Notification Problems - NEVER FIXED

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am having this issue. It's mostly the notifications from Google tasks. I don't seem to have the issue with notifications from anything else. If I'm not mistaken, this happened before, then corrected itself, but now it's back. I'm going to try another task app and see what happens.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's some info. I downloaded Microsoft todo. Put in my tasks, set times and, so far, they've all been right on time. I'll update again after tomorrow. So far though, it seems like a Google issue because all my late tasks came late on all my devices.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's weird because I have my S10+ sitting on my desk now next to my Windows PC. My AOD is blinking at the same time I see the Gmail notifications in Chrome on my desktop.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's an update. So far, my Microsoft todo notifications are spot on. Gmail task still a few minutes behind. I'll update tonight.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, now both Google tasks and Microsoft todo tasks are running about 2-3 minutes behind the set time. I can't figure it out.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I can say on a Pixel 4XL, I have never had this problem (I know of) with gmail and/or google messages; the other apps noted I do not have. When on my computer the phone will chirp with a message and show up on the "Your Phone" app on my computer about a second or two after the phone receives it. And in many cases, this is a notification via messages I requested from a financial firm with the code for a two-step verification so I know it is coming and know it arrives in seconds after requesting.)

As for gmail, my phone chirps a good 30 seconds before, and the AOD shows an mail icon. Then about 30 seconds later I get a pop up on my laptop that I have a new email.

This has been true for Android 11 and still with Android 12.

Service is Tracfone; running on Verizon towers. Not sure if that would make a difference, since when I'm on my computer or tablet (with wifi) the phone is also on Wifi.

Under gmail and messages notifications I have every option turned On.

Messages chat features all turn On.
zqwu3zk.jpg

Last edited:

casnay

Dec 12, 2021
Visit site
I have the problem of notifications not coming through regularly after the phone updated to A12" this week. I had the problem in A11 as well and it turned out to be adaptive notifications was turned on. It went back to normal after switching this off though it randomly turned back on so kept an eye on it. On using A12 this week ive noticed the same behaviour and found the adaptive setting has gone. Did a web search and its changed to enhanced notification settings and various places showed it was in the notification settings. Except on my s21 ultra that setting is missing so ive got some AI deciding on what notifications i should see. Ive reported to samsung but they have taken no notice.

Also the pin media player to notification setting is missing so my internet radio app doesnt show as a BUDS Pro notification now with the controls on it so to change station now i have to open app and the same to stop /start it.

Tomcat222

Dec 29, 2021
Visit site
After long searching on the Internet and trying common advices as a disabling battery optimizations, Adaptive Notifications and all those features that didn't help at all, I found the XDA Developers forum where I finally got to the bottom of this issue.

This problem is caused by functionality called as "DOZE", which is implemented in the Android core since Android 6.

https://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby

Basically what is does is that it tries to preserve the phone battery life in a very aggressive way that basically puts all applications and network activity to standby until the maintenance window occurs. The maintenance window is a very short time period where all events from applications waiting in the queue are processed at once and then it puts all apps to standby again until next maintenance window occurs.

Problem is that with every next maintenance window the intervals between those windows are increasing every time up to some long limit. So if you haven't touched your phone for a longer time, like half an hour and the event happens, you will get the notification in the next maintenance window that may be tens of minutes from that moment.

I don't know how Google can act as this is OK. It is NOT!! For me it was causing serious problems with my Forex trading app that didn't display price alerts on time when the event happened but like 5, 15, 30 minutes or even almost 1 hour later !! which is not useful for me because the opportunity for the trade was already gone...

So solution is to disable the "DOZE" in your phone manually using ADB commands. I did it and it works, now I get instant notifications. Unfortunately this has to be done every time after phone reboot as it turns itself the DOZE back on again.

Here is a page with more details:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...letely-disabling-deviceidle-doze-in-android-m

Basically you just issue this ADB command: dumpsys deviceidle disable

You can also put the application to the Doze whitelist but not sure if it works, when I displayed the list, I found out my trading app was already there, maybe because I removed it from the Battery saving policy but the Doze was probably still suspending everything so it worked only in those maintenance windows. I guess it doesn't use those "high-priority FCM messages" described in the DOZE description to force the notifications instantly.

If you are not familiar with ADB, here is some info:

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb

I used a paid app that allows local ADB connection from the phone directly, so I can disable DOZE after every restart. More info here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...l-without-needing-root-or-a-computer.4204855/

It is very sad that this basic feature as an instant notifications have to be fixed via the developer debug interface by user instead of Google who could fix it in the OS itself...shame on Google...

More forums on this topic:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...truly-pathetic-of-google-and-samsung.4276505/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/delayed-notification-problems-s21-ultra.4243105/page-5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy McFluffy