Picked up VZW's Version of the G4

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I hatched a devious plan last night. I sold my iPhone on Swappa and while I was there, I picked up the Leather G4. I wanted the leather G4 instead of the white, but of course VZW didn't have any in the store. So, when my new to me G4 arrives, I'm going to take the one I bought from VZW back. Since I was able to purchase the one off Swappa well below $500, I'm saving more than the $35 charge to return it. I really really hope the same guy is working that day!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Ensure your plan doesn't change. Since they activated a new SIM I have heard of peoples plans being changed afterwards.

Oh yeah....when I was on them,and they did that with me,it took a lawyer to correct it and told them goodbye for good. If they were the only choice for services I wouldn't have any.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
People ask me why I go with unlocked devices.

This is one of the bazillion reasons why...

Unfortunately those are more difficult to find on Verizon. I had an unlocked version of the G4 from LG, but it wouldn't work on VZW, os I gave it to my brother-in-law to use on AT&T. WOrks fine there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People ask me why I go with unlocked devices.

This is one of the bazillion reasons why...

Yeah Verizon users don't have that freedom like GSM though so it makes it a tad harder. The odd part is though majority of their new LTE phones come factory unlocked so if they ever wanted to come to GSM they could :).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately those are more difficult to find on Verizon. I had an unlocked version of the G4 from LG, but it wouldn't work on VZW, os I gave it to my brother-in-law to use on AT&T. WOrks fine there.

They work on different bands, apparently.

I always use GSM networks, so there isn't an issue for me.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
How the heck do you get that high !?!?

Easily. We have 1Mps download and .1Mbps upload speeds at home, so just barely better than dialup. So, my phone is my home Internet. Last month our niece and nephew stayed with us, so lots of streaming, downloads, gaming, etc. That put my phone about 164GB for the month. I average around 75GB per month. And that's just on my phone. WIfey's unlimited and uses her phone when I"m not home, so she averages 3--40GB per month.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So just an update. I picked up a Black Leather back G4 off of Swappa and returned the VZW G4. Even with the $35 restock fee, I still came out on top and I do so love the Leather back. As for purchasing in-store at VZW, I'll never do that again.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Easily. We have 1Mps download and .1Mbps upload speeds at home, so just barely better than dialup. So, my phone is my home Internet. Last month our niece and nephew stayed with us, so lots of streaming, downloads, gaming, etc. That put my phone about 164GB for the month. I average around 75GB per month. And that's just on my phone. WIfey's unlimited and uses her phone when I"m not home, so she averages 3--40GB per month.

How is your home Internet so slow?

And I thought we overpaid for a 5Mbps download speed.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Verizon users don't have that freedom like GSM though so it makes it a tad harder. The odd part is though majority of their new LTE phones come factory unlocked so if they ever wanted to come to GSM they could :).

What freedom do you speak of... Just switching sims? You can do that on LTE phones

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What freedom do you speak of... Just switching sims? You can do that on LTE phones

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes you can switch SIMs now due to an agreement Verizon made for spectrum -- But if you go into Verizon with an "unapproved" phone to activate a new SIM they won't do it for you.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

ouch. No good options for home internet?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
How is your home Internet so slow?

And I thought we overpaid for a 5Mbps download speed.

I live out in the country. DSL sucks, but it's all we have available if we want unlimited. We can go with satellite, but the ping time will kill my gaming, and they limit the monthly usage.

ruascott

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, I hated to switch back to Android, basically because I hate the built-in carrier lag, but I had no other option. The iOS hotspot just doesn't work with anything not iOS related. Since that's half my equipment at home, I had no choice but to switch back to Android. I picked up a White G4 last night. My Brother-in-Law has my International Version because he has AT&T. I liked it a lot more than I do the VZW version, but I can't give up my unlimited data to switch to any other carrier. (I use 50+GB per month. Actually last month I used over 100GB.)

So, back to Android full-time. No more daily drive with the iPhone.

I do so hate going to the VZW store. I should have ordered online, but I can't take off this week to be home to sign for the delivery. Here's how my evening went at the wonderful VZW store last night.

VZW - Can I help you?
Me - Yup. I'm here to buy a White G4. I called earlier and you have one in stock.
VZW - Are you upgrading, adding a line, or a new customer.
Me - Nope. None of the above. Just want to buy the phone outright.
VZW - What's your number? (I give him my number) So you want to upgrade that line.
Me - No. No I don't want to upgrade that line. In fact, I don't even want to switch out SIM cards. I have a nano SIM with a micro adaptor that works just fine. Just sell me the phone and I'll plug in my SIM and be on my way.
VZW - Sir, we can't do that. You have to add it to a line.
Me - I do it all the time. In fact, I just swapped out the sim last night to go to work today, so, yes you can.
VZW - No sir. We can't sell you a phone without activating the SIM.
Me - I have ordered several phones from the website and when they arrive, just plugged in my current sim and away I go. So, yes, you can sell me a phone without activating the SIM.
VZW - No sir. That's online only.

At this point I get frustrated and walk out to order it online. Halfway to my car, I decided to go back and talk to a manager because I can't be home to sign for it.

Manager comes up and asked if he can help.

Me - Yes. I have $600 and I want to buy a phone. You have the phone I want to buy, so what's it going to take to sell it to me.

We go back and forth with basically the same thing said between us above. At this point, I'm actually trying to figure out how to do this and they really don't seem to want to sell me a dang phone.

Finally I say, "OK. Activate the phone with the 'installed' SIM."

They do. After the 10-20 minutes of paying and waiting for it to be activated its finally finished. All the while I'm thinking I really want the nano SIM. If nothing else, just to show them that you can have both.

So after it's done and activated and working, I say, "I have one more thing I need. Please activate the iPhone I have in my hand here on that line."
The clerk looks at me and says, "But you just bought this G4."
I say, "Yup. And the G4's now mine, but I want this iPhone to replace the G4. Thanks."
Needless to say, I walked out with the nano SIM. It's sad that I had to come up with a solution for a $600 purchase to happen.

Can you or someone explain....I just ordered online a g4, paid full price, kept my plan as is. Should I not use the New SIM that is shipped with the phone?

I'm a little confused, because I had to select my current phone as the line being ' upgraded'. Otherwise would be adding a line. Also, when it came to the screen showing my Nationwide 450 plan with unlimited email/web, the amount due monthly dropped the 29.99 data charge. (So it says monthly charge will be $29.99 less than I have been paying for years. )

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is absolute garbage with the exception of their network. If I didn't have such a strong network around here for my business needs I'd s#!tcan them in a second. Worst company ever next to Comcast...and there's no pressure for them to change.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you or someone explain....I just ordered online a g4, paid full price, kept my plan as is. Should I not use the New SIM that is shipped with the phone?

I'm a little confused, because I had to select my current phone as the line being ' upgraded'. Otherwise would be adding a line. Also, when it came to the screen showing my Nationwide 450 plan with unlimited email/web, the amount due monthly dropped the 29.99 data charge. (So it says monthly charge will be $29.99 less than I have been paying for years. )

You're data charge is $29.99 per month for unlimited. If you had the hotspot, it'd be another 29.99 for hotspot.
You should not have been paying $49.98 per month if you didn't have the hotspot.
If you selected your line as the "upgrade" at full price line, then you should just turn it on when it arrives and it should be ready to go after the initial setup. In other words, no need to switch out the SIM card.