PSA - Serious Flaw in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't cut down my french. seriously? No control, fin! Thanks bud:) Your double talk just does not convince me...good luck on an official PSA R/T the Nexus fail.....I just want a valid experiment and control? Am i unreasonable for asking that? Hearsay is way too easy.....:cool:

Yes it's too much too ask for from anyone who doesn't have large scale resources like Google, Samung, Verizon or a third party professional lab. It's just not practical for a regular person, in fact it's highly unusual for any single person to have access to this many devices to begin with. This is way more than anyone else has done.

And it's NOT hearsay, it may not be 100% scientific abut there is empirical data to back it up. And with all die respect given the amount of discussion and likes it has generated it is no where near a fail.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
My GN (AXI0M | PATIENT ZERO ROM) blows the Iphone 4s out of the water on any speed related task.
Over wifi, 3g, 4g or even apps not using internet my GN motors past the 4s by a wide margin.

The Iphone 4s has a better weather widget, battery life and Siri works well for me...but that ends the list of things Iphone 4s has over GN.

But that's the point, you are running a custom rom with newer radios. I never said that the Nexus had a flaw that could not be fixed I said that the STOCK nexus has a flaw and it does, poor reception.

Like I said earlier, I would like nothing better than to see an OTA come out that fixes this issue so we can end this thread with

Problem Solved: Install the newest OTA and enjoy your (like) new phone. :)

But right now the phone as it is is a questionable buy because of the reception issue. People considering buying it should know that and thus the PSA.

Reactions: Monkey Pi

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes it's too much too ask for from anyone who doesn't have large scale resources like Google, Samung, Verizon or a third party professional lab. It's just not practical for a regular person, in fact it's highly unusual for any single person to have access to this many devices to begin with. This is way more than anyone else has done.

And it's NOT hearsay, it may not be 100% scientific abut there is empirical data to back it up. And with all die respect given the amount of discussion and likes it has generated it is no where near a fail.

It is hearsay, you say it and we hear it. I respect what you are trying to do, but understand the nexus has a poor radio, and was never advertised as being a military grade device. Don't expect it to outperform everything, it wont. I agree it is unusual to have that many devices, but I think it is also unusual to have those devices and sink from one tower then say fail. You went to all the trouble, why not throw a few more towers in the mix and concrete your argument. BTW, if you do the results will be the same, the nexus has a cheap radio chip, but that was intended, not a flaw man.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The title says so.....can you fix that?

The title says it has a flaw no where does it say that it can't be fixed (that would be a fatal flaw), and in fact in numerous places in the thread I have expressed hope that an OTA will fix the flaw. You're reading more into it than there is.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The title says it has a flaw no where does it say that it can't be fixed (that would be a fatal flaw), and in fact in numerous places in the thread I have expressed hope that an OTA will fix the flaw. You're reading more into it than there is.

I will say it again for the millionth time, cheap radio.....not a fix, though not a flaw....mid range device with sub-par hardware compared to the MAXX and iPhone.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in and say that while I haven't done as much research as you have here, I have compared the GN with the Bionic and Thunderbolt and came up with very similar conclusions. Everywhere I go the GN consistently has a worse signal as well as slower internet speeds.

I DO NOT have 4G in my area but places where I would generally get great signal on 3G and decent speeds ranging from 1000kbs-1500kbs on the Bionic and Thunderbolt, the GN would be 300-500kbs slower.

I work in a very rural area that usually has fantastic Verizon coverage (when I was using the Bionic and Thunderbolt there) and sometimes I'll go to use my phone over 3G and it will appear to have a data signal but it will be so slow that it's unusable. Running speed tests on it show a download speed as low as 8kbs... That's ridiculously slow. Then an hour later, sitting in the exact same location, the speed will miraculously come back up to normal. I never had these issues with the Bionic, Thunderbolt, as well as the OG motorola Droid.

I'm rooted and on 4.0.4 with the newest radios and still have these issues with my GN. Who knows if this is something fixable with an update but I hope it is because every time this happens to my phone I want to throw it against the wall and get something different.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in and say that while I haven't done as much research as you have here, I have compared the GN with the Bionic and Thunderbolt and came up with very similar conclusions. Everywhere I go the GN consistently has a worse signal as well as slower internet speeds.

I DO NOT have 4G in my area but places where I would generally get great signal on 3G and decent speeds ranging from 1000kbs-1500kbs on the Bionic and Thunderbolt, the GN would be 300-500kbs slower.

I work in a very rural area that usually has fantastic Verizon coverage (when I was using the Bionic and Thunderbolt there) and sometimes I'll go to use my phone over 3G and it will appear to have a data signal but it will be so slow that it's unusable. Running speed tests on it show a download speed as low as 8kbs... That's ridiculously slow. Then an hour later, sitting in the exact same location, the speed will miraculously come back up to normal. I never had these issues with the Bionic, Thunderbolt, as well as the OG motorola Droid.

I'm rooted and on 4.0.4 with the newest radios and still have these issues with my GN. Who knows if this is something fixable with an update but I hope it is because every time this happens to my phone I want to throw it against the wall and get something different.

Thanks for sharing :)

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Were you able to flip free of charge, or did you pay outright? I would have switched to the Maxx if it were not for two things: the screen and the fact the roms/dev support are severely restricted. The materials, shape, and battery life are very appealing to me, but I buy Android because I love having complete control (which is probably why I've never owned an automatic transmission in my life ;)).

My past 3 devices have been documented on here. But cliffs:

First - volume rocker stopped working
Second - defective CLN replacement (screen was scratched/scuffed)
Third - dead pixels and crap between the screen/glass, again a defective CLN replacement
Fourth - perfect so far

I was able to flip free of charge. While I love having complete control of my device, I need it to serve its primary function first. I will miss the Devs, and the freedom of an unlocked bootloader, but if I can't carry a conversation due to faulty hardware the what is the point?

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I often visit my daughter who lives in a valley outside Birmingham. It has no 4G coverage. My previous phone was an HTC Incredible. To carry on a conversation for more than seconds I had to go outside. With the Gnex I had long conversations without leaving the house. Am I claiming the radio is great based on my experience. No. But then I am aware that experiences and phones differ so I would not presume to call my experience a PSA. Since I can read I understand that many experience no problems and some experience many. Therefore I would not steer others away from the phone. But again, my goal is not to gain attention. My 4G speeds vary with my location, oh my, it must be defective radios. I have about 6Mbps at home but have speed tested over 40 Mbps in a Las Vegas hotel. My belief is that the towers you connect to have more to do with your experience than the phone. But I do not claim that is based on scientific principals, just my observations.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I had the Bionic before the GN and I see about the same 3G radio performance between the two (on the weak side) - My previous DroidX has yet to meet it's 3g radio match.

With the GN and bionic before it, I attach to wifi everywhere I go (if possible).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I was able to flip free of charge. While I love having complete control of my device, I need it to serve its primary function first. I will miss the Devs, and the freedom of an unlocked bootloader, but if I can't carry a conversation due to faulty hardware the what is the point?

PM me with how you were able to pull that off. I sort of tried between the 2nd and 3rd device, but to no avail.

If for some reason #4 craps the bed, I'm going to need an escape clause.

jekbrown

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My gnex maintains a solid 4g signal even when I am at work....underground with a lot of concrete and steel on top of me.... while my partners IPhone can't even maintain a 3g signal. I have no probs with the gnex radio.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
PM me with how you were able to pull that off. I sort of tried between the 2nd and 3rd device, but to no avail.

If for some reason #4 craps the bed, I'm going to need an escape clause.

I am calling them at lunch and going to ask them what my options are.

Seriously, driving on a highway 2 miles from the 4g tower and I have zero signal? That is not right.
I think Red said in the past they would replace it with a bionic.....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I often visit my daughter who lives in a valley outside Birmingham. It has no 4G coverage. My previous phone was an HTC Incredible. To carry on a conversation for more than seconds I had to go outside. With the Gnex I had long conversations without leaving the house. Am I claiming the radio is great based on my experience. No. But then I am aware that experiences and phones differ so I would not presume to call my experience a PSA. Since I can read I understand that many experience no problems and some experience many. Therefore I would not steer others away from the phone. But again, my goal is not to gain attention. My 4G speeds vary with my location, oh my, it must be defective radios. I have about 6Mbps at home but have speed tested over 40 Mbps in a Las Vegas hotel. My belief is that the towers you connect to have more to do with your experience than the phone. But I do not claim that is based on scientific principals, just my observations.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Where I am now, at my apartment, has horrible 4G. I drive into school, which is ~5-10 blocks from Congress, and I can download a rom in a matter of seconds.

This phone may have intrinsic radio problems, but a lot of it could simply be your 4G area sucks, regardless of what that map says.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am calling them at lunch and going to ask them what my options are.

Seriously, driving on a highway 2 miles from the 4g tower and I have zero signal? That is not right.
I think Red said in the past they would replace it with a bionic.....

I'd rather cut my leg off than get a Bionic. Were I to "swap" it'd be for either a Maxx or Rezound.

That being said, I don't want to, and right now this device--which, I must reiterate, was made like 3 weeks ago--is the bee's knees.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
this is a long thread and I'm not reading it all. My signal has been completely fine, and better than my Incredible was. I had data issues, but since I upgraded the radio those are fixed. It's been a great phone otherwise.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Engadget has a story/thread "How would you change your GNex" since the beginning of this week... and damn few owners are mentioning radios. Maybe 1 out of 100 comments mention radios or call quality/dropping.

PSA - more in demand than radios are: a different button layout, better speaker, better camera, better battery, better glass, SD card slot, stronger vibrate, better GPU.

How would you change Samsung's Galaxy Nexus? -- Engadget