Phone restarts itself randomly

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
i have had the optimus for 2 weeks now and it keeps restarting itself randomly. i have had the same sd card issues and some charging issues which i have seen some others say the same thing (the charging not a huge issues but has happened). is it possible that the random restart is somehow linked to the SD card problems?

glassbowl

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
definatly yes in my opinion. i was having the same problems with my phone before i did all the rooting and stuff to it. I went and got a class 4 sd card and have since fixed the problem on my phone. I cant remember the post but there was one on here about the sd cards and it had a link in there for a fairly cheap class 4 card....i just got mine at best buy tho.

Reactions: ___TAKUMI___

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Never had any restart problems until abt 2 days when it did it (the one and only time so far) replaced the 8g sd card to the 16g card 5 months ago...so I'm not seeing that as the problem for me.....if it happens again I start looking for a cause tho.

kcmookie

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Let me give that a definitive YES. Mine would do either a hard restart, or simply shut itself off completely with the stock SD card--if I had to guess it is the system protecting itself. Got a new SD card and initially had a few 'soft' restarts (never fully shut off, just a quick 5-10 second reboot), not sure what that deal was--possibly a conflict with an app or something. Anyhow, glad I stuck it out. I love this phone and haven't had any problems in weeks (knock on wood).

Get a new SD Card immediately.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a bunch of freezing problems and a couple restarts/failed restarts that I made a post about a few days ago. I never had any indication from the phone that it was the SD card issue (my understanding is that people get a notification of some sort saying that the SD card is having a problem? Correct?) But that's not to say it wasn't SD card related for sure. I'm new to this phone. I uninstalled every app I'd downloaded and the next day had no freezes or restarts, but I did have an issue (twice) when I clicked on the Messaging icon, it would bring up my email and not my text messages. This happened twice. I rebooted the phone each time and the problem went away, but I decided that I'd had enough and I did a hard reset on the phone. I used it pretty extensively last night after the hard reset and didn't run in to any problems except for one time where it really lagged for about 30 seconds when I was loading a large webpage and also starting up Navigation at the same time.

Question: what is the charging issue that you refer to? I haven't read anything about that.

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys I am new to this forum and lovin the support. OK so i should be able to go to walmart (my town has no best buy) and pick up a micro class 4 sd card follow the instructions on the other post to hook up to a computer first. Great I can do that.
As far as the charging I plugged it in one night and it was dead in the am. I played around with it plugging and unplugging the charger and it wouldn't work so I plugged it into a computer to charge and that worked. So I just make sure its charged a little before I go to bed. It was weird though it was acting like it was charged but wasn't and the
software was saying OK it's charged I don't need the power source anymore.
I have a question about the hard reset, is that where u go in and restore the factory settings? Of so it says you'll lose you're info, did the sprint aps. Get wiped off to PR did they stay? (Like sprint zone and TV)

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not convince that the restart problem is somehow link to the SD card. Personally, I've never had a restart problem with my EVO yet.. However, I believe there is an unknown bug that is affecting some phones but not all.

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
OK so I ordered an SD cars through walmart.com class 4. Meanwhile these errors and restarting is diving me crazy so I just took the SS card out and we'll see if it continues to restart itself if it does I will take it back in....the question is do I stick with the optimus? I don't think the Samsung transform will be any better I like this little phone its a zippy lil thing but the software glitches r annoying. There's my venting for the day....tell me what u think.:rolleyes:p

heckufaguy

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
OK so I ordered an SD cars through walmart.com class 4. Meanwhile these errors and restarting is diving me crazy so I just took the SS card out and we'll see if it continues to restart itself if it does I will take it back in....the question is do I stick with the optimus? I don't think the Samsung transform will be any better I like this little phone its a zippy lil thing but the software glitches r annoying. There's my venting for the day....tell me what u think.:rolleyes:p

My wife and I both have the Optimus with none of these issues.
But, we both came from blackberries, and moved our SD cards from those phones to the LG before even loading a single app. So that may be where our luck changed a bit.

kcmookie

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Kristi let us know if taking the card out fixed your issue. I remember feeling the way you do which is why I keep posting on here how replacing my SD card solved my problem. I am currently streaming local radio thru mine and haven't had an issue with my Optimus since replacing the card.

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
ya know what. i decided that maybe i should call sprint and see what they had to say about it at my local store. they said yea sure come on in and we'll take a look at it. they gave me a different SD card still only a 2gb but guess what no unmount problems and no restart/reboot problems so far. the night before i got the different card it restarted about 5 times in a couple hours, so a definate improvement already. i still have the other SD card on order and will see what that brings. but in changing it once already i definately think the unmount and restart are somehow liked. so if anyone else has this problem and wants it fixed now for free take it to your sprint store and see what they say. oh and i did not to a hard restart cuz i wanted to see what simply changing the SD card would do and i am once again loving this phone.:D

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not convince that the restart problem is somehow link to the SD card. Personally, I've never had a restart problem with my EVO yet.. However, I believe there is an unknown bug that is affecting some phones but not all.

Bad drives can do that to any computer, even if they're not the system drive (and the phone is a computer). I had a drive at one point that I was trying to recover and it would cause the system to crash no matter what OS it was in, just due to it being basically dead.

As for the SD card issue, if it's not the SD card then there's an awful lot of these "random bugs that only affect some people" that only affect them while they have the stock SD card...

Reactions: ___TAKUMI___

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
well the 2gb card that sprint gave me (was a blackberry card) worked fine, then i got the 4gb in the mail and i formatted it on the cpu just like the forum says. and i am very happy to report that i have to problems.
thanks to everyone for all of your help. i was very frustrated and disappointed and now im loving my phone again!

___TAKUMI___

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a bunch of freezing problems and a couple restarts/failed restarts that I made a post about a few days ago. I never had any indication from the phone that it was the SD card issue (my understanding is that people get a notification of some sort saying that the SD card is having a problem? Correct?) But that's not to say it wasn't SD card related for sure. I'm new to this phone. I uninstalled every app I'd downloaded and the next day had no freezes or restarts, but I did have an issue (twice) when I clicked on the Messaging icon, it would bring up my email and not my text messages. This happened twice. I rebooted the phone each time and the problem went away, but I decided that I'd had enough and I did a hard reset on the phone. I used it pretty extensively last night after the hard reset and didn't run in to any problems except for one time where it really lagged for about 30 seconds when I was loading a large webpage and also starting up Navigation at the same time.

Question: what is the charging issue that you refer to? I haven't read anything about that.

Im going through the same thing but I did the hard restart 2x yes 2X now I'm reeeeaaally happy bout it! So, Im about to roooty toot toot this mofro!

___TAKUMI___

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes SIR!DEAD ON!

Bad drives can do that to any computer, even if they're not the system drive (and the phone is a computer). I had a drive at one point that I was trying to recover and it would cause the system to crash no matter what OS it was in, just due to it being basically dead.

As for the SD card issue, if it's not the SD card then there's an awful lot of these "random bugs that only affect some people" that only affect them while they have the stock SD card...

Someone know what there talking about!!!! DING DING DING I think we have a winner! This all started for me when I noticed that my apps started opening a little slower. Then they started force closing... Now I have had 4 to 5 random reboots tonight (last 4 to 5 hrs) Why would this happen why will I have random programs force closing because they are having problems communicating with program files... I mean if I want a pizza but I cant get a dial tone guess what NO pizza!lol!!! I did the formatting yep worked for about 12hrs so I did the factory restart aka hard restart that work for a day did different combos of junk! Well anyways found a cure all pill for the Ole' Optimus called Root and new sdcard no worries.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...t-recovery-rom-without-touching-computer.html

There is a another thread about this but it is a little more technique and if you can handle the more technique version peps you most likely can find it so no need to post it here.

So for the windows user yep you just opened "my computer" and now the hour glass is searching for the drive and you cant get out so hit the restart button....