Recharge times?

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
hello

what are typical recharge times from dead, and about 50%?

from a standard 1amp 5watt charger?

thanks - thinking of going Android from iPhone but if it takes 5-10 hours to charge it might not be "worth" it?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
hello

what are typical recharge times from dead, and about 50%?

from a standard 1amp 5watt charger?

thanks - thinking of going Android from iPhone but if it takes 5-10 hours to charge it might not be "worth" it?

Never from 'dead' but I've run my phone down to 15% or so several times (took me over 2 1/2 days to do so, BTW.) It took 2 hrs. and 45 minutes to recharge. I know because I wrote it down. I have not measured charge up from 50% but I would guess it would be about an hour. Charging seems to be slower when you get down to when the battery icon is in the red, then speeds up as the battery charges further.

spiraleze

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree with times listed by PowrDroid.
Of course if you need a faster charging time you could always get something like a 2 amp charger (like I have for my BB Playbook) and that charge time would probably be reduced to around 1.5 hours from 0-10% charge. I have never tried it but that is because the Maxx's battery lasts all day (sometimes 2 days) and I charge overnite.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Never from 'dead' but I've run my phone down to 15% or so several times (took me over 2 1/2 days to do so, BTW.) It took 2 hrs. and 45 minutes to recharge. I know because I wrote it down. I have not measured charge up from 50% but I would guess it would be about an hour. Charging seems to be slower when you get down to when the battery icon is in the red, then speeds up as the battery charges further.

Is that charging from a wall outlet? Charging the phone from a portable battery charger, like a New Trent, is gonna take longer than a wall outlet.

Actually, I am at 49% battery on my Razr MAXX HD right now. Let me see if I can plug in my New Trent and time it.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX HD.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
1 hour 40 minutes to go from 48% battery to 98% using my New Trent 9900 mAh battery charger. My New Trent was completely charged at the start. You can see the screen shots. One is right before I plugged the phone in, and one is right before I yanked the cord out. I use GSam Battery app where the current battery percentage appears in the upper left of the notification bar. Note the times in the upper right.

I used the 1 amp charging port on the New Trent. The 2 amp port is recommended only for tablets.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358875942093.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358875942093.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358875961030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358875961030.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358875974532.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358875974532.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358875985694.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358875985694.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 20

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that charging speed from a portable charger is also dependent on the capacity of the charger itself. Mine is 9900 mAh. A 5000 mAh charger would take a bit longer. These things use passive charge gradients to charge from a higher capacity device to a lower capacity device. The bigger the difference between the two, the faster the phone charges. You're gonna need a charger with significant capacity to charge up our big 3300 mAh Razr MAXX HD battery.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that charging speed from a portable charger is also dependent on the capacity of the charger itself. Mine is 9900 mAh. A 5000 mAh charger would take a bit longer. These things use passive charge gradients to charge from a higher capacity device to a lower capacity device. The bigger the difference between the two, the faster the phone charges. You're gonna need a charger with significant capacity to charge up our big 3300 mAh Razr MAXX HD battery.

Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. Do you happen to know the mAh output of the stock Moto charging unit?

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Stock Motorola charger (cube) that came with my Maxx is rated at 1150 mah output.
You're mixing up charge capacity, measured in milliAmp-hours, with current output, measured in milliAmps. A battery is rated in mAh. That specifies how much current it can supply for how long (the product of current and time). A charger is rated in mA. That specifies how much current it delivers. The stock charger is 1150 mA. It will deliver 1150 mAh of charge in an hour of charging.

The phone will not accept charge at a much higher rate than 1150 mA. That means a dead battery will take (3300/1150) or a little less than three hours to charge if it would accept charge at that rate. In fact, it won't. Its power management circuit meters the accepted charge to prevent the battery from overheating (which would reduce its life). Real-world charge time will be affected by battery age and condition, but is probably between four and five hours for a totally discharged battery. A portable charger isn't going to be much faster (asssuming that it has enough charge in it and the ability to deliver it at the 1150 mA rate the phone can accept). A larger storage capacity just means that it will store enough charge to deliver (at 1150 mA) to several discharged phones before it itself needs to be recharged.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao