Phone radio is killing my battery on a S6 & Wifi signal is very poor - please help?

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm new to these forums and having read through more posts than I remember I think I need some help - apologies in advance for the length of this post!

I bought a S6 approx 4 weeks ago, having had the S4 which served me well. I immediately noticed two issues

1/. Battery drain
2/. Poor Wifi signal

1/. My battery drain is currently unacceptable, I charge to 100% and unplug overnight so screen is off - I wake up 7hours or so later to find it has drained overnight to 75% or even less. I have power save mode on ALL the time, I have disabled all the non essential and probably some essential apps such google player etc. I have location, NFC, Bluetooth, Sync, Always allow wifi scanning, none of my apps are set to sync automatically etc switched off (having read all this good info on these forums). I installed GSAM and never saw any major issues although the screen would be showing close to 40% (I have black background and only on Amoled Photo display rather than the Adaptive display which is so much better!) I then read on a post today the GSAM Wifi profile had to be edited to 767 to show an accurate usage - I did that this morning and lo and behold I have a Phone Radio zapping 43% battery. Can someone please tell me how to switch that damn thing off or how it can be managed? I notice the battery issue is alot worse on wifi than using mobile data. I have attempted a cache reset post 5.1.1 update. Any other ideas on saving battery life would be very much appreciated.

2/. Wifi signal - I have a Virgin Media Superhub router on a 50meg connection. My S4 had no issues throughout the house picking up a very good signal and wifi speed was excellent. All other devices such as laptop and IPAD have no issues getting a good signal on both 2.4G and 5G On my S6 unless im in the same room as the router it is extremely poor and I'm guessing has also something to do with my battery draining so the two may go hand in hand? Again having read many posts on these forums I have changed my wifi settings DNS 1 & 2 to 8.8.4.4 - I haven't seen this make much of a difference though. I used the DNS SET app I read somewhere would also help but unfortunately the poor signal and slow speed continued.My battery drain is worse with Wifi so I try to use my data plan but im using that up very quickly and would love to use wifi! Does anyone know anything else I can have a go at?

I am loathed to try the factory reset option if there are other things I can attempt first to save me setting up the phone and my go launcher app etc. I have attached some GSAM screen shots more than happy to provide any other info. Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-03-08-55-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-03-08-55-50.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2015-09-03-12-02-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-03-12-02-02.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 67

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The usual reason for high Cell Standby/Phone Radio battery usage is poor cell signal. Go to Settings>Battery and tap the Battery graph so that it goes fullscreen. What does the Mobile Signal bar look like? If there's lots of red or yellow, that means your signal is generally poor, and the cell radio has to use more energy to boost it.

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi mate and thanks for the response. Ok so heres the graph (attached). I went to bed with 53% battery and switched off wifi, mobile data and everything else i can think of and i wake up with 22% battery hmm...if it is a signal issue which the graph would say it is, its going to be a call to o2 today - im guessing there isnt much can be done for that?..any ideas on the weak wifi signal btw?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8427.jpg
    8427.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 8428.jpg
    8428.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 8426.jpg
    8426.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 145

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a graph there showing the mobile signal strength. Some phones have it in different places, others don't have it at all. What happens if you tap the battery graph? Does it go to a fullscreen graph?

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Nothing happens on clicking the graph..i did find this in gsam though?

Re: greenify and doze thanks will give that a go. Do i need apecific settings in each?

Attachments

• 8429.jpg
    8429.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 138

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phone signal actually looks reasonably good. I assume the first few hours on that graph was Airplane Mode, correct?

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Nope, never used airplane mode on this phone..i could leave it plugged in overnight mate but the issue is the same through the day aswell battery just drains regardless

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
1. Wipe cache partition
2. Install Doze -- it will stop data drain when the screen is off. I only have 4 services on in Doze ; Google services, Google inbox, what's app and pushbullet.
3. Check Google location and location history is turned off
4. Turn off Google now
5. Change your WiFi settings to --keep WiFi on during sleep -- only when plugged in

dreaming of electric sheep

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Last nights drain 4am at 100% thought id unplug and see how it goes with doze on..woke up at 08.00 down at 77% thats screen off wifi off mobile data off doze activated (i think) bit ridiculous having these top end phones and not being able to use them for intended purpose..wipe partition has been done some weeks ago and wifi only when plugged in also set - getting v frustrating...

Attachments

• 8490.jpg
    8490.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 8491.jpg
    8491.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 8492.jpg
    8492.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 112

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why you are having issues with standby if you are using Doze. My phone didn't even go down using Doze while I was sleeping

Attachments

• 1441529779419.jpg
    1441529779419.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 31

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
It may be your mobile reception as that is at 85%. Tonight try airplane mode.

dreaming of electric sheep

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hmm i need my cellular connection through the night so airplane mode isnt in scope..i actually received a samsubg update today - looks like the 5.1.1 update. Ive carried out a cache reset so fingers crossed lets see if this does anything close to selling the phone now if this continues as approaching 6.30pm or 7pm phones dead as a dodo..

Attachments

• 8712.jpg
    8712.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 8711.jpg
    8711.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 103

Yaz_Android

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Just for completeness looks like the 5.1.1. Update and cache clean with doze running whilst sleep has sorted my battery drain :) its been 2 days and i still 50% battery left come evening time..thanks for your help folks

Steve Woodhouse

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
what carrier do you have? Ihave at&t and I was complaining about the quality of signal strength as well until someone showed me why go into settings and more networks mobile data and turn off enhanced 4g lte services then restart your phone see if that helps

A_egypt

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm new to these forums and having read through more posts than I remember I think I need some help - apologies in advance for the length of this post!

I bought a S6 approx 4 weeks ago, having had the S4 which served me well. I immediately noticed two issues

1/. Battery drain
2/. Poor Wifi signal

1/. My battery drain is currently unacceptable, I charge to 100% and unplug overnight so screen is off - I wake up 7hours or so later to find it has drained overnight to 75% or even less. I have power save mode on ALL the time, I have disabled all the non essential and probably some essential apps such google player etc. I have location, NFC, Bluetooth, Sync, Always allow wifi scanning, none of my apps are set to sync automatically etc switched off (having read all this good info on these forums). I installed GSAM and never saw any major issues although the screen would be showing close to 40% (I have black background and only on Amoled Photo display rather than the Adaptive display which is so much better!) I then read on a post today the GSAM Wifi profile had to be edited to 767 to show an accurate usage - I did that this morning and lo and behold I have a Phone Radio zapping 43% battery. Can someone please tell me how to switch that damn thing off or how it can be managed? I notice the battery issue is alot worse on wifi than using mobile data. I have attempted a cache reset post 5.1.1 update. Any other ideas on saving battery life would be very much appreciated.

2/. Wifi signal - I have a Virgin Media Superhub router on a 50meg connection. My S4 had no issues throughout the house picking up a very good signal and wifi speed was excellent. All other devices such as laptop and IPAD have no issues getting a good signal on both 2.4G and 5G On my S6 unless im in the same room as the router it is extremely poor and I'm guessing has also something to do with my battery draining so the two may go hand in hand? Again having read many posts on these forums I have changed my wifi settings DNS 1 & 2 to 8.8.4.4 - I haven't seen this make much of a difference though. I used the DNS SET app I read somewhere would also help but unfortunately the poor signal and slow speed continued.My battery drain is worse with Wifi so I try to use my data plan but im using that up very quickly and would love to use wifi! Does anyone know anything else I can have a go at?

I am loathed to try the factory reset option if there are other things I can attempt first to save me setting up the phone and my go launcher app etc. I have attached some GSAM screen shots more than happy to provide any other info. Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance.

peace on you all
i had the same problem with differnt phone and after trying to stop ,optimize,disable many apps ,widgets ,,,, i think the clear answer is
1.make the network search manual
and that one solved the problem

2.you may try to network fixed on 3g only
hope that would benefit you as it was very annoying (i had a good signal strength at one sim and closed the other which was weak and none till i found this solution)

Haier voyage v3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seth59