[RADIOS][VZW] Galaxy Nexus Radios and Installation Guide

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
put my new radios thru the ringer...

was on the phone with everybody... is working a LOT better > 2-hours of talk...

before, usually around the 30 min mark, on so; you get the usual - digital, snaps, pops, crackle, very loud screeches...

now... I can still make out a bit of that, but the noises are a lot muted, almost, almost ignorable... voices cut-out is also almost ignorable...

gonna, take a drive around town, and see how the 4G is...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is a problem, but my phone is showing Roaming when on my network extender. Have an R where i usually see 3g. Anyone else have a network extender and new radios? Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't have one. I just run my Verizon router to a Linksys wireless n900

Reactions: kca2000

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ran over to the VZ store... here is a side-by-side of my phone vs the one of display...

How do you read dBm again...? Doesn't this show that the Demo unit have a better signal?

Demo:
IMG_20120829_152157.jpg

Mine:
%5BUNSET%5D

BTW... Oh God... ICS is sooo sloooowww... the lag, how on earth did we EVER use that thing....?!! ;-)

Last edited:

KYHusker

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
That said, aokp build 1 is stable, So I think you could update to that and jb boot and radios if you wish.

prolly the wrong thread but since it's being discussed here, I'm asking for clarification about the JB bootloader.

I'm staying with AOKP build 1 because I'm digging it and my phone is all tricked out the way I like it. Downloaded the 411_radio zip and flashing the radios looks good to go. thanks dmmarck

I DL'ed JRO03O and IMM76 Q just for grins.

SO .. what is/where can I find the JB bootloader? I'll check the other unofficial official JB threads for guidance too, but a quick note here will be appreciated by us kina sorta noobs

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
prolly the wrong thread but since it's being discussed here, I'm asking for clarification about the JB bootloader.

I'm staying with AOKP build 1 because I'm digging it and my phone is all tricked out the way I like it. Downloaded the 411_radio zip and flashing the radios looks good to go. thanks dmmarck

I DL'ed JRO03O and IMM76 Q just for grins.

SO .. what is/where can I find the JB bootloader? I'll check the other unofficial official JB threads for guidance too, but a quick note here will be appreciated by us kina sorta noobs

It's in the main JB thread, but here's the direct link ==> Dev-Host - gnex-jb-bootloader.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Flash that :).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the BB dev also has an archive if we ever need to plan for nuclear winter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
After flashing the radio.zip package this is what my baseband shows. I flashed directly over what I had before. Which was FC 04 and FC 05. Appears to be working fine. Can anyone else confirm that baseband numbers of the same?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I spoke too soon, got one call on the way home; same static pop, screeches... had to hang up and call back...

oh well, let's see how this one does in the long run...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I spoke too soon, got one call on the way home; same static pop, screeches... had to hang up and call back...

oh well, let's see how this one does in the long run...

That's not the radio software, BTW. Sounds more like hardware. But that's not a radio, unfortunately.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to jinx it but I haven't had any total signal loss "empty triangle" at all on these new radios. I downloaded the new radios around 1:00pm this afternoon and I checked my No Signal Alert app and I haven't had any drops. I would get them intermittently throughout the day. I would have 3 or 4 bars and then nothing for a minute and then it would come back.

Winner winner.... you know the rest.

Ridgerunner20

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just flash this update two hours ago, and since then my phone has not loss signal. Btw, before I applied the update I was dropping signal every ten to fifteen minutes. Fingers crossed, and praying that it stays this way.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i havent noticed much different but i live in a strong 4g area. see what happens with a full day at school in a weaker spot ..

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you're staying on ICS, don't flash the jb boot loader. AFAIK, The new radios haven't been tested with ICS boatloader, so beware.

That said, aokp build 1 is stable, So I think you could update to that and jb boot and radios if you wish.

However, I understand the concerns, so you might be better off waiting for a milestone build, but I can attest to several weeks of stability on aokp. I would say it outpaces euroskank in the stable dept for sure.

Personally, I think the stability is your phone's preference. I have had nothing but good experience with Euroskank, but my wife's phone couldn't boot with the last 2 nightlies. Her phone might need AOKP. She tried booting with Franco as well and nothing. I think both are very stable. But, everyone has their own experience.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think the stability is your phone's preference. I have had nothing but good experience with Euroskank, but my wife's phone couldn't boot with the last 2 nightlies. Her phone might need AOKP. She tried booting with Franco as well and nothing. I think both are very stable. But, everyone has their own experience.

It wouldn't boot at all? Hmm. Did you try restoring a nandroid, and if so, success?