Root Droid Bionic on Jelly Bean for dummies. In plain as plain english gets

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the Droid Bionic running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for dummys

This guide is as plain english as it gets because i'll tell you step by step instructions how to do everything to get your Droid Bionic rooted in simple words. It involves running ubunto on your computer but you're not downloading or changing anything on your computer. It's going to run off of a dvd. That's one thing you'll need beside a computer with internet and a usb cable. Blank writable dvd. So here goes!

1. On your computer you're going to ubuntu.com and you're going to download the ubuntu operating system and here's the link. Don't worry nothing gets installed on your computer. Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu . Make sure you pick the 13.04 version for the 32 bit. That's very important. 64 bit version can't do this.

2. Now that you have it downloaded you're going to burn it on to a dvd. This is an iso of the OS. OS is operating system and iso is an image file. Image file meaning you can't burn it on to a dvd like a movie. You have to use an image burner. Windows 7 comes with a built in one and me...i have a dell so mine came with Roxio. Which ever program you use you have to use it to burn this iso on to a dvd.

3. Now you're going to run Ubuntu on your Windows computer on a temporary basis. Like i said nothing gets downloaded on your computer. you're going to put that dvd into your cd/dvd drive and shut the computer off. Then power it on and when you see boot options you hit whatever key it tells you to get you into boot options on your computer. Mine is f12. It should be either f8 or f12 but what you want to do is get into your bios menue. Because you're going to boot up your computer with the dvd and run ubuntu os.On the settings choose cd/dvd for the #1 boot option. Then your computer will boot and boom....you're on Ubunto OS. When you get the prompt to try or install, hit try. This whole process is going to be done on ubuntu running on the dvd. It'll take a few mins to load and you'll be on. Patience!!!

4. Now you're running ubuntu on your computer and don't do anything! We're here to root your phone and not to explore. You can explore some other time. Now you're going to open a terminal. Terminal is like command prompt on Windows. You'll be entering command lines as a super user. Super user is owner/Administrator. Basically you're telling the computer what to do. Hit ctrl alt t all at once and a terminal will open. That's ctrl button, alt button, and t button.

5. Now you're ready to do some serious stuff! On the terminal enter these commands and hit enter. Don't worry i'll explain each and every one. And fyi sudo is a root level command and also no matter what you do here, it won't screw up your phone or your computer. But do pay attention so you won't have to do all this all over again. Make sure you space and capitalize! First we're going to make a directory. It's for a samba file. Enter this command and hit enter

mkdir /tmp/share

6. Now we will install samba on your computer....temporarly! Enter this command and hit enter

sudo apt-get install samba

7. Now edit the configuration file for samba. Enter this and hit enter

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

8. Now a text editor will pop up and you're going to add this to the end of it and hit save. Go all the way to the bottom on the text editor and type all this. After every line you hit enter and you'll be on the next line. After all these are entered save and close the text editor window.

[share]
path = /tmp/share
available = yes
valid users = guest
read only = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes

9. You just opened a samba file share where only valid users can accesss it and in this case the only valid user is guest. Now we're going to create the user which is you as guest and put a password on it so only you can access it. Enter these commands and hit enter on the terminal!

sudo useradd guest -m -G users

10. Make sure that last command has -G in capital!!

11. Put a password on the user name now. Enter this and enter

sudo passwd guest

12. Make up your own password and hit enter. You have to confirm the password and it does not show as you type it in. So choose a simple password, and all this is temporary to get your bionic rooted. After you get your root all this is trash!

13. Now you have to put a password for your samba! I used 1234 as my password for both these things. Enter this and hit enter.

sudo smbpasswd -a guest

14. Type any or the same as #11 above and hit enter. Now the samba file is there and only you can access it. Now restart samba by entering this command and hitting enter.

sudo restart smbd

15.So now we're going to download and put the exploits in to your file where your phone can link up to it and root. Enter this command to download the exploits.

cd /tmp/share
wget http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz
tar xvf motoshare2.tgz
sudo chmod 755 run.sh

16. You'll see the exploits being downloaded and now you're almost ready for the final step. Put your phone and your computer on the same network. You have to hit ifconfig on the command line and get your ip. It's a 192.something number. Just enter this on the terminal and hit enter

ifconfig

17. Now on your phone goto settings and then developer options and then enable or turn it on. Then turn usb bugging on. Then goto files on your phone and hit remote storage. then add

host ip-(192 something)
domain name WORKGROUP
shared folder -share
user -guest
password

18. Now phone will connect and you have to connect with the usb cable and enter into the terminal this command and hit enter

cd /tmp/share/
sudo ./run.sh

19. Follow instructions. Especially to hit enter after exploits are pushed and the phone vibrates!Then hit enter to clean up and exit. Now you're rooted. Download root checker app and see for yourself! The only thing is the superuser app is a user app and not in the system. You have to put it in as a system app manually and if you don't know how feel free to ask and i'll show you how or just do another tutoriol on it!

Edward Sadzewicz

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I now have a rooted bionic with Jelly Bean!
Just a couple notes from my situation:
1) Leave out the dashes
shared folder share
user -guest
2) Let the Superuser that comes with update itself successfully before trying to use superuser.

Wonderful documentation Nuwan!
Edward

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Followed this to a "T". Everything worked, got no errors. When my phone rebooted, still had no root. Have you run into this?
Hi yes i played around with this a few times because the super user app is a user app and not a system app. Right after this process i did a factory reset and i lost root. So i did it this way again. Then it didn't work. Tried it again and got root. I must have done something wrong. But after i got root i went and pushed superuser into the system and i haven't had any problems since then. My suggestion is try again. And also when you connect to remote storage with your phone you can see whats there. You'll see all the folders and the su.apk. Did you see what was there? Maybe i can narrow it down and see what happend. I'm not an expert btw. I'm a self taught fan.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just want to clarify #17. When you hit remote storage and then add this is what your screen will look like

Host IP address
Domain name
Shared folder name
User name
Password

And this is the exact way you have to put your info in

Host IP address
Domain name
WORKGROUP
Shared folder name
User name
Password
xxxxx

Once you connect you'll see what you just downloaded in to your samba file. One of them is the su,apk.

ryoung062385

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am stuck on step 3...I followed all the steps and when it loads nothing happens...I never get the option to "try or install". I have waited over 15 minutes...

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am stuck on step 3...I followed all the steps and when it loads nothing happens...I never get the option to "try or install". I have waited over 15 minutes...

Most likely I'd say that Ubuntu didn't get burnt on to the DVD correctly. What image burner did you use?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Step 6 mine gives errors
"Something wicked happened resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-11 - System error)

any advice
Hmmm I'm not sure but it sounds like an internet connection problem. Once you have ubuntu up and running and have the terminal open at this step you're installing samba

ScizorS

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Had to run sudo ./run.sh three times before my phone finally rooted. I thought it bricked my phone on the first try because my phone went unresponsive and would not power on. Pulled the battery after 10 minutes and all was well.

One complaint though, the -'s you put in this bit of text were confusing. It should look like this:
host ip: 192.168.x.x
domain name: WORKGROUP
shared folder: share
user: guest
password

Thanks for the tutorial :D

Last edited:

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Had to run sudo ./run.sh three times before my phone finally rooted. I thought it bricked my phone on the first try because my phone went unresponsive and would not power on. Pulled the battery after 10 minutes and all was well.

One complaint though, the -'s you put in this bit of text were confusing. It should look like this:

Thanks for the tutorial :D

Good point and glad it worked for you!

n0ob

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I cant get my phone to connect, every time i try to it says the information i have entered is incorrect. This is exactly how i put it in.
Host IP address
192.168.1.36 (The IP of my laptop)
Domain name
WORKGROUP
Shared folder name
User name
Password
1234 (The password i set)

I am stuck at this point i have quadrouple checked the IP, used 2 different usb cords, burned another copy of ubuntu and running it, and tried changing my phone from airplane mode to regular, with and without wifi. Please i need some help here.

ScizorS

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I cant get my phone to connect, every time i try to it says the information i have entered is incorrect. This is exactly how i put it in.
Host IP address
Domain name
WORKGROUP
Shared folder name
User name
Password

I am stuck at this point i have quadrouple checked the IP, used 2 different usb cords, burned another copy of ubuntu and running it, and tried changing my phone from airplane mode to regular, with and without wifi. Please i need some help here.

Your phone has to be on Wifi for it to work. You're not using a public network are you?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Host IP address
Domain name
WORKGROUP
Shared folder name
User name
Password

Yes your phone and laptop have to be on the same network and also if it says that you entered the wrong info I'd double check what was entered when you created the file share. The info you used when you created and the info you enter when you sign on have to be exact.

n0ob

May 26, 2013
Visit site
No i am on my own personal wifi, and i have double checked the info, i can log into the network share on my laptop(running ubuntu) with guest and 1234 as my username and pw. It is still doing the same thing.

n0ob

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I did notice that the share stuff was under network>windows network>workgroup>ubuntu>share but it is also under network>ubuntu>share. Im not sure if that would cause any connection problems or not.

mrdt47

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Help with #16 how do you get your phone and computer on the same ip address I'm connected to the same wifi on both but the ip address is showing up different.
#17 I have debugging on where do I go to files on a Motorola Droid Bionic to make it remote storage so that I could do step 17

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie