Ok Pixel owners - the S8 is here. Who's jumping ship?

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Left the S7E for my Pixel XL, Samsung makes a beautiful phone, but the edges always seemed like wasted real estate and being forced to have apps on my phone that I didn't want/use pushed me towards the Pixel, which has been a stellar experience for me. I really don't see myself going back.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I don't like the Pixel, or stock Android and have had a lot of problems with my XL after I had to return my Note 7.
The 8+ is tempting but I have to pay off the Pixel still and that's a good thing because what I really want is the
Note 8.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the Pixel, or stock Android and have had a lot of problems with my XL after I had to return my Note 7.
The 8+ is tempting but I have to pay off the Pixel still and that's a good thing because what I really want is the
Note 8.

Hopefully the Note 8 is awesome

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't trust Sony for anything. They keep on managing to do stupid / irresponsible things, each time in a different division.

HpGregory

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm really thinking about jumping from my Pixel XL. I love my Pixel and hate edge screens but I can get a great trade in deal on my old S6 on Verizon plus I'm really liking the idea of Samsung Pay. Android Pay i be backs great when I can use it but there are so few places that take it. The waterproofing and wireless charging are enticing too.

Don't do it! I came from a Galaxy S6 Edge+. While it looks cool and all, the curved display shattered after one drop of less than 1' onto hardwood floors... While it was in a case. The back also shattered in that same fall. The UI Is a pain in the butt to deal with and if you care about having the latest OS updates, you'll hate it even more. Your carrier will force load all this mess on your device that you're stuck with, the updates come a year late, security updates lag, etc. I'd say without a doubt that the Samsung brand is the worst I've ever dealt with. Their support is horrid too... I've sworn off ever dealing with them again after my washing machine recall and problems with my S6 Edge+.

HpGregory

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I hope you enjoy it, but if you live in the US and have to deal with carrier forced bloatware, long delayed updates, and Samsung's horrid service I think you'll regret your purchase. That's my experience with Samsung. It was almost enough to make me go back to iOS, but I got a Nexus 6P and loved it, then a Pixel XL. Samsung has nothing on stock Android.

HpGregory

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
What problems have you had? You know Google is really good about sending replacement devices if you have a serious flaw. My Pixel XL has been pretty much flawless even on beta releases. There's not any features Samsung, Sony, LG offer that I'd be so enthralled to get that I would trade in knowing I'll always have up to date OS, security updates or Google's support channels.

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually HAVE made the switch.... just received the S8 (normal, not plus) yesterday.
Still have my pixel xl incase I want to return the s8 for any reasons.

I am definitely a skeptic.
BUT as of now... the S8 IS as smooth as the pixel in operation for me.
I have yet to have an accidental edge touch (I had a note 7 - and I believe samsung got the curvature correct finally, MUCH better than S6 edge and S7 edge).

Call me a snob or something, but when I look at the Pixel XL - its just SO big (not a one handed device for me) with so much bezel - and it looks so last gen.
The S8 sitting next to it, has MORE screen, almost no bezel, and looks like its from the future in my mind.
The "seperate app sound settings" thing that samsung made is AWESOME for in my car (if I pull up a game while waiting or something, it won't take over the car stereo AND be lagged behind the action on the screen ta boot)

Size wize - honestly still have to do a bit of a "hand dance" for one handed operation. BUT its narrower and I can actually have my fingers on the edge while doing the "hand dance" making it much more usable.

BUT THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER LOCATION SUCKS EVERY BIT AS MUCH AS YOU THINK lol.
Don't let people tell you otherwise. MAYBE with a case it would direct my finger to it more. MAYBE.

I'm probably making the switch permanently though...
just my 2 cents

HpGregory

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
This is the truth. Samsung intentionally withholds updates until after their new flagship is out so saps will run to the store and order a new phone. There's nothing my S6 Edge+ does in Nougat (now that it just finally got updated) that my Pixel XL can't do. My Galaxy was so infuriating that last year I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Nexus 6P (which was my favorite phone ever, and honestly I liked it as much as my Pixel XL), then got looped in to buying a Pixel XL. I gave my 6P to someone that I know who financially couldn't afford a new phone, and mine was only a few months old, in perfect condition. It was a hard thing to give it up, but I'm glad they enjoy it. Other bonus for Pixels vs. Samsung is project fi. I'm switching from AT&T to Fi as soon as I can later this year. A bunch of my friends and family have already switched and love it. Can't use the tri-carriers on a GS8.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I am jumping ship to the 8+ but not without a hint of reluctance. I have an s8, s8+ and Pixel XL in hand. Along with a g6. (yes I have problems)

The 8+ from a hardware perspective really does make the Pixel look a little aged. Also, Touchwiz is no longer the same awful UI it used to be, it looks good and actually provides some nice functionality. The fingerprint sensor is bad, but facial recognition almost 100% makes up for it, amazing. All in all the s8 offers a throwback to the note7 but feels updated in every way. It is really nice.

However, going back to the Pixel XL in hand and you do start to question the new aspect ratio a little. Also, it is easy to forget how incredible the pixel software is after getting used to it. My launch day pixel still runs like the day it came out of the box. Everything down to the little unlock and lock sounds is just perfect. It is polished like no other from a software perspective.

Ultimately, high resale value of the pixel, no ip68, samsung pay and some of the geeky gizmos that the s8 provides will force the pixel to swappa.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When I was playing with the S8 I thought it made the Pixel look beautiful. The S8 just looks garish to me, but it's mostly because of all the curves and glass that I feel like they're trying to make it look like jewelry instead of a phone. Pixel XL in blue just looks amazingly better.

TGIS

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I wouldnt touch an S8 if i got one for free, their cartoony childish ui and bug ridden release day mess of the OS, camera and other problems is annoying and, like Apple.. they are overpriced rubbish.. SS tell you its glass, but its really plastic and cardboard..

Ive owned every single SS flasgship since the orignal Galaxy... through the S2, S3 > S5 > S7E... and EVERY one of them had lagg or camera issues, crashes and lock ups... and for me.. Im done with Samsung

The longer we as consumers continue to support these arrogant companies who rip us off year after year with their slow weeks or months bug fixes and updates, the more theyll do it... Give me a Huawei or LG over SS or Apple any day.

No Thanks SS

oh same