setup.

What still bothers me immensely though is that none of the settings, in particular notification settings, were restored from the backup as it takes a long time to reconfigure everything as it was - but I guess it is what it is...

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Did they really replace the motherboard and battery rather than just swapping it out for another Note 8? That seems extreme and to be honest, it should warrant a full replacement it seems! Hope you get the problems worked out.

Zello_Police

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
One way to find out is by checking the imei number. Besides, those guys at Samsung have all the tools to take a device apart and switch those circuits on a snap. It's not that difficult.

Last edited:

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Did they really replace the motherboard and battery rather than just swapping it out for another Note 8? That seems extreme and to be honest, it should warrant a full replacement it seems! Hope you get the problems worked out.

Yes, they did. I asked the same and was requesting a new device but they said it was not possible and instead they had to change motherboard and battery...

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
One way to find out is by checking the imei number. Besides, those guys at Samsung have all the tools to take a device apart and switch those circuits on a snap. It's not that difficult.

Exactly, the IMEI number is different. Perhaps that is the reason I had to set up everything like a completely new device despite using backup?

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure? They were claiming that they had to wait for some software from Samsung to write the new IMEI number on the motherboard. I'm not an expert, just repeating what they told me...

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Heaps of issues since the replacement (be it motherboard/battery or entire device). Phone still gets very hot (almost 40 centigrade when not in use) and in general experience is a lot slower. Samsung Pay takes close to a minute to open and the travel card function (i.e. simply holding to tube card readwr) is not working anymore at all. Does this warrant a device exchange? I'm getting increasingly frustrated with this device.

Zolti

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Heaps of issues since the replacement (be it motherboard/battery or entire device). Phone still gets very hot (almost 40 centigrade when not in use) and in general experience is a lot slower. Samsung Pay takes close to a minute to open and the travel card function (i.e. simply holding to tube card readwr) is not working anymore at all. Does this warrant a device exchange? I'm getting increasingly frustrated with this device.

If it's possible, ask for an exchange, new device.

Zolti

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Will definitely do but last time they were refusing outright. Will try Samsung Live Chat when they open in half an hour or otherwise go through Vodafone who sold me this device...

How old is your device, since when you bought it?

If out of luck at Vodafone, definitely write to Samsung about your issue.

Wishing you best of luck, and keep us posted how it turned out.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Don't let them to avoid an exchange, you'll be missing out on an awesome device.

That's encouraging. I am really trying hard to wean myself off Apple after ten years of iPhone and 15-odd years of Mac but the initial experience with the Note 8 is not making it easy...

Zolti

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
That's encouraging. I am really trying hard to ween myself off Apple after ten years of iPhone and 15-odd years of Mac but the initial experience with the Note 8 is not making it easy...
I can fully understand that. Since these devices are mass-produced, some faulty ones still slip trough the quality control, no matter the price tag.

I sincerely hope that soon you can enjoy a new Note 8, without any difficulties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olyria10