Power Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
it happened once for me after about a week of owning the phone but after the volume down and power button trick it has not happened again and this phone has been fantastic. anyone else have this issue return constantly or has it been a one time thing like in my case?

Posted via the Android Central App

Hartmons

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Can't provide any advice re; the failure reason/s, but just wanted to say thanks for the tip in getting my phone restarted. FYI I've had my new S7 approx. 8 weeks, other than this mishap, so far so good.

cassidy phillips

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd guess that it's a software issue--either some 3rd party app that's causing the problem, or some glitch in the firmware. You could try booting into Safe Mode, but if this doesn't happen often, it can be tedious to try to narrow it down.

Well, I have a galaxy s6. Just a few hours ago i updated my phone and now the volume down button doesn't work and it won't disable safe mode. I need to find out how to get the volume down to work otherwise it'll stay in safe mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have a galaxy s6. Just a few hours ago i updated my phone and now the volume down button doesn't work and it won't disable safe mode. I need to find out how to get the volume down to work otherwise it'll stay in safe mode

Welcome to Android Central! Are you able to boot into Recovery and wipe the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21095 If it doesn't let you and keeps booting into Safe Mode, then bring the phone to your carrier store and show them what the update did to the phone, and ask them what they can do about it. Otherwise, contact Samsung if the phone is still under warranty.

Agi diaz

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact same problem and after reading everyone's post I rebooted my phone. This helped. Thanks! I am wondering however, could this have been caused by the fingerprint lock screen? That is the only thing I recently started using before all of this

Hi Dan i got same problem im using a5 how can i restart it if power button is not working?

Stoleo Feign

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, make sure you havnt just locked the app you are trying to change the volume on.

Press recents key
Look for little padlock on the app and make sure its unlocked.

see in the image youtube is locked so if i have it open i cant change the volume but if i unlocked it then i would.

i know this is simple but it fooled me at first to thinking my button wasnt working. i would imagine this is some peoples issue . accidently hitting the lock when using recents. so it would seem restarting would fix it as it would reset all the locked apps to default to unlocked.

I registered just to post this. so hope it helps someone. cheers guys and girls.

I've had my phone for about a week now (normal s7) and had this happen this morning. Power button wouldn't turn on screen/do anything and volume down wouldn't do anything. Had to use the home button to get the screen to respond. After holding down the power button and volume down I was able to reset the phone and the issue is no longer present. Should I just assume this was some kind of software hiccup or should I go the route of trying to get it replaced for being defective? I've seen a few posts on reddit and some other forums, seems like an issue that is starting to pop up for quite a few people. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. :)

Stoleo Feign

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Make sure your app isnt locked.

press recents key
look for padlock on app and if is locked tap it and it will unlock.

this could be some peoples issues as using the phone it is easy enough to accidently tap the padlock. then it would seem a reset might fix the issue but really its just setting those padlocks to default unlocked.

hopefully this helps. cheers guys and girls

Hammad Kamran

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
The same happened with my device. I hold the power button and volume down button together for about 10 seconds and my device restarted(although the buttons were not working). And after restarting, the buttons started working. I hope this also works for you.