Questions for switching from iPhone 5

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
okokok so the I have the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini, IT'S JUST SO BORING OMFG it's driving me nuts. Especially without a Jail Break (I know the dream jailbreak is coming out Dec.22). Note 2 caught my eye, so here are a few questions I need answered before I go get it.
Is jellybean laggy? I had the asus transformer prime, sold cause android was so extremely laggy. Like during web browsing is the scrolling as smooth as iOS which pretty much never lags. Also, was it just released? Or will there be a Note 3 like the S4 coming out soon.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You will be surprised at how fast animations are, how fast apps open and close, and how smooth out really is. S4 should be released in 3-5 months. Note 3 will be like 11 months from now.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would wait for the sgs 4 in feb, I just wanted a maxed out size 5.5 inch phone asap. I haven't noticed a lot of lag at all (project butter) with the phone. It seems like you have quite the electronics budget. :cool::cool::thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I made the swith from the iphone 5. I was incredibly bored with it as well. Im floored by the note 2. Awesome battery life is my fav thing I think. Jelly bean has pretty much killed the lagging. What do you want to know?

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
@jdub1981 How's the weight? the iPhone 5 is insanely light, is the weight of the note 2 manageable? Also, are there any good note taking apps? like for school. I really enjoy the iStudiez app on my iphone, so is there anything similar? Thanks! :) P.S. How is the screen resolution? 26x ppi seems extremely low...

Last edited:

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Former iphone junkie (owned all of them including the 5) now I'm rockin the Note 2,,,,, no regrets at all.

The Note 2 is just an amazing phone, camera and tablet.

And in case your wondering, the size becomes a non-issue after about a week,,,,, weird, but the Note 2 size feels very normal to me now,,, didn't think that would happen during the first few days with the Note 2.

Cheers
Davyo

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
@jdub1981 How's the weight? the iPhone 5 is insanely light, is the weight of the note 2 manageable? Also, are there any good note taking apps? like for school. I really enjoy the iStudiez app on my iphone, so is there anything similar? Thanks! :) P.S. How is the screen resolution? 26x ppi seems extremely low...

If your only complaint is that iOS is boring then you may want to stick with your iPhone. It seems that you have the apps you like on iOS and probably have a huge investment in iTunes. Switching may not be for you.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I also had a large amount of money invested in ios. Probably over 300-400 in apps. The weight isnot bad. But it considerably heavier than iphone 5. Like others have said it will feel normal in about a week. As far as ppi goes I dont really see it. Apple made me think it was important, but when you step up to a screen this big things like ppi stop mattering. I watched a 720p movie for 2 hours yesterday. After 2 hours I had only lost 9% of battery. Can an iphone do that?

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's a pretty awesome phone, but I hate how samsung releases the notes right before the SGS line . Makes the bleeding edge feel like a well placed machete chop to the neck...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I think it's unrealistic to expect completely zero lag with Android. As an open platform, the smoothness is not always going to exist between hardware and software.

Having said that, Android has improved exponentially in this area. Compared with Gingerbread and even ICS, JellyBean is almost completely lag-less.

Also, you still are not going to get the fluidity that iOS has. The test I always perform is to see how quickly the accelerometer changes from the screen from landscape to portrait when tilting the phone. iOS has always outperformed Android in fluidity and that trend continues even with JB + Note 2 Quad-Core and 2gigs of RAM.

But if you're going to base your entire phone purchase on the very occasional slight slight hiccup and a bit less fluidity then there is nothing we can help you with. Bottom line is that the pros of Android greatly outweigh the few cons that exist and the Note 2 is an absolute beast of a phone that blows the iPhone 5 out of the water. I haven't personally used an iPhone 5 at great length but since iOS has barely changed since the first iPhone I think it's appropriate to use my experience using one of my friends iPhone 4 for a bit.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had (recently) the Galaxy Nexus (rooted running smooth JB builds), and the Asus Transformer Prime. Still have my Nexus 7 and now the Note 2. The Note 2, even running Samsung's Touchwiz, is by far the smoothest, snappiest device I have ever used. Lag is very minimal moving throughout the UI, save for cycling through the widget selection screen.

The Note 2 is about a week to 2 months old depending on carrier. We're still a good 6 months away from getting our hands on the GS IV, and the Note 3 is even further away.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Compared to the Retina iPad, I like the Note 2 screen better. It seems just as "HD"...a big part of its clarity/sharpness is the non-pentile pixel arrangement. You'll be pleasantly surprised despite the ppi in the 260s.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Had a 4--4s-and then a 5 at launch. I was bored like you and just wanted something new and different. I bought the note 2 at retail price knowing I could sell my 5 32gb which was in mint condition. I held out waiting for the price I wanted via craigslist and in the interim, sometimes used it at home on wifi for facebook and using cnbc. Those are the only two apps that do not work as well on the note. CNBC is a joke and facebook is slow.

You will never see the note 2 as smooth as the 5. Wont happen. BUT, I have NO regrets whatsoever selling my iphone and still use my retina ipad on a daily basis. I LOVE the ipad but love the note for my phone, etc.

I say go for it. IF you can afford to buy the note 2 and take full advantage of the return policy, do it and then decide to sell your iphone. Best of both worlds.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Look up "Project Butter". With Jelly Bean 4.1 and up, they work specially on taking out the "lag" and make it as smooth as iOS. I came from generations of iPhones and the Note II is as smooth as any iPhone.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have also had every iPhone model and have tried other android devices and always went back to iOS, but I really can't see me going back to iOS this time.
Samsung has done a great job with the Note 2, I originally wanted it for screen size, but have numerous things I love about it.

Battery life is amazing I easily make it through the day without having to charge. I have finally gotten used to not having to plug it in every chance I get.
I didn't really think I would use the s pen much but find myself using it pretty regular now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I mostly use mine for browsing. I dont like resizing the screen just so I can easily tap on smaller items on screen. The pen gives more accurate presses. I also like to draw on pics of friends. There are lots of stuff it can do and im only scratching the surface on its capabilities.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't get too hung up on ppi on the display. First, the screen is bigger so you will typically hold it further from your eyes. At some point, those extra pixels are rendered meaningless.

Second, contrast ratio has as much if not more to do with viewing experience than resolution. This SuperAMOLED has it in spades...as good as there is.

AMOLED is not as bright, so in direct sunlight it's not as good. But in normal environments, this display is gorgeous.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
cmatthews, what use for the spen do you have regularly? I dont use it much unless im showing my phone off. haha

I use it for quick notes on a regular basis, I have it so notepad pops up when removed and don't even have to unlock phone to use so it quick than typing a note.

Also use for browsing web comes in handy for press links without zooming in, also hovering over drop down menus is nice.

Drawing on photos, it editing photos is another thing I use it for. Cones in handy with sketch book and picsay pro.

I'm site I could get by without it, but it really does make some things easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317