PHOTON #2 Now Failing

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The only issue i was having was that every once in a while I was unable to make a call. So i had to restart phone so i can make and receive calls. I uninstalled Google Voice andI have not had the problem since. I every once in a while cant type in my text box and the botton case of the phone feels loose might go bring it back thursday picked this phone up last monday so still in my 30 days.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I installed GV day before yesterday and experienced 2 silent calls that I received. Wife called and it was silent. I called her back and no problems. This happened twice. Uninstalled GV right after that happened and it has not happened again. So I think your right bcbbanga4l about GV.

UGA-Rick

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced I must have some app that is messing things up. The phone occasionally becomes unresponsive. I can't type in a text box, can't tap to start various apps, can't hit the green button to dial. The bummer is that I think I'm this phone's biggest fan... when it works. Still on my first. Haven't swapped it out yet, because it takes too damned long to get everything the way I like it.
I had some issues with slow response after using the browser or perusing my my contacts. (I have lots and lots of contacts.) After doing the tweaks in the battery life management http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-photon/99346-photon-battery-life.html and deleting / stopping a couple of the apps I will never use, I have not had any more issues. Plus I get about 10 hours of pretty heavy usage.

photostyle

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So, with my 2nd photon shutting down like mad today (8 times) I realized a unique condition exists. It's always happening in the building where I work. Without a repeater, there's no signal, so my phone wasn't able to get a signal all day due to our repeater being offline (and working poorly for the last few weeks. Looking at my logs, every time I recorded a shutdown, I was in the same place. I moved the phone to my car for the last hour of the day, and it was still working when I left work, and is still working now.

So the theory is, if the phone has trouble getting cell signal, something is going stupid in the software/hardware, and the phone hangs.

Can anyone else verify this?

I've still got the 1st photon (waiting for a return kit) so I'm going to bring them both to work tomorrow and leave one in the car for half the day, then switch them.

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I installed GV day before yesterday and experienced 2 silent calls that I received. Wife called and it was silent. I called her back and no problems. This happened twice. Uninstalled GV right after that happened and it has not happened again. So I think your right bcbbanga4l about GV.

Though I used GV, this would be an unacceptable solution for me. I love Google Voice instead of the regular voicemail.

Hope they fix the problems soon.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Good lord some of you Photon owners need to stop bashing other phones. The Photon has plenty of problems too. Enough of the "I owned both phones and the EVO 3D sucked cause it would never get a signal". It's stupid and it's fanboyish. Be happy with your purchase, but good god, enough of the trying to justify your purchase by bashing other phones. They're all good phones and just because you choose one doesn't mean the other one sucks.

photostyle

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 3rd photon for over a week now. This one also had the shutdown problem in my office at work and other areas. I deliberately held off on the update to see if it would make a difference. After the update, I haven't had any more silent calls, but I'm still getting random shutdowns. We even have a new repeater in the office, so I've had good voice and data signal at my desk for 2 days, but it's still having random shutdowns. I have no idea why. But if I turn on airplane mode, It's fine.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Who wants a phone that has to stay in airplane mode?

I got one on launch day. Replaced it after a couple of weeks due to the "silent call" problem. I had one mysterious shutdown a few hours before I replaced it -- I figure the phone knew I was out to get it.

New one had the same "silent call" problem until I downloaded the update, which seems to have completely fixed it. Never had a shutdown since getting this one. My only hardware complaint is that the kickstand is too sensitive, and kept turning the display sideways until I went into "options" and turned off the kickstand completely.

tldr: Sounds like you have a hardware problem which was not addressed by the update. Replace the phone again and see if that fixes it. Good luck.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! My phone has been almost perfect since the update. The only problems I had were due to trying to increase the earpiece volume by turning on the hearing aid option which caused many random shutdowns. After turning off that feature, all problems seem to have disappeared!

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
anyone having charging issues?
Seems if my photon drops below 20-30% the thing doesn't always want to charge back up and gets extremely warm, i have to restart the phone and/or pull the battery but that doesn't always work either.
Not using any battery widget or apps.
I have this same issue. For me it is related to the sleep of death issue. There's a sequence of steps that will.just kill the battery. If you take such a battery to sprint and ask them to test it they should replace it of the battery fails.