Pop up video ads?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I say this b/c malware is beginning to enter the android world, so I'm a bit paranoid about this, b/c it never happened in the past surfing AC. For about 2 weeks now. Nearly every time I open a page on AC, as the web page begins to load normally. The whole screen goes completely black, then the stock video player begins to autoload buffered content. It does not play on it's own even when the content is fully loaded but it will sit on the page forever unless I hit the back key to exit. Even with pop ups disabled and flash turned off. It never did anything like this previously on the site. Just standard banner ads, small pop up ads & flash ads, occasionally. Anyone else getting this? I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else. If it's AC that's fine, I just wanna know it's them and not some malicious app on my phone. I have a minute amout of apps, all from the Market on my phone. So market malware is ruled out already. I've wiped my phone and flashed a few different roms but pop up video ads keep occurring. Anyone else?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
No idea what you're talking about. Can you tell me what browser you're using, what page you're on and, if possible, screen shot it for me?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
No idea what you're talking about. Can you tell me what browser you're using, what page you're on and, if possible, screen shot it for me?

That's not what I was hoping to hear Phil. I was hoping it was a new thing on sites. It's not like nomal flash adverts. It's happened on both the stock browser and Dolphin. It automatically pulls up the stock video player over top of the browser page. Once the full video screen goes black, all the screenshots of video show up blank in my gallery. All the video ads I viewed are android related and have popped up on me sporadically when viewing phonearena and xda but it occurs most often in the AC forums.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what to make of this but it hasn't happened once since I last posted on here. It was happening daily and constantly online for 2 weeks. Just so no one thinks I'm talking about the pop up ads with the clear black background that pop up occasionally. These video pop ups are opening up the video player app and buffering for playback, over top of a newly open web page. Some or the videos have been over 2 mins. long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick