Old Google Calendar events don't show on the new phone

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My S3 died in the middle of September. I used an old Epic 4G until last week. I now have an S3 again. I just noticed that the only calendar events that show up on the new S3 are those that occurred since mid September, plus those events that were already set up to recur (reminders for birthdays, mortgage, etc.). My Google calendar on the desktop pc shows ALL events, both new and old.

I haven't been able to find any posts here that address this, so I'm thinking that I'm missing a setting check-box somewhere. Hopefully this is a simple fix that's my fault and not a Google thing.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. make sure you have latest App update for Google Calendar.
2. go into Google Calendar App Settings and make sure all "Calendars to Use" boxes are checked.
3. make sure that whatever Calendar App you are using is saving events to Gmail cloud and not its own internal DB.

good luck.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
thanks. All my settings look good, but still no luck.

I did find something suggesting I go to the web-based Google Calendar, export it, and then just import it right back - all in the web-based app. I get an error message when I try to import it though - 'Failed to import events: Processing error during upload.' So, I am not having any luck yet.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
maybe try uninstalling all Google Calendar updates, clear App Cache/Data, and then resync.

last resort might be a total factory fresh reset and then do a manual resync reinstall one by one.

good luck.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Where to I find any Google Calendar updates, if there are any? Thx

Also, I've continued reading other search results and see where others seem to have had the same issue - where only the most recent 30 days events show on the phone, while everything continues to show on the web-based Calendar. Supposedly some people have this issue and others don't. The app CalenGoo is supposed to be able to get around this issue...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. App Drawer--->Settings--->Google Calendar--->Uninstall Updates / Clear App Cache/Data
2. Google Calendar should sync events from the last 1 year.
3. CalenGoo is a kludge and i would not find that acceptable.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
1. App Drawer--->Settings--->Google Calendar--->Uninstall Updates / Clear App Cache/Data
2. Google Calendar should sync events from the last 1 year.
3. CalenGoo is a kludge and i would not find that acceptable.

OK, here's what I've done. From S3 home screen, to Settings > Application Manager. There is no Google Calendar, but there is 'Calendar'. Chose it, there is no option to Uninstall Updates, but I could Clear data and Clear cache, which I did. So far, nothing shows any differently in the Calendar app - still only showing the last 30 days worth of events + all recurring events and birthdays.
When you say CalenGoo is a kludge, what do you mean? I assume it's not good, I just have never heard that term before ;)

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I may have found something that could be part of my problem -
From my home screen > Menu > Settings > Application Manager > ALL (previously I had been looking at 'Running' applications here). Under ALL applications there are 2 apps called Calendar. One has a mostly green icon and shows a version 4.1.2-L710VPBMD4. It has total storage of 0.00B. The other icon is mostly blue and shows version 201306302. It has 3.59 MB of total storage.
I cleared data and cleared cache for both. I then went into the Calendar app, and all 30 days worth of events were still there (I thought clearing my data and cache would've erased my entries?). I then turned Sync back on from my home page notification bar, but saw no change in what events showed in the calendar app - still just the last 30 days + recurring and birthdays.
I never paid any attention before to whether there were 2 apps that were both called 'Calendar'. Is this normal, or does it indicate a problem?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
i would do a total factory fresh reset and then do a manual resync reinstall one by one.

OK, I just did a reset - When the phone first powers up after the reset, it asks me to sign into my Gmail account, which I did. I have not done anything as far as downloading/updating of ANY apps. When I go into the Calendar, I see the last 30 days worth of events + recurring and birthdays already in place. Nothing older than 30 days except those recurring events and birthdays. Am I supposed to see ANY events at this point after a reset?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Google Calendar App syncs back 1 year and near infinite forward. so if you are using the updated Google Calendar App and you have it set to sync with AND show your Google Calendar you should see all of these events.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Google Calendar App syncs back 1 year and near infinite forward. so if you are using the updated Google Calendar App and you have it set to sync with AND show your Google Calendar you should see all of these events.

The 1st app I downloaded and installed was the Google Calendar, version 201306302 as noted in one of the posts here. In that app, under 'Calendars to display' both 'My Calendar' and 'XXXXX@gmail.com' are checked. Under 'Calendars to Sync', the same 2 calendars are checked. And the app states that both are actually synced.

I appreciate your help and time with this issue, but I am not able to see more than the last 30 days worth of events. It seems strange to me that recurring events that were set up years ago will show on the new phone, but events will not. I have seen posts from other places on the web referring to the EXACT problem I am having, so I do know it's not happening on just my phone. I have not been able to find a menu setting anywhere, either in the Calendar app or elsewhere on the phone, that would let me change what events do and/or don't get synced.
I have moved from old phones to new ones a couple times over the past several years and NEVER had this happen, so it's very strange to me. Gekko, you mentioned that you would not recommend using any app like CalenGoo. I'm getting close to giving it a try. Why specifically would you not use it?

astan#AC

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I looked at my Google Calendar on my desktop browser for the oldest event and noted the date and description. I went to settings and exported the Calender to my pc. Using notepad, I used edit to find the event "summary" with that title in the .ics file. I changed the event title in the summary by adding a word (any word or character will do.) I saved the modified .ics file and imported the modified .ics back into Google Calender on the desktop. When I resynced the phone, the event dates went all the way back to 2009.

ccarrot

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, this post gave me the clues needed to get mine working in 2017!

I don't know if Google changed something, but just editing the Summary: field for my oldest known event then re-importing the edited ics file didn't work for me. What did work, however, was finding a recent event by the Summary: field, copying the contents of that event's Created: field, then pasting that into the Created: field of my oldest known event (again found by searching the Summary, as you described). When I imported the resulting edited and saved ics file into my calendar using my laptop, a quick sync on my phone shows all events back to that oldest event! Awesome dude, thanks so much!

As an added bonus, Google didn't add the imported items as duplicate events, either on my laptop or my phone! Double awesome 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky