Release Date

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just received a phone call from a VZW rep yesterday asking me if I would like to "upgrade" early and get a TB. I asked her why I would do that when the Bionic is coming out, and I still have several months left on my 2 year contract. She says... "...well we aren't sure when that phone will be released. What if you can't wait long enough with your Droid?"

When I told her that I loved my Droid and that I would be happy with it forever, except for the fact that this Bionic is coming out soon, she said... "Well when you decide that you can't wait any longer feel free to give me a call back and pick up a TB."

Take that as you will...

PS - I am still waiting for the Bionic. I absolutely LOVE my OG Droid, and so far the Bionic is the ONLY phone that has enticed me enough to switch from it. It is giving me a bit of a headache lately though... :)

Reps know nothing. At all.

She was just trying to get a sale.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I just received a phone call from a VZW rep yesterday asking me if I would like to "upgrade" early and get a TB. I asked her why I would do that when the Bionic is coming out, and I still have several months left on my 2 year contract. She says... "...well we aren't sure when that phone will be released. What if you can't wait long enough with your Droid?"

When I told her that I loved my Droid and that I would be happy with it forever, except for the fact that this Bionic is coming out soon, she said... "Well when you decide that you can't wait any longer feel free to give me a call back and pick up a TB."

Take that as you will...

PS - I am still waiting for the Bionic. I absolutely LOVE my OG Droid, and so far the Bionic is the ONLY phone that has enticed me enough to switch from it. It is giving me a bit of a headache lately though... :)

I woulda told her its my own dam business what I decide to do when it comes to upgrading. I wouldn't be the least bit happy with the last line that you quoted from her and me personally would have asked for a supervisor ontop of giving her a piece of my mind because that comment just rubs the wrong way for a CSR. Theres giving a little push trying to make a sale then there is her Sh**ty way to try to make a sales call. Did you get her name down or something? Yeah I may seem a little over the top but if you want to do business and take my hard earned money that pays your salary you better be professional about it and treat me with an ounce of respect from start of call to hanging up.

Last edited:

cwescapexlt4x4

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hoping the release is sooner vs. later (aren't we all?) as my OG Droid is slowly dying and really starting to push my luck at times with its now lack of performance, freezing, blank screen, etc.. So I am really in the market for the Bionic, but almost got a TB and really don't think that's what I want.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I can wait a bit longer. No LTE where I live yet. It should be turned up by mid to late summer. Well thats what "they" are telling me. If so, I hope the Bionic is available at that time.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Funny I have the TB and am thinking about trading it for an X. Only reason I am holding on to TB is resale value...

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yet another doom and gloom post from Howard Forums, this time from wnrussell, who is a very active and well-respected member/insider over there. It seems to jive with what FAUguy said over there a few days ago. I know it flies completely in the face of what BMX recently said, so just take it for what it's worth and try not to shoot the messenger, ha ha. Hopefully it doesn't come to fruition.

Here's his quote:

"The latest information now is that the Bionic is not going to make it to market, and Targa or a similar model will take it's place."

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yet another doom and gloom post from Howard Forums, this time from wnrussell, who is a very active and well-respected member/insider over there. It seems to jive with what FAUguy said over there a few days ago. I know it flies completely in the face of what BMX recently said, so just take it for what it's worth and try not to shoot the messenger, ha ha. Hopefully it doesn't come to fruition.

Here's his quote:

"The latest information now is that the Bionic is not going to make it to market, and Targa or a similar model will take it's place."

Wow. Not trying to shoot the messenger ... but I just don't see how Verizon and especially Motorola would allow this to happen. Verizon hasn't said much, if anything, since CES on it. But, Motorola still has it on the main page of their website along with the XOOM, Atrix, and Cliq 2. There seems to be too much invested from both sides to just let it drop.

Plus, whether it's a hardware or software issue, would the Targa or similar model really solve it? Why wouldn't they have the same issue(s)? Maybe a non-LTE device would make things simpler if it's hardward related. I'm just having a hard time believing this one.

Again, not trying to shoot the messenger. :)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I do not understand why there is so much negative comments before every phone launches. The Bionic will launch and will launch on time. Until I hear something from Motorola or Verizon I will keep that frame of mind. The only reason I keep checking here is hoping someone has some news or pics or video.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I hear you guys. I'd be pretty surprised if the Bionic was outright cancelled too. I've got to post what I read though, otherwise I'd be doing a disservice to all you fine folks by hoarding all the juicy speculation for myself, ha ha. Besides, it helps to keeps this slow-moving release thread a bit more active. :)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I hear you guys. I'd be pretty surprised if the Bionic was outright cancelled too. I've got to post what I read though, otherwise I'd be doing a disservice to all you fine folks by hoarding all the juicy speculation for myself, ha ha. Besides, it helps to keeps this slow-moving release thread a bit more active. :)

Maybe we need Be5n to create a thread like the one in the Thunderbolt forum. ;)

Reactions: Slapnpop826

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I thought the rumor could be true had nothing to do with unsolvable hardware issues, but rather if delays meant that Moto and VZW didn't like how they would have to position the Bionic by release date.

With cheaper 3G dual core phones coming out later in Q2, and fairly pricey single core 4g phones out or imminent (cough Charge) I could see Moto feeling like the Bionic might have positioning issues between the DX2/D3 and the Thunderbolt/Charge (especially if Targa can be pushed forward a little to be the Fall's holiday shopping headliner).

I have no inside information aside from what's in the interwebs, but at some point companies do have to consider whether large marketing pushes are worth it for a product that could get lost in the shuffle.

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
as one of the Thunderbolt crazies, I have to say it really warms my heart to see the Bionic hopefuls starting to come apart a the seems. I look back on the failed release dates for the Thunderbolt with nostalgia LOL.

One lesson I did learn through all of it is, Don't Doubt The Panda. It will save you a lot of grief and unneccessary blog checks.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One lesson I did learn through all of it is, Don't Doubt The Panda. It will save you a lot of grief and unneccessary blog checks.

I don't. He was just addressing hardware issues and I was speculating that some of the hushed interwebs scuttlebutt might come from marketing and managerial types rather than engineers.

Also, I don't personally want this phone, so it doesn't matter to me either way. But for those waiting for it I certainly hope it ships on time and kicks some arse!

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I will not give up on it until I hear official word from Verizon and Moto. I have nothing but time. I will wait around with my iPhone 4 for as long as i need too.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Long day is over... I think I understand where this cancelled news is coming from. still cant believe that verizon would be so... misguided, but alot lately has shocked me. I have to confirm with some moto people and some folks on my side.

If so.. guess some folks get collector items to go with their Merge devices... lol

will update accordingly.

aDroidtoRemember

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Long day is over... I think I understand where this cancelled news is coming from. still cant believe that verizon would be so... misguided, but alot lately has shocked me. I have to confirm with some moto people and some folks on my side.

If so.. guess some folks get collector items to go with their Merge devices... lol

will update accordingly.

He speaks! Let us know...we're like a bunch of panicking people in a small room that just heard someone yell "FIRE!!!"

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

will update accordingly.

just the man folks have been waiting to hear from.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngdaddy3