Registering iris scanner-glasses

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I haven't got my Note 9 yet and as I said before, I'm coming from a Galaxy S5. Yeah I know, like chalk and cheese.

All the rumours are that this will be Sammy's last phone with iris scanner as they will feature 3D face scanner like iPhone X. But I am curious.

If you wear non bi focal, non tinted glasses, is it better to register the iris scanner with glasses on or off? I just had my own made up idea that it would be better to register the iris scanner through the glasses so the system is set up for reading the same way. But I know Sammy suggests otherwise.

Could someone settle this for me? Thanks.

So looking forward to my Note 9 coming from an S5.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I wear glasses but not all the time.

When I was setting up my Note 9 there was a pop up advising to put glasses on if relevant to complete the security set up.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So with that pop up, was it gesturing to register with glasses on along with glasses off ? In other words, 2 sets of registrations with a single set of eyes, one with glasses off then on?

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
My Note 9 asked me to put my glasses on if I tend to wear them while using the phone. I did it registered. I use Smart Lock, so I don't often unlock my phone; however, the few times I haven't had my watch on, the phone was unlocked before I knew what happened. Pretty awesome.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I believe the glasses on part is for the facial recognition then it makes you take them off for the iris. I've had the the note 7, s8, note 8 and s9. They would make you register your iris with your glasses off, but works pretty well with them on except when there is a glare.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I just registered my eyes. I was able to register with my glasses on and so far it works opening my device with the glasses on. I'll see if it hold up.

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine picks up fine with glasses. When I was setting it up, it ask me if I wear glasses, when I hit yes, it made me scan without glasses on and then it tells me to put my glasses on and it scans with my glasses on.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Mine picks up fine with glasses. When I was setting it up, it ask me if I wear glasses, when I hit yes, it made me scan without glasses on and then it tells me to put my glasses on and it scans with my glasses on.

Cool. I read before that the sensor for the iris scanner has been increased in the Note 9. Look forward to trying that out. Nice that Sammy thought of glasses in the set up/registering process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko