Possible defect in sapphire crystal lens glass

ready2mosh

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile version of the G2, I have gone through 3 of them so far. What I have found is if you look at your crystal that covers the camera you may see what appears to be small scratches. Here is my third phones lens glass, bottom right of the glass it looks like scratches.

IMG_20131006_223840.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But when you plane light off of the surface of the glass you'll see no scratches, which means it's internal, the glass is fracturing for some reason.

IMG_20131006_223901.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Before anyone says you I did something to them, I haven't. I am very careful with my electronics, I bought a case and screen protector and had them on before I even touched the phones.

THIS SUCKS!!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The scratches are definitely visible. Are you noticing any negative effects with the photos you've taken? i.e. blur, noise, etc.?

ready2mosh

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
They aren't scratches, they are cracks and yes it affects the camera depending on how the light hits it because the cracks refract light differently than non cracked glass. I'm a jeweler and see this type of inclusion (fracture) all the time in gem stones. It's like a tiny crack in your windshield, next thing you know it's spreading and becomes a monster crack all the way across your windshield.

ready2mosh

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, others are seeing it but they think they are scratches. The only way I can tell people how to find them is you have to hold your phone at an angle where no light is reflecting off of the surface of the glass, now very slowly roll the phone back and forth and side to side, look for lines in the glass, they will be very faint, if you see lines and want to check if they are scratches or cracks have light reflect off the surface of the lens

afmracer6

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Im getting the same on my Verizon G2. I cant see the scratches/cracks in the photos I take but now that I know the lense isn't perfect. Im obsessed with looking carefully at each photo for problems.

ready2mosh

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Im getting the same on my Verizon G2. I cant see the scratches/cracks in the photos I take but now that I know the lense isn't perfect. Im obsessed with looking carefully at each photo for problems.

I have a feeling this is going to plague a lot of people, I am super careful with my stuff, put case on it before I even touched it, all 3 times. I think they need to put a rubber gasket around the glass to absorb any contact with the phone frame when it flexes.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Not seeing anything on my lens cover, also Verizon here. The Verizon lens cover is much smaller than the others, it only covers the camera and not the surrounding area.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
IMG_20131007_154502.jpg

Verizon version is different. Smaller and slightly recessed in the grooved metal "O". No scratching and I don't think it will be a problem like yours though time will tell. Its the only good thing Verizon did.

That and the power button lights up. Do the others? It looks like the volume arrows on back light up?

IMG_20131007_155030.jpg

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've seen countless pictures from countless G2s and have never seen one picture that manifested a scratched lens.
My feeling is if it doesn't manifest itself in actual pictures or videos, it's not a significant issue.

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but sometimes I think some people go way to far trying to find something...anything wrong with these things. Holding a phone up to a light every which way to try and see a scratch that has no impact on pictures, just seems a bit anal.

When these issues actually impact the pictures, then I'll sit up and take notice.

Posted via Android Central App

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The title caught my attention and so had to look at mine...no cracks or scratches that I can see. There will always be some quality issues in production and that's why they have a return/exchange policy. Aside from some blurry pictures, the only strange thing I noticed is now my phone has a slight rattle, which I didn't have the first two weeks. I'd just take yours back again.

posted from LG G2

Giusseppe Arcangel

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I think i have to reply to this. Yes, I am confirming this. SAPPHIRE is not as strong as you think. Mine cracked 7 o clock position. Image quality is not negative but I couldnt stand the sight of it, its about to shatter any minute. I never dropped mine. I am very careful with my gadget. why o why :(

mpacheco96

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
my tmobile g2 has this problem it has about 10 of the "scratches" on the lens. it honestly does not affect the pictures at all for me. i think the minimum focus length is further than the sapphire glass of the lens so scratches wouldnt affect the picture since the camera is focusing further from the glass. i havent seen any lighting issues either which you would expect to see. i shot in direct light and everything seemed to be fine.

Jasmine M

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have tried it with a key and started scratching it..I found there is a coating on it....It's clean by scratching ..Not it's working fine ..clean and crisp photos..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson