[ROM][ACS]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 (Updated 6/20)

elp

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Im new at this, 1st posted msg. I just rooted my epic to SRF1.2 with Genocide 2.0 Kernel. I love it. Some things i need help on.
1) I try to set some of my favorite links to the home page. It tries to do it, but it just does not show up on my home page.

2) Is there a way to show a battery icon with a percentage indicator. It would be easier on my old eyes.

3) any suggestions on some Kernels to run with SRF 1.2.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Im new at this, 1st posted msg. I just rooted my epic to SRF1.2 with Genocide 2.0 Kernel. I love it. Some things i need help on.
1) I try to set some of my favorite links to the home page. It tries to do it, but it just does not show up on my home page.

2) Is there a way to show a battery icon with a percentage indicator. It would be easier on my old eyes.

3) any suggestions on some Kernels to run with SRF 1.2.

1. Can you walk us through the process you are using to add the shortcuts?

2. There are several themes available that do that with the batter indicator.

3. Genocide is the best kernel available and the rest do the same thing. Genocide left alone will provide for the most stability, battery life, and speed.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
3. Genocide is the best kernel available and the rest do the same thing. Genocide left alone will provide for the most stability, battery life, and speed.
Running SFR for about a week now with Genocide2.0, the increase in battery life and stability with this setup has been incredible. Battery life has easily doubled, and no crashes or freezes (yeah, for some reason this particular phone was exceptionally bad on stock--most of the day the phone is struggling with a week signal while at work. The improvement's been remarkable.) I'd planned to flash Twilight, but it's working so well I don't want to mess with it--looks like we lucked out and got the right combo on the first try here.

To anyone trying SFR, I'd take dtm_stretch's recommendation and flash it as intended with the most recent Genocide kernel. You can branch out from there, but this has been rock solid in my case.

Reactions: dtm_stretch and elp

elp

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I go to my Bookmark Page and hold down my favorite and a screen pops up. I then choose " Add shortcut to Home". But I don't see it after on my Home Page.

What theme can I install on SRF 1.2 to have the battery indicator. Never installed a theme?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I go to my Bookmark Page and hold down my favorite and a screen pops up. I then choose " Add shortcut to Home". But I don't see it after on my Home Page.

What theme can I install on SRF 1.2 to have the battery indicator. Never installed a theme?

Oh there is your problem right there, the bookmark widget is a known issue with the stock browser. I recommend checking out some of the browsers in the market.

Unfortunately, I am mobile so I can't post links but if you look/search for a thread called "ec05 roms, themes and mods" that should point you in the right direction.

Edit: Here ya go http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...-ec05-roms-kernels-themes-mods-7-25-11-a.html

Last edited:

elp

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi dtm-stretch,
this might sound dumb, can I still keep SRF1.2 w/Genocide Kernel 2.0 and just flash a theme. The link you gave me was overwhelming, to many options, any suggestions what i should try?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi dtm-stretch,
this might sound dumb, can I still keep SRF1.2 w/Genocide Kernel 2.0 and just flash a theme. The link you gave me was overwhelming, to many options, any suggestions what i should try?

The base of SRF 1.2 and your kernel will not change when flashing a theme. However the look of the rom will change, you can tell this from the screen shots in each of the posts.

As for installing all you need to do is

1. Download theme.
2. Put Rom on sdcard
3. Reboot into clockwork
4. make a back up
5. wipe cache
6. go to advanced, wipe dalvik cache.
7. back up, then select flash zip from sd card
8. once it finishes reboot and enjoy.
Here is a video showing the process from qbking77 ignore what theme(just a little something an AC member made) he installs; the process is the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2W3eNIEhs&feature=channel_video_title

These themes are my recommendations
1. [ACS][Theme][EC05] Honeycomb Fusion Explosion *Version 1.1 is alive!* - xda-developers
2. [Theme][Port][EC05][AA] MattedBlues v1.4 & EngravedBlues v1.1 - 5/5/11 - xda-developers
3. [THEME][ACS][EC05]ObsidianRed v2.6![8-15-11] 6 Lockscreens INCLUDED! - xda-developers

This is a link to the theme in the video
http://forums.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/98059-theme-ec05-halo-6-27-2011-a.html

Btw there is no such thing as a dumb question. We all have been were you are.

elp

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I settled in on the Obsidian Red/AOSP Batt theme, it has the battery icon. Also Installed the remove AMPM.zip I picked the Launcher pro instead of TW launcher. I can now save my favorites on my homepage now. Not sure if its the theme or the Launcher im using that allowed me to save my favorites on my homepage. Thanks for alll your help. :)

Reactions: dtm_stretch

djmcho

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I am running the Epic on Sprints North NJ network with this version (1.2) and the ec05 modem. I am not feeling like its the best connection but I fear I'm dealing with Verizon (cell tower leasers) vs sprint being dropped on purpose, for obviously, the priority of the verzion customer????

Is there a newer/better modem for SyndicateROM Frozen then EC05 .. or do I have options? Anyone else feel this way and made a change for the better?

PRE-Thanks, yo. :confused:
-djmcho

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
This does not autoconvert. You will need to flash the zip.
Thank you--I've seen others note this as well, and I experienced it myself. First flash of SFR failed, I flashed another ROM (which did the conversion) and later changed to SFR.

What's strange is that on the ACS site, one of their devs says it does the conversion. It's a very good ROM, huge increase in battery life--but definitely some kinks that they need to work out (such as the ext4 converstion.) I really hope we see a more up-do-date v1.3 soon.

I am running the Epic on Sprints North NJ network with this version (1.2) and the ec05 modem. I am not feeling like its the best connection but I fear I'm dealing with Verizon (cell tower leasers) vs sprint being dropped on purpose, for obviously, the priority of the verzion customer????

Is there a newer/better modem for SyndicateROM Frozen then EC05 .. or do I have options? Anyone else feel this way and made a change for the better?

PRE-Thanks, yo. :confused:
-djmcho
I don't believe that we do--I'm hoping that 1.3 would be more current in that area (they've been dropping hints in the SFR thread on XDA that it's imminent, so we'll see.)

billramirez

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi All! First time poster/rooter!

I recently flashed SRF 1.2 w/ the Twilight Zone Kernel 1.1.1 and my battery life hasn't been the best w/ little to no use at all. First I used SetCPU to try to undervolt it but my Epic wouldn't wake up, so I left it w/ no Overclocking or Undervolting at 1000mhz Max/100mhz Min conservative and a profile used when the screen is off at 600mhz Max/100mhz min (any lower of 600 and my phone wouldn't wake up).

I've been monitoring my CPU with CPU Spy and found that its running mostly a 100mhz and monitoring my battery w/ Spare Parts and found that the wi-fi (set to never sleep) is whats using most of the power. Both of these don't make any sense since 100mhz should be using lots of juice and I've read on many forums that its recommended to set the wi-fi sleep policy to "never" to save battery.

Thoughts or Suggestions?

Also, why is Genocide Kernel recommended for this ROM and why most people set their min speed to 200mhz instead of 100mhz?

Thanks!

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi All! First time poster/rooter!

I recently flashed SRF 1.2 w/ the Twilight Zone Kernel 1.1.1 and my battery life hasn't been the best w/ little to no use at all. First I used SetCPU to try to undervolt it but my Epic wouldn't wake up, so I left it w/ no Overclocking or Undervolting at 1000mhz Max/100mhz Min conservative and a profile used when the screen is off at 600mhz Max/100mhz min (any lower of 600 and my phone wouldn't wake up).

I've been monitoring my CPU with CPU Spy and found that its running mostly a 100mhz and monitoring my battery w/ Spare Parts and found that the wi-fi (set to never sleep) is whats using most of the power. Both of these don't make any sense since 100mhz should be using lots of juice and I've read on many forums that its recommended to set the wi-fi sleep policy to "never" to save battery.

Thoughts or Suggestions?

Also, why is Genocide Kernel recommended for this ROM and why most people set their min speed to 200mhz instead of 100mhz?

Thanks!
I'm not entirely sure why Genocide is recommended, but I flashed 2.0 along with SFR and have gotten an amazing improvement in battery life--it's worked so well that I haven't tried any other kernels (I had intended to flash Twilight for comparison.)

I don't recall the exact setCPU settings we used (I'm recently working with my Evo and an LG Optimus S, and these things are bit different on all of them--I'll edit this post once I've had a chance to verify the settings on the Epic.) But I do know that we did not overclock anything, and didn't do any undervolting outside of whatever Genocide2.0 may be doing on its own. I don't recall which governor options there were, but it's set on either smartass or interactive, and we didn't set a wifi sleep policy. With the stock ROM, the battery would sometimes fully drain during the work day (no usage other than responding to an occasional text, no email/internet/calls)... now she gets home and has between 75-85% remaining. So very little tweaking or customization, I think we just got the right combo (SFR/G2.0) for her hardware. Every phone is different, but based on what I've seen, I don't think it would hurt to flash Genocide2.0 and see if you notice an improvement--you can always go back.

edit: man, does my memory suck. :) I'd forgotten that setCPU isn't used with SFR/Genocide, it's VoltageControl. Settings are cfq, governor=interactive, and it's the default 200-1000mhz, nothing overclocked, nothing undervolted. One of these days I'll get around to toying with the settings a bit, tough when it's not your phone though, and it's running really well as is, so there's been no rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: billramirez

billramirez

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure why Genocide is recommended, but I flashed 2.0 along with SFR and have gotten an amazing improvement in battery life--it's worked so well that I haven't tried any other kernels (I had intended to flash Twilight for comparison.)

I don't recall the exact setCPU settings we used (I'm recently working with my Evo and an LG Optimus S, and these things are bit different on all of them--I'll edit this post once I've had a chance to verify the settings on the Epic.) But I do know that we did not overclock anything, and didn't do any undervolting outside of whatever Genocide2.0 may be doing on its own. I don't recall which governor options there were, but it's set on either smartass or interactive, and we didn't set a wifi sleep policy. With the stock ROM, the battery would sometimes fully drain during the work day (no usage other than responding to an occasional text, no email/internet/calls)... now she gets home and has between 75-85% remaining. So very little tweaking or customization, I think we just got the right combo (SFR/G2.0) for her hardware. Every phone is different, but based on what I've seen, I don't think it would hurt to flash Genocide2.0 and see if you notice an improvement--you can always go back.

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna wait for the battery to almost drain so I can take a screenshot of my stats, after that I'll flash the Genocide Kernel that way I can do the same and compare numbers. Right now I have my profiles in SetCPU to "conservative" mostly cause I read it saves more battery than "On Demand" (which I havent tried). At the moment its been around 5hrs and I'm at 50%. Im thinking of switching SetCPU to "interactive" to see how it performs with the other 50%. I'll be looking forward to your numbers, no rush BTW.

Thanks Again theBIG!

billramirez

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
edit: man, does my memory suck. :) I'd forgotten that setCPU isn't used with SFR/Genocide, it's VoltageControl. Settings are cfq, governor=interactive, and it's the default 200-1000mhz, nothing overclocked, nothing undervolted. One of these days I'll get around to toying with the settings a bit, tough when it's not your phone though, and it's running really well as is, so there's been no rush.

Thanks! Last night I flashed Genocide 2.0 set to 1000mhz Max 100mhz min "conservative" on Voltage Control and it did improve battery a bit. This morning I kept the same Max/Min but changed to "interactive" and it was lagging terribly, so I changed the min to 200mhz (while still in interactive) and now its running fine so far :D. I wonder if the min speed at 100mhz had something to do with battery life before, specially since everywhere I read about it people set 200mhz as their min speed. I'll report later today on my new setting.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Last night I flashed Genocide 2.0 set to 1000mhz Max 100mhz min "conservative" on Voltage Control and it did improve battery a bit. This morning I kept the same Max/Min but changed to "interactive" and it was lagging terribly, so I changed the min to 200mhz (while still in interactive) and now its running fine so far :D. I wonder if the min speed at 100mhz had something to do with battery life before, specially since everywhere I read about it people set 200mhz as their min speed. I'll report later today on my new setting.

I thought that the reason setting it too low could cause problems would be things like the phone not waking up, though I could be mistaken.

The other thing we did, and I would recommend, is to make sure you calibrate the battery after flashing a new kernel (charge to 100%, reboot to recovery, wipe battery stats, reboot to SFR then unplug charger, and then don't put it back on the charger until the battery runs out and the phone shuts down.) That's not to be pedantic, you may already be doing this, but I've learned not to assume anything. :) I've noticed that flashing different ROMs on different phones the calibration almost always helps, and it sometimes takes a few charge cycles for the kernel to kind of "settle in". And of course, you should be able to tweak the battery life even further if you play with undervolting (I'll try that eventually myself.) Good luck, I hope this combo works out as well for you as it did for me. :D

billramirez

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought that the reason setting it too low could cause problems would be things like the phone not waking up, though I could be mistaken.

The other thing we did, and I would recommend, is to make sure you calibrate the battery after flashing a new kernel (charge to 100%, reboot to recovery, wipe battery stats, reboot to SFR then unplug charger, and then don't put it back on the charger until the battery runs out and the phone shuts down.) That's not to be pedantic, you may already be doing this, but I've learned not to assume anything. :) I've noticed that flashing different ROMs on different phones the calibration almost always helps, and it sometimes takes a few charge cycles for the kernel to kind of "settle in". And of course, you should be able to tweak the battery life even further if you play with undervolting (I'll try that eventually myself.) Good luck, I hope this combo works out as well for you as it did for me. :D

I've calibrated a couple of times but not since flashing this kernel, I'll do that. I'll also give the kernel about a week to "settle in" and I'll report the results. Thanks again for all your help! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332