Pixel XL chargers OK for 4a?

ddunk1946

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The specs appear to be the same, although I can't be sure. The XL charger is 18W, 3A.
The point being, I have finally retired my original XL 128 in favor of a couple of 4a's. Believe it or not, my XL's original battery (ordered in Nov. 2016, delivered Feb. 2017) is still going strong, takes and holds a charge for a day and a half +/-. I am through paying 8-900 dollars for a phone.
I credit that with the use of factory chargers always. I bought several genuine Google/Pixel chargers at the time so I'd always have one nearby, one for the wife's, etc. So, with the 4a charger APPEARING to have the same specs (I can't find the amperage), I'm wondering if I can continue to use the XL's chargers when away from home base. If I didn't have to buy several more $35 chargers, that would be great. :)
Very happy with the 4a so far. I ordered them the morning of the 3rd from Amazon and they were on my doorstep the morning of the 20th, the release date.
Ok,I'm finished rambling and thanks for your help!
Be well,
DD

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Chargers are interchangeable. If it's a smart charger, if the phone doesn't ask for anything it gets the old 5 Volt charge. If it asks, the phone and charger negotiate for the maximum charge the phone can handle and the charger can supply. If the charger can't supply enough, it takes longer to charge, that's all.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I replaced my XL with this 4a because the battery was not holding charge beyond 12/15 hours and that was stretching it. Always used the Amazon charger. I figure the difference is (was) leaving in on charge overnight, I thought it was a smart charger.
I noticed that away from our home router the WiFi radio kept searching, the GPS was eating charge, and Bluetooth was an obvious drain. I don't recall setting a special priority for any of those but gave up early on the auto screen brightness. That was hopeless.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@Chuckcell:

1. The phone has the charger in it - the thing you plug into the wall is just a power source (that can switch voltage on command from the phone). I've had phones sitting on a 30 Amp supply I have for days - and nothing happened to the battery. I seriously doubt that leaving yours on the charger overnight caused a problem.

2. GPS only draws current when an app asks it for your location. (I recently installed a Nest thermostat and, to keep it at the "when I'm home" temperature, I have to keep GPS running. I haven't noticed any difference in battery use.)

3. You have to turn WiFi searching off. (When you go to the WiFi settings page, it will still be searching - why else are you going to the page [Google makes unwarranted assumptions like that all the time].)

4. Bluetooth is a constant drain, but it's a very low level drain.

and

5. It's cheaper to have the battery replaced than to buy a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174