Power Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?

flyerhell

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just experienced the same problem with my S7 as well (in fact, I found this thread by googling "Samsung S7 power button not working"). Holding down the power button and volume down button restarted the phone and after restarting, the phone was fine. Strangely enough, the phone was working perfectly for me a few hours ago and when I picked the phone up to turn it off (I turn it off at night), that's when I noticed the power button was no longer working. I haven't installed any new apps over the last few days so it seems to be something in root? Since it seems to be a software issue that's resolved by restarting for all of us, is it worth it to ask Verizon for a replacement?

Dan Adkins

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact same problem and after reading everyone's post I rebooted my phone. This helped. Thanks! I am wondering however, could this have been caused by the fingerprint lock screen? That is the only thing I recently started using before all of this

gtprojectx

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Dan,
I started using the fingerprint security just yesterday too. I also noticed the phone installed Samsung Pay by itself yesterday as well.

I had the same thing happen to me today as well. I was calling my wife's phone and got her voicemail. She didn't answer so i tried to hang up and the application appeared that it did hang up, but I still heard her voicemail message playing as if I didn't hang up. Weird I thought so I tried to turn the screen off and no go.

Thank goodness for Google, found this forum and the power button plus volume down did the trick to reboot the phone. I'm going to leave it as it and see if it happens again. If it does I'm going to disable the fingerprint security and then try again.

Bobbie222

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Haven't used that either. All I had done was the google sign in, took a couple pics, install Twitter and maybe Facebook, I texted, YouTube did an update, and I swapped the SD from my old phone. It was within the first day that it happened, that was Sunday, it happened again yesterday. My son got an S7 at the same time, his is not having the problem. Rules out a Verizon issue I'd think.

gtprojectx

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Haven't used that either. All I had done was the google sign in, took a couple pics, install Twitter and maybe Facebook, I texted, YouTube did an update, and I swapped the SD from my old phone. It was within the first day that it happened, that was Sunday, it happened again yesterday. My son got an S7 at the same time, his is not having the problem. Rules out a Verizon issue I'd think.

Correctly not just a Verizon issue. I'm on Sprint. I've done all those things except for the SD card. I haven't even popped open my SD card slot yet, so this shouldn't have anything related to that.

Barbo232

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I bought my phone, within 2 hours I had the volume and lock issue. Took it in the following day for a new one. I have had it for 4 full days now, and just this morning, the same issue happened. I can not boot in safe mode or even power off or reset the phone.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This happened to my wifes phone, go into settings, go to backup and restore and click reset settings.

This is not a factory reset just a settings reset. It will fix issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the issue where the screen goes black but the phone is still working and receiving notifications and everything: the capacitive buttons, speaker, and led notifications all work. I even managed to take some screen shots while spamming the different button combinations in hopes of rebooting the phone. The combo that seems to work every time is holding the volume down and power buttons simultaneously for around 5 seconds. The phone should reboot and you will get the explore sd card notification. I haven't had the issue again so far, this phone has been awesome except for that one incident

Barbo232

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
That did work! All the buttons work now. Still not okay to have this happen though. I did email Samsung also, people should not be going through this. Thanks for the help!

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad it helped! but yea it shouldn't be happening. it definitely seems like a software thing so hopefully an update will fix this. this phone is too good for people to be returning over a stupid issue like this so I hope they fix it soon.

Matt Valenzuela

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
GT - I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador and want to try and help. As this has been reported across carrier devices, I don't believe this is a Sprint issue vs a Samsung software issue so my ability to fix it will be limited. Did you try the suggested fix in the string and did that help? If there is something you need from Sprint in terms of help with this, please PM me and I will do my best to assist.

gtprojectx

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
GT - I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador and want to try and help. As this has been reported across carrier devices, I don't believe this is a Sprint issue vs a Samsung software issue so my ability to fix it will be limited. Did you try the suggested fix in the string and did that help? If there is something you need from Sprint in terms of help with this, please PM me and I will do my best to assist.

First I'm impressed that out of all the carriers that Sprint is only one that has replied in this thread and that you sought me out when I wasn't the one to start the thread. Thank you. Kudos to Sprint.

After I rebooted the phone with the volume down/power button hold it has not reoccurred.

I would agree with you, I don't think this is carrier specific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere