Phones breaking in trouser pocket

halfbeing

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Recently my Galaxy S4 which I had had for over two years broke while I was carrying it in the front pocket of my jeans. It had a number of approximately parallel cracks across the screen, which was now mostly black, rendering the phone useless. I suspect the breakage happened when I bent down to tie up my shoelace. I had always previously carried the phone in my front trouser pocket, but perhaps having, a few weeks before, started using trousers that were a bit tighter fitting (although not so tight that I couldn't relatively easily get my hand in the pocket) made the difference.

The trouble is that I don't have a better place to carry a phone than my trouser pocket, so I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand the structural limits of my phone so that I can prevent this happening again. My replacement phone will be an LG G5. Is this model more resistant to bending than the older Galaxy S4? Does a glass screen protector add rigidity? Do shock-absorbing cases make a difference? (The case on my old phone was starting to disintegrate when it broke.)

I know that I should also think about alternative clothing, but the only way I can get affordable clothes in my size is by buying online, and the sizes are a bit of a crap shoot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is going to be a difference in bending resistance. The only thing I can think of is to find an alternative to storing the phone. A shirt pocket, or a holster phone case, perhaps?

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Recently my Galaxy S4 which I had had for over two years broke while I was carrying it in the front pocket of my jeans. It had a number of approximately parallel cracks across the screen, which was now mostly black, rendering the phone useless. I suspect the breakage happened when I bent down to tie up my shoelace. I had always previously carried the phone in my front trouser pocket, but perhaps having, a few weeks before, started using trousers that were a bit tighter fitting (although not so tight that I couldn't relatively easily get my hand in the pocket) made the difference.

The trouble is that I don't have a better place to carry a phone than my trouser pocket, so I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand the structural limits of my phone so that I can prevent this happening again. My replacement phone will be an LG G5. Is this model more resistant to bending than the older Galaxy S4? Does a glass screen protector add rigidity? Do shock-absorbing cases make a difference? (The case on my old phone was starting to disintegrate when it broke.)

I know that I should also think about alternative clothing, but the only way I can get affordable clothes in my size is by buying online, and the sizes are a bit of a crap shoot.
I always use my right rear pocket on snug jeans and remove my phone before I sit. When I'm sitting, I simply want immediate access to it anyways. When I'm standing the back pocket DOES provide immediate access.

Caveat: I occasionally get in my car and forget to remove the phone as part of my car ingress process, but the physical sensation of the phone in pocket always reminds me before I even start the car. The shorter the phone, the less of an issue to sit on it (theoretically). I use an S7edge and it's still not an issue to sit on it in my car for less than a minute.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

halfbeing

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I still don't really have an alternative to my front trouser pocket. I used to have a belt pouch a long time ago and I didn't find it very convenient. I prefer having my phone permanently in a shock-proof case, which isn't possible with a belt pouch. However I have found a few bits and pieces on the web suggesting that the S4 is prone to bending because of its plastic construction, whereas the G5 is made of metal and therefore more rigid (except for the battery cover at the end where the plug-in modules go, which is a bit vulnerable). It is grounds to be optimistic, although I would be grateful for further thoughts in the matter if anyone has anything to add.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I always cringe when I see someone shoving a phone into a back trouser pocket - I know that I'm looking at a phone that's going to get sat on some day.

My phones have been in belt holsters since around the start of the century. (The old Motorola StarTAC had a holster available, and it wasn't the first phone that did.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796