[ROM][ACS]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 (Updated 6/20)

CptDanger88

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright, very quick question, specifically for Paul627g. I was reading somewhere around pages 40-60 and saw in there that you were having the same issue I had a few days ago with the Bionix Black theme. I flashed it with this ROM the other day, and it did the same thing with yours, fc's, locking up, to the point where I just had to start over again, reflashing the ROM, and ignoring the theme, although it was previously running smooth with the Matted Blues theme. My question to you is, did you ever figure anything out for that? I really want to get this theme running properly, but I'm a little afraid to try again. I was gonna try to wipe Dalvik/Cache 5x instead of 3x like you mentioned, but I'm still a little iffy on it still.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Has GB update been passed to sprint to approve? If it has then we have hope of seeing it on the epic. I was beginning to think because we haven't seen it released to customers yet that it was never going to happen.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just installed this ROM, and have am wondering if anybody could help me with a few questions. Not new to rooting/flashing, but new to the Epic 4G.

1. I'm curious about experiences with different kernels with this ROM. The dev's tutorial recommends Genocide, but I've seen that some people have experienced a bug with disappearing audio requiring a re-flash with this kernel. I also noticed some of the dev notes on the ACS site mention changes regarding the Twilight Zone kernel as if it were included--are these notes remnants from a past build, or is Twilight Zone preferred? I'm not looking to overclock, just want (1) stability and (2) best battery life possible. Is there a strong case for one or the other, or any known drawbacks to either?

2. Has anyone else had problems with the lockscreen settings? I've noticed several, but don't know if these are known issues or possibly a problem with this phone:
  • Can't get music controls to appear on lockscreen (on screens where it's available as an option, such as AOSP)
  • Can't set "custom app" option
  • Any way to use the center button on rotary lock, or to customize the actions on the 4-tab lockscreen?
  • When using AOSP lockscreen, touching the menu button unlocks (not on the other lockscreen choices though, which I think is the proper behavior.)

Last edited:

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue. Not to worried with it, but it'd be nice to have.

Thanks for the reply, CptDanger... I didn't see any other posts about it, so thought it may have just been me. You're right, not a deal-breaker, but a disappointment. I assume there's just a bunch of bugs with the lockscreens, then, and the other problems I noted aren't an isolated thing just with me?

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
When I was running SFR 1.1 I think that was twilight zone kernel I had a problem with audio in the voicemail app. I don't remember the details but it would complain about can't play the audio or something like that and I'd have to reboot until it would work again. I don't know if that was a error due to the kernel or not. I didn't try any other kernel. Then I changed to SFR 1.2 and decided to try the genocide kernel they recommended to see what that was like. Because both SFR and kernel changed I can't say which is why I no longer have the problem with listening to voicemail in the voicemail app.

As far as stability and battery life I can't tell the difference between TWZ and genocide. I didn't change anything with them so whatever they are by default is what I was/am at with them. Rock solid stable and battery life I get best case 48 hours on a full charge (virtually no use scenario) and typically 24 hours with heavy use (50% used by 3 hours screen on time, 30% used by 1 hour phone calls, 4% used by wifi, the rest standby/idle).

I don't know mch about lock screens other than what they look like. I use the one with the 4 horizonal sliding things. It shows the media controls on it. I use them once in awhile. I am able to set a custom app for that one though I can't say I ever use it. Or the phone slider either. I only use it because I don't think the media controls are working on the other ones if they are supposed to.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know mch about lock screens other than what they look like. I use the one with the 4 horizonal sliding things. It shows the media controls on it. I use them once in awhile. I am able to set a custom app for that one though I can't say I ever use it. Or the phone slider either. I only use it because I don't think the media controls are working on the other ones if they are supposed to.
Thanks for the reply, StoneRyno. Guess I'll stand pat with Genocide for now until I can get a read on it.

Your info about the lockscreens helps--I didn't check every single combination of settings--maybe it's possible some settings are intended only for specific lockscreens, which would make this a case of poor documentation, or a UI issue (option settings appearing for the wrong setups.) Since all options were present for all screens, it would seem to indicate they should work for all. Next time I get the phone in my hands I'll try the 4-tab screen with music controls and see if I can get them to show up there. I know for certain I tried it on AOSP and rotary, and puzzle, iirc, but I may not have on 4-tab. Thanks!

libraryguy72

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, StoneRyno. Guess I'll stand pat with Genocide for now until I can get a read on it.

Your info about the lockscreens helps--I didn't check every single combination of settings--maybe it's possible some settings are intended only for specific lockscreens, which would make this a case of poor documentation, or a UI issue (option settings appearing for the wrong setups.) Since all options were present for all screens, it would seem to indicate they should work for all. Next time I get the phone in my hands I'll try the 4-tab screen with music controls and see if I can get them to show up there. I know for certain I tried it on AOSP and rotary, and puzzle, iirc, but I may not have on 4-tab. Thanks!
Hey Big, I just loaded the SRF1.2 and genocide 1.1 about 5 days ago, I notice battery life wasnt very good and my blutooth stereo audio kept cutting out, I switched to the TW1.1.1 yesterday, battery life seems alot better and the phone seems more stable and zippy! I figured it couldnt hurt to test it out..LOL. Just make sure you wipe your cache and wipe the Dalvik cache before install. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey Big, I just loaded the SRF1.2 and genocide 1.1 about 5 days ago, I notice battery life wasnt very good and my blutooth stereo audio kept cutting out, I switched to the TW1.1.1 yesterday, battery life seems alot better and the phone seems more stable and zippy! I figured it couldnt hurt to test it out..LOL. Just make sure you wipe your cache and wipe the Dalvik cache before install. Hope this helps :)
I haven't tried Twilight yet, but am curious--is there a reason you chose an older version of Genocide instead of the current 2.0?

libraryguy72

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android and just rooted my phone about a week ago. Genocide 1.1 was linked with the download site where I got SRF1.2 so I just assumed it was the latest vesion. I have downloaded the 2.0 version and am gonna give it a try, but I will say I liked TW 1.1.1

I was an owner of a palm pre from release day until about 4 months ago. I didnt have to root that but had alot of patches installed to overclock and a handful of other things that Android already does natively. I was all over Precentral.net then. I'm so glad I switched to Android! It is truly an amazing OS and I'm thankful the forum and the community that makes it even better! Thanks again! :D

Last edited:

CptDanger88

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, CptDanger... I didn't see any other posts about it, so thought it may have just been me. You're right, not a deal-breaker, but a disappointment. I assume there's just a bunch of bugs with the lockscreens, then, and the other problems I noted aren't an isolated thing just with me?

I wasn't entirely too sure if the music player has anything to do with it either. I use UberMusic, and it has an option to disable lockscreen when player is active, but that also makes the soft keys wake the phone up too, so it's a wash with that apps lockscreen deal. I used to have DoubleTwist, since the lock screen widget worked nice, but I didn't like the layout so much. I also bought the lockscreen widget app to allow me to customize my lock screen and just added one of my players widgets to the lockscreen. That would have worked well, but I couldn't remove the app's notification icon, and that bothered me. All in all, I haven't found a music lockscreen widget or function that I was happy with yet, so when I found out it was an option in this ROM, I was kind of excited. Music controls or not, I'm keeping with SFR, but I just kinda wish I could use them.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't entirely too sure if the music player has anything to do with it either. I use UberMusic, and it has an option to disable lockscreen when player is active, but that also makes the soft keys wake the phone up too, so it's a wash with that apps lockscreen deal. I used to have DoubleTwist, since the lock screen widget worked nice, but I didn't like the layout so much. I also bought the lockscreen widget app to allow me to customize my lock screen and just added one of my players widgets to the lockscreen. That would have worked well, but I couldn't remove the app's notification icon, and that bothered me. All in all, I haven't found a music lockscreen widget or function that I was happy with yet, so when I found out it was an option in this ROM, I was kind of excited. Music controls or not, I'm keeping with SFR, but I just kinda wish I could use them.

Which paid lock screen widget app did you use? I use Widget Locker, and that allows you to remove the notification icon.

Sent from my Epic 4G

libraryguy72

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried Twilight yet, but am curious--is there a reason you chose an older version of Genocide instead of the current 2.0?
well, tried the new genocide 2.0 and it just seems like it kills my battery so quickly...I'm not overclocked but i am a pretty heavy user. I really like the Twilight kernel 1.1.1. It seems so much smoother, reliable, and battery life seems better. Just my 2 cents. :)

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
well, tried the new genocide 2.0 and it just seems like it kills my battery so quickly...I'm not overclocked but i am a pretty heavy user. I really like the Twilight kernel 1.1.1. It seems so much smoother, reliable, and battery life seems better. Just my 2 cents. :)
Yeah, I think I may load Twilight on there tonight, now that it's been a few days and recharge cycles to get a feel for Genocide.

I can say that so far, though, we've seen a major improvement over the stock ROM--I don't think it would be far-fetched to say battery life has nearly doubled with SFR/Genocide2.0. This particular phone was just exceptionally bad on stock.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got done flashing CM7 to my Evo, and it has similar lockscreen features baked in. Fewer styles (ie, no puzzle, no glass), but with the same options: music controls, custom apps, etc. And at least on CM7, all the lockscreen features are operational, and work as intended, as far as I can tell at this point.

I know I could add WidgetLocker to the phone, but (1) it's not worth buying another license, the owner of this phone wouldn't really care about it, and (2) more importantly, if it's baked into the ROM, it shouldn't require a 3rd party app to work properly--one of the reasons to have the ROM handle it natively is to reduce bloat and redundancy. Hopefully they fix it in the next version.

But it's definitely not your music apps causing the problem. :)

Last edited:

drewjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I tried to search this thread, but nothing came up. every few weeks or so. espically if i let my phone die, i get a error that say "google service framework" and it keeps poping up untill i have to wipe and reinstall the rom. is there another way to get rid of this error? or even stop it from happening. it has done this mutliple time with different revison of this rom

Edit: i guess you have to turn journaling on. i don't know why more ppl don't have this problem

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You should always try to avoid letting your device run until the battery gives out. It causes issues even on stock OS at times given the right situations when it dies out....