Pixel XL signal strength

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
-97 is better than -110 (note that these numbers are negative. a larger number, in this case -97, is better). Your mileage may vary, but between -95 and -100 is about where calls tend to start dropping for me; over -105, I can almost guarantee my call will drop. I'm lucky to be able to make a call at -102 dBm or worse.

I have had to pay attention to this in the past. I live in a fairly remote area, and I've had to return phones for weak antennas. But they didn't have the great apps 15 years ago to measure this when it was initially a problem for me. I literally had to take 2 phones and drive to the normal places I go and see where I could make a call, and where I couldn't.

There are actually 2 factors at play here - the actual signal strength available based on the nearest tower and your proximity to it, and your phones ability to "grab it" for lack of a better term. That's why people in the city (who are typically closer to multiple towers) don't tend to have the problems us country folks do... :)

Anyway, that's just been my experience. I'd be interested in what more people have to say?

That seems strange to me, my Note 5 consistently sits between -100 and -105 at my house and never once dropped a call. I hope this doesn't mean that the Pixel XL will.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I don't go by numbers usually. What I know is, the 4g at my place fades sometimes because of weatner, or the trees on this three house property are overgrown or the moon is void of course (no idea what that means but I had a boss once who used it to explain every unexplainable glitch). But the wi-fi is often worse. My Note 7 would sometimes refuse to get on the Verizon network at all, but never had a problem getting a pretty good signal on the wi-fi. The Pixel Xl so far is better at getting on 4g, but the wi-fi keeps coming up saying, check your connection and try again. I am ok with 4g being iffy but the wi-fi is why I can afford the 4g if you see what I mean. I cannot afford a lot of data, or data that gets spent trying to connect and reconnect. I am really unhappy about the wi-fi.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For what it's worth, here's a response I got from vWick3d in August when I asked about the numbers in the s4gru piece:

Assuming all of those figures are accurate it appears the new nexus phones have slightly less maximum uplink power than the current nexus phones. It shouldn't be an issue because the new nexus numbers are very similar to the HTC10 which doesn't have any significant signal strength issues (that I have read about).

This is most likely just the fact that different manufacturers use different suppliers for their LTE chips. Whether for cost or for preference I'm not entirely sure.

Either way the only way this type of thing would affect you is if you live an extreme distance from any cell towers, since of course you need to use more power to connect at a greater distance.

So, yeah, the Pixels might be underpowered for "remote areas." Unfortunately, you're not going to know for sure until someone uses one in your remote area.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I don't go by numbers usually. What I know is, the 4g at my place fades sometimes because of weatner, or the trees on this three house property are overgrown or the moon is void of course (no idea what that means but I had a boss once who used it to explain every unexplainable glitch). But the wi-fi can be iffy too, yet my Note 7 would sometimes refuse to get on the Verizon network at all, but never had a problem getting a pretty good signal on the wi-fi. The Pixel Xl so far is better at getting on 4g, but the wi-fi keeps coming up saying, check your connection and try again. I am ok with 4g being iffy but the wi-fi is why I can afford the 4g if you see what I mean. I cannot afford a lot of data, or data that gets spent trying to connect and reconnect. I am really unhappy about the wi-fi.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't go by numbers usually. What I know is, the 4g at my place fades sometimes because of weatner, or the trees on this three house property are overgrown or the moon is void of course (no idea what that means but I had a boss once who used it to explain every unexplainable glitch). But the wi-fi is often worse. My Note 7 would sometimes refuse to get on the Verizon network at all, but never had a problem getting a pretty good signal on the wi-fi. The Pixel Xl so far is better at getting on 4g, but the wi-fi keeps coming up saying, check your connection and try again. I am ok with 4g being iffy but the wi-fi is why I can afford the 4g if you see what I mean. I cannot afford a lot of data, or data that gets spent trying to connect and reconnect. I am really unhappy about the wi-fi.

Don't have a Pixel yet, but I've heard there is already an OTA out to improve WIFI connectivity. Have you recieved it?

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am coming from a LG G3. . T Mobile network.

When I set the two phones side by side, the G3 shows a stronger signal, both cell and WiFi.

Even standing next to the router, the pixel does not show all bars on WiFi.

That being said, I was out and about today and drove through 3 places where my G3 would always drop calls and lose all data connection.

I made a call as I was going through each location. The pixel never dropped a call, and even showed HD calling the whole time. I stopped at one spot and jumped online as I was on a call.

No issues what so ever.

So, it could be that the pixel graph is just calibrated differently than my G3. But it is a night and day difference in phone quality.

Also, while I was at the T-mo store last night. The T-mo guy changed my APN settings. On their web site is a page to fine tune for pixel.

So not sure it it was the apn tweak or its just better.. But either way, signal strength rocks

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am coming from a LG G3. . T Mobile network.

When I set the two phones side by side, the G3 shows a stronger signal, both cell and WiFi.

Even standing next to the router, the pixel does not show all bars on WiFi.

That being said, I was out and about today and drove through 3 places where my G3 would always drop calls and lose all data connection.

I made a call as I was going through each location. The pixel never dropped a call, and even showed HD calling the whole time. I stopped at one spot and jumped online as I was on a call.

No issues what so ever.

So, it could be that the pixel graph is just calibrated differently than my G3. But it is a night and day difference in phone quality.

Also, while I was at the T-mo store last night. The T-mo guy changed my APN settings. On their web site is a page to fine tune for pixel.

So not sure it it was the apn tweak or its just better.. But either way, signal strength rocks

This is encouraging!

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That seems strange to me, my Note 5 consistently sits between -100 and -105 at my house and never once dropped a call. I hope this doesn't mean that the Pixel XL will.

The difference may be that when I'm on the phone, I tend to move throughout my house, maybe it's dropping more when I do that... I take my measurements sitting in one spot, with the phone away from my face. I have read that you can lose some signal strength when you put it up to your head.

I don't know either, but reading this post is making me VERY nervous... just about nervous enough to make me cancel my order for the Pixel XL and go with the S7 Edge. The only reason I didn't do that to begin with is the 32GB limitation... (I'm replacing my GN7) <arghh...>

I do have 14 days with Verizon to return though... probably just try it and see.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The difference may be that when I'm on the phone, I tend to move throughout my house, maybe it's dropping more when I do that... I take my measurements sitting in one spot, with the phone away from my face. I have read that you can lose some signal strength when you put it up to your head.

I don't know either, but reading this post is making me VERY nervous... just about nervous enough to make me cancel my order for the Pixel XL and go with the S7 Edge. The only reason I didn't do that to begin with is the 32GB limitation... (I'm replacing my GN7) <arghh...>

I do have 14 days with Verizon to return though... probably just try it and see.

I wouldn't get nervous yet. By the end of next week signal strength should be clearer from people posting.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in outlying areas with normally iffy reception able to report comparisons? I feel like I'm talking to people on Match.com, when I need to be on FarmersOnly.com! :)

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My initial usage and looking at the signal strength show that in my area the N7 and Pixel XL are identical, which is to say average. My Pixel does seem to switch back to 4G faster, but I have not had enough use to be sure that is real.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Technically, that is really higher. -97 is a bigger number than -110.

I've seen this said several times on these boards and finally just had to comment because, well, math.

Eh -- you know what I meant. No reason to be super picky about it lol.