Possible iPhone Convert

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone

You can call me Ginger. I live in Dixie Alley and am a pretty content iPhone user that was curious about Android and what all it could do. A lifeguard friend of mine was showing me his phone last week at the gym and I was just blown away by what his Moto X could do vs what my iPhone can do. One thing I really liked was how he had a phrase he could say to the phone to wake it up and how if he turned it screen side down, it wouldn't ring. He said his can also tell when he's driving and it won't ring and when he enters his work schedule in the calendar, the phone knows not to ring while he's at work. I'm impressed. My question is - are these standard features on all Androids or just the Moto X because I really like the features which is something my iPhone can't do. Are there any features you as members like? Please, tell me about them. As you can tell by my newbie questions, I don't know much about Androids. I had a BlackBerry before my iPhone and have had iPhones since the 4s.

I'll be lurking in the forums to see what all Android can truly do but I wanted to ask that question first and foremost before I made the Android jump.

I look forward to hanging around the Android forums.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The "always listening" feature is specifically for the Moto X (and the Droid Turbo, I think, which shares much of the hardware). There are ways to get it on other Android devices, but the Moto X is optimized for this function, so it uses very little battery. Other Android devices would drain battery much faster if they were always listening.

The great strengths of Android are the huge variety of excellent hardware, the customizability of the interface, and the quality and quantity of apps available. I'm sure others can give you more opinions. You can't go wrong with any of the flagship phones, like the Moto X, Droid Turbo, LG G3, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z3, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4, or Nexus 5 or 6. Have fun!

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've done some checking and I can get on the Edge program at Vzn and get the Moto X today after work. Problem is I have to turn in my iPhone. Never having used Android before, I'm scared if I hate Android, I'm stuck with a phone I don't like.

Decisions, decisions.

How easy is it for a lifelong iPhone user to convert to Android?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of satisfied customers on this forum. Like any platform switch, you just have to get used to the new system.

Here's the official switch guide from Google: Switch to Android

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
There are lots of satisfied customers on this forum. Like any platform switch, you just have to get used to the new system.

Here's the official switch guide from Google:

I think when I get off work in a little bit, I'll be a new Android convert. I'm really looking forward to it too. I'm just excited over what the Androids can do. It'll be a new experience for sure but I learned iOS pretty quickly coming from BB and learned BB pretty quickly coming from a Nokia flip phone. Technology doesn't scare me. I've had my iPhone jailbroken and modded since I first got it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think when I get off work in a little bit, I'll be a new Android convert. I'm really looking forward to it too. I'm just excited over what the Androids can do. It'll be a new experience for sure but I learned iOS pretty quickly coming from BB and learned BB pretty quickly coming from a Nokia flip phone. Technology doesn't scare me. I've had my iPhone jailbroken and modded since I first got it.

Welcome to the forums.
Well, there is a return policy on most phones for all the carriers. That being said, there have been a decent number of people who shiofted from an iPhone to a Moto X and liked it.

The functions you are describing are primarily Motorola features....to be more specific, they all are pretty much in the Moto Assist app. There are apps that can mimic those for other devices, but it depends on the app, and the device. Say the active notifications on a device that has an LCD display will actually kill the battery as opposed to saving it like on an Amoled screen (the difference is Active display lights up only the certain area of the screen on an Amoled; on an LCD the whole screen comes to life.)

I miss my Moto X when my main line was on Sprint. The X was a device that tried to show the world that you can have a very, very solid phone, without top of the line specs.

GingerSnapsBack

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I went on and jumped and I now have the Moto X as of last night. I got most of it set up last night but I'm having a problem with the Moto Voice Assist. It's not letting me select the Launch Phrase option in the menu when I go back to finish setting it up. I've tried tapping it but it won't work. I'll mess with it some today when I have a chance however if anyone has any ideas, please share or PM me since I'm so new to the Android world. :)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I went on and jumped and I now have the Moto X as of last night. I got most of it set up last night but I'm having a problem with the Moto Voice Assist. It's not letting me select the Launch Phrase option in the menu when I go back to finish setting it up. I've tried tapping it but it won't work. I'll mess with it some today when I have a chance however if anyone has any ideas, please share or PM me since I'm so new to the Android world. :)
I think you have to set that up in Settings. There should be a voice icon right after connections.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omcars