Phone Waking Up, Lighting Up, and Beeping on Charger at Night

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've just fixed last Summer's issues of the phone not working with my Auto and the phone turning itself on when it receives a text message. 3 Updates later I'm now having an issue with the phone waking me up at night.

Samsung Galaxy S7, Verizon, Android V7.0.

Sometimes two or three times in a row the phone will beep, turn on, light up the room, and wake me up. Its on the Samsung Wireless Charger. It didn't start doing this until after last September. Acts as though the phone was picked up taken off the charger and put back on. Same noises.

Last night with the phone off the charger I got a full nights rest. No disturbance and the room was much much darker. However the phone did not have a full charge to start the day.

Sunday I placed the phone on the charger during the football game. After a few hours it woke up with a message "Notification Disabled". After unlocking it the message is gone. Very useful notification. No idea what application or software causes it. An OS that gives me a notification without telling me where it comes from isn't a great OS. Nor is an application that delivers a notice but doesn't tell the user what application it is. Nor is an OS that doesn't let me see what notifications were just delivered prior to unlocking it. This Galaxy S7 phone is over priced. Verizon, Samsung, and Android aren't working well together.

Note I have most applications blocked to deliver notifications and the screen still wakes up at night. I schedule Do Not Disturb from 11 PM to 7 AM every day. Only contacts are allowed to phone or message. No Event/tasks. No Reminders. Only the Clock application is enabled. The Clock app has no alarms turned on.

The WWW shows that these issues were found on other phones as early as 2015. I'm glad my phone was updated. Verizon tells me that the updates were necessary security fixes and enhancements. Waking me up at night is not an enhancement. Three updates in Three Months is three too many. Introducing two year old bugs is a great way to update a phone. A phone that wakes the user up during the night for no reason is junk. The only fix I've found is not to charge it up. That would fix this issue however I do use it and I'm paying through the nose for it. Yes I'm paying for a phone that wakes me up at night for no reason. Argh.

As usual any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I posted in the wrong place thanks for moving this.

This AM I had two messages on my lock screen.
#1 "Android System info Battery fully charged."
#2 "Android System [down carrot] Contents hidden"

Both messages are gone when I unlock the phone. The phone woke me up once last night. All I could make out before the phone screen turned off was "System something". Do Not Disturb was on. I really would like my phone to go back to its initial great state of not waking me up at night. Especially since I expect the battery to be fully charged as that is why I charge it up at night. And a message of "Contents hidden" is extremely useful to me. So much so that it should wake up everyone at Verizon, Samsung, and Android too. Unless of course its coming from some other dumb app.

I would turn the phone off and place it in the basement or lock it in a safe every night but if there were an emergency I would need it right away. I'ld turn the volume down too but my parents and in-laws are getting up there and I'ld hate for them to call for help and not be able to hear the phone ring. These would be the only messages I really want to be woken up for.

Messages that wake you up and then disappear are really useful to me. If messages are so important that they must turn the phone on then one would think that you would not want them to disappear until they were dismissed or acted upon. If you are a programmer, and you feel you need these annoyances, then contact me and I'll program you an Arduino that gives you a useless, totally non-descriptive, temporary and meaningless message at random times throughout the night.

I'm still hoping the rest of you might be able to give me some help, and let me get back to sleep.

Thanks

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Puzzling situation. I can suggest one thing to try to figure out what served up that notification in the middle of the night -- check the Notification Log: https://www.howtogeek.com/242073/how-to-view-notifications-youve-dismissed-on-android/

Thank you; I loaded the Notification Saver App as I have a Samsung S7. Last night's notifications are added below. My phone held a party all night long. I've changed Notifications on com.android.systemui to Hidden on lock screen. Then left Notifications on Android System 7.0 at Sensitive content hidden on lock screen. Hopefully that will stop the phone from waking us up.

My wife told me the phone had to get out of the bedroom this morning. I'm hoping we may fix it first. Then I can hardly wait for the next update to break it again and waste more of our time.

Here are the extremely annoying, mundane, uncritical, dumb, messages my phone woke us up for:
Code:
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:44:01 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	"Charging: 98%
(Approximately 5 min until fully charged)"
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:43:43 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 97%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:43:38 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 97%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:43:30 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 97%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:30:37 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 97%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 6:22:07 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 98%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 5:58:55 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 98%
Android System	android	Dec 20, 2017 5:58:54 AM	auto cancel	Connected to "camelot" (Secure)	Tap to configure Wi-Fi.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:41:54 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:41:44 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 100%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:41:33 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:41:02 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:38:21 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:35:34 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:34:28 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:34:20 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:34:10 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:33:35 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:33:08 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:32:51 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 4:32:43 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 3:50:55 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 100%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 3:50:49 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 2:46:15 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:51:56 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:49:08 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:48:59 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Fast wireless charging	Charging: 100%
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:48:49 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:44:49 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:44:37 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:29:00 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:14:46 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:14:38 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 1:00:38 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 12:31:58 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 20, 2017 12:19:03 AM	ongoing, only alert once	Info	Battery fully charged.
System UI	com.android.systemui	Dec 19, 2017 11:00:00 PM	ongoing	Do not disturb on

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
See if this happens in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008. As long as you don't need a 3rd party app doing anything overnight, boot into Safe Mode right before going to sleep. If the problem goes away, then something you installed is somehow triggering this activity.

If it doesn't go away, try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028.

You could also try using Verizon's Software Repair Assistant, in case something went screwy during one of those system updates. I'm not sure if this acts like a factory reset, but I think it preserves your data.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why yesterday's post did not show up. Turning off notifications for com.android.systemui and using Do Not Disturb resulted in no beeping or lighting up all night. However the phone did not charge either. Notification Saver App showed notifications posted stating that the wireless charger was seen over and over and over again but the battery percentage slowly decreased over the night.

Turning notification back on for com.android.systemui and placing the phone on the wireless charger let it charge during the day.

Last night we put the phone in Safe Mode. We received a notification "System UI", "Safe Mode is On", nad "Android System [down carrot] Contents hidden" with the phone lighting up the room at which point I took the phone off the charger and placed it face down on the night table. This morning my battery was at 91% so I assume the last notification woke me up when the battery was fully charged. I can't see the notification as Safe Mode turns off the Notification Saver App.

Argh. On to your last two links.

I don't know what other people are doing but this is way too much effort for a Smart Phone. All because of mandatory updates. Did I mention that Updates are evil? All that means to me is that the manufacturer and programmers sold something that wasn't 100% when it was made and they use these as a crutch. Or they use updates to push features that they want in order to charge us more money or make our hardware obsolete or slow us down like Apple just did.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Following T-Mobile's instructions for wiping the cache partition results in no option on Verizon. I can do a factory reset but I can't wipe the cache.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the phone's behavior was intended -- the fact that charging seems to be affected as well makes me think more that something in the firmware is corrupt. I'm not sure if the Software Repair Assistant wipes the phone, or if it leaves your personal data untouched, but it's probably the next best step.

I'm puzzled as to why wiping the cache is not available in the Recovery Menu -- are you getting to the screen that looks like this?

Screenshot-600x340.png

It might be that when the S7 was updated to Nougat, it started taking advantage of the seamless update feature, which creates a duplicate system partition and gets rid of the cache partition wipe option.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried to recreate what I did in order to post the screen I saw which did not include wipe cache partition. However now I got "Installing System Update" which failed with "No Command" then a recovery screen with the following options:

reboot now
reboot to bootloader
apply update from ADB
apply update from SD card
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
mount/system
view recovery logs
Run graphics test
power off

I wiped the cache partition and rebooted and will try wireless charging again.

I too am suspicious it has to do with "Wireless Charging" as USB charging overnight did not wake us up. Only on the wireless charger do I keep getting either
TITTLE: "Info", TEXT: "Battery fully charged.", APP: "System UI", PACKAGE: "com.android.systemui", TIME: ..., FLAGS: "ongoing, only alert once".
or TITLE: "Fast wireless charging", TEXT: "Charging: XX%", APP: "System UI", PACKAGE: "com.android.systemui", TIME: ..., FLAGS: "ongoing, only alert once"

Also note that over the past week I did have times where I place the phone on the charger and get the "Fast wireless charging" message over and over again. It would not shut up. I tried repositioning the phone and it would keep doing this so then I just plugged in the usb cord directly into the phone and got a good nights sleep. I currently have the phone on the charger and wireless charging is working normally. Will see if wiping the cache makes the "Battery fully charged" message go away or post only once.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
After wiping cache partition and rebooting; Placed on wireless charger and got "Fast wireless charging" at 12:50 pm. Phone woke up at 12:57 PM with Info "Battery fully charged.", The phone woke up with same message at 12:58, 12:58, 12:59, 12:59, 1:00 PM, 1:00 PM, ...
I also saw a message Wireless charging paused but that message is not in the Message Saver log.

I need to back stuff off then go to Verizon and let them "fix" this. They need to know we have a problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very odd and frustrating.:-\ Did you ever try Verizon's Software Repair Assistant? You had previously mentioned that it seemed like too much to have to do, but the reality is that sometimes firmware can get corrupted (or updates can install incorrectly). So it's worth a try (but I'm not sure if it resets the phone).

TNRonin

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
I thought this issue was fixed but I guess not. I put an antenna in my s3 back in the day for the wireless charging. I kept getting exactly what you are getting. I figured tha that I was seeing was the battery charging, loosing power, recharging, loosing power recharging on and on. I went back to plug in charging and never saw the issue. I have a metal badge in my case for the magnetic car mount and can't use the wireless feature. I'm glad I didn't purchase a charger for my s7 now if the issue is not fixed.

Go back to plug in charging.