[ODIN] Stock Rooted ED1 (downgrade from ED2) [2011.05.18]

wynalazca

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
[warn]Android Central, and I disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.
[/warn]

I posted this over at XDA and people are confirming that it works. It installs ED1 and it's pre-rooted so all you need to do is install superuser.

Well here is something that I hope is the start of some hardcore hacking.

This is an ODIN that I created of stock-rooted ED1 for the DROID Charge. In the course of making this, I bricked my charge (first attempt failed in ODIN) and then created a working ODIN that un-bricked it. I then upgraded to ED2 (I confirmed that I lost root as well) so I could test if this will downgrade back to ED1 and it worked and I have root again!

[NOTE]Before attempting this procedure please make sure you have drivers installed, if you have not and dont know where to get them, here you go:
Direct Driver Download:
[/NOTE]

Instructions for ODIN (for those who are unfamiliar with it):
  1. Open ODIN.
  2. Put the phone into download mode. Do this by powering off your phone, pulling out the battery, and then holding volume down while connecting it to your pc. A giant yellow triangle should be on the phone's screen and it should say 'Downloading...' ODIN should say 'Added!!' and one of the boxes will be yellow and say '0:[COM7]'
  3. Click the button labeled 'PDA' and locate the file you are wanting to flash. For emphasis: YOU MUST USE THE PDA BUTTON!
  4. Click start. Do not disconnect the phone while it is flashing, it can cause some serious damage.
  5. Wait.
  6. When finished, unplug the phone, put the battery back in and power up the phone.

Every time I've flashed this, the phone booted straight into recovery. Just select reboot (press home) and it boots up normally. It should probably be recommended to wipe data and cache afterwards, but I didn't and all of my data stayed in tact.

Multiple people have reported that this works. Use at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone if this doesn't work.

Thanks to imnuts for the HOW-TO thread on creating ODIN builds.

Download here.

Download ODIN here.

[tip]Trouble Shooting

Odin application displays one of the following in message box OR Odin is locking up in the middle of the process
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Resolution
90% of problems associated with Odin are due to communication between phone and computer

• Reboot your computer
  • Redownload the odin package
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer, if you already are use a different port
  • Make sure you did not forget to remove battery from phone (Should be out the ENTIRE process)
  • make sure Odin is the only application running and Antivirus is DISABLED
  • If you are using a laptop make sure its plugged in also find the nearest desktop and try from there
After failed flash with odin upon power up the following is depicted on the screen

SOFT BRICK
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

Resolution
First off DO NOT PANIC. there is a simple solution, just remove the battery , plug the phone into the computer, press and hold volume down and it will enter download mode. Please review all the steps oulined in this thread and try and flash again[/tip]

to my redbull habit if you feel the need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyephone

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Donations on its way. I feel like a bit of a noob coming from what I figured was an advanced Droid X user with the ODIN, etc.

Cant wait to try this!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE]There is a reason i did not do this in the first place. Although this is a simple solution to the problem its an dangerous one at the moment. Because we do not know how this will effect future updates miss matching firmware usually results in update failure so if our basebands do not match our builds and the updates search for this then it may cause a failure..Then the arguement can be made that we can always make another odin package for those who went this route. But again what if they change the radios (because now we need to worry about the LTE one aswell) and the kernel will only work with the new radio. This is my major concern with odin packages until we get an official version. Also in the past when working with the continuum i found that sometime thing go wrong with a flash and it may disable the radio leaving your baseband as unknown. Again we do not have a flashable version of the radio to safeguard us from this.This is why imnuts mentioned to use the odin method only for backing up.

Was all of this considered?[/NOTE]

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
Worked like a charm! It took all of 5 minutes and the majority of that was just downloading drivers/ODIN!

Thanks so much, donation coming soon! This makes life much easier for those of us who didn't have a choice or like me...were dumb...and downloaded the update immediately!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE]There is a reason i did not do this in the first place. Although this is a simple solution to the problem its an dangerous one at the moment. Because we do not know how this will effect future updates miss matching firmware usually results in update failure so if our basebands do not match our builds and the updates search for this then it may cause a failure..Then the arguement can be made that we can always make another odin package for those who went this route. But again what if they change the radios (because now we need to worry about the LTE one aswell) and the kernel will only work with the new radio. This is my major concern with odin packages until we get an official version. Also in the past when working with the continuum i found that sometime thing go wrong with a flash and it may disable the radio leaving your baseband as unknown. Again we do not have a flashable version of the radio to safeguard us from this.This is why imnuts mentioned to use the odin method only for backing up.

Otherwise good job on getting this made seems like people are flashing it cleanly

Reactions: junksecret

wynalazca

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

It crossed my mind. All this is is a dump of ED1 I made and then packaged into a flashable ODIN. When you use this to downgrade you instantly get a popup stating there is an upgrade available (to ED2.) I have a feeling this will in no way effect future updates coming from verizon. Thanks for your concern.

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So i connected the phone and put it into download mode but the odin never registered anything as added in the boxes... I'm brand new to odin so please exuse the noobery....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So i connected the phone and put it into download mode but the odin never registered anything as added in the boxes... I'm brand new to odin so please exuse the noobery....

please be aware of my concerns that I addresed .....did you download and install the drivers...try using ports in the back of the computer aswell

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Ludasmith

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Edit, I see someone else is having the same problem. I'd like to add:

I have a "gadget serial" in device manager that has an exclamation point next to it. Do the standard Samsung drivers work on this or do we need something else?

I used the drivers that were for rooting that were the Samsung package.

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
ah forgot to install the drivers... I haven't seen any popups asking me to install them when i connect the phone in debugging mode... is it cause i'm using a work computer that might have limited permissions?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Edit, I see someone else is having the same problem. I'd like to add:

I have a "gadget serial" in device manager that has an exclamation point next to it. Do the standard Samsung drivers work on this or do we need something else?

I used the drivers that were for rooting that were the Samsung package.

In the stickies there is a drivers.thread with a download. Download and install them

Ludasmith

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In the stickies there is a drivers.thread with a download. Download and install them

Yeah I'm an idiot. I installed them at home when I got the phone, not here at the office. Too many computers.

Thanks man. I hate being one of *those* guys haha

shadowdude777

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to vouch for this working with the Samsung drivers and the Odin executable supplied on Win7 Ultimate x64. Thanks so much! I'm already rooted. :)

Trusty

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
After going back to ED1, I accidentally allowed the phone to download the ED2 file. The phone hasn't installed it yet. Does anyone know where is the ED2 file located and what is it named? Can I delete the file to prevent it from being installed or should I just let it install and then use ODIN to go back to rooted ED1?

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
After going back to ED1, I accidentally allowed the phone to download the ED2 file. The phone hasn't installed it yet. Does anyone know where is the ED2 file located and what is it named? Can I delete the file to prevent it from being installed or should I just let it install and then use ODIN to go back to rooted ED1?

Read the sticky thread regarding rooting. Some suggesting renaming the ed1 file to prevent such issues.

I'm sure the dl is in a standard dl folder.

Black-Falcon

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It's probably on the sdcard in the update.zip format (I did the downgrade, and when it booted into recovery it found the update file)

Just don't apply the update, and go through your build.prop and replace all instances of ED1 with ED2 and the messages should stop (they did for me)

Now I'm just patiently awaiting the devs to find a way to root ED2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz