[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

infernus79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

so I got all the way to reboot recovery (CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 and try to install the jcase_rootme.zip but it says "E:Can't mount /sdcard . I previously had my SDcard partitioned with Lind2SD. I already tried moun /sdcard from the mounts menu. other options are mount /sd-ext and mount /system

Any ideas what I can do?

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
so I got all the way to reboot recovery (CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 and try to install the jcase_rootme.zip but it says "E:Can't mount /sdcard . I previously had my SDcard partitioned with Lind2SD. I already tried moun /sdcard from the mounts menu. other options are mount /sd-ext and mount /system

Any ideas what I can do?

Even when you go to Install zip from sd?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

dennyc23

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Help, a n00b (me) needs help. I keep getting stuck at the In -s permissions step. I've done a factory reset a couple of times, but it has not fixed the problem. Code from my terminal follows below. I used adb. Thanks a bunch to this awesome community!

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_ima
ge
1107 KB/s (9640 bytes in 0.008s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/
VM670NH_recovery.img
2941 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.394s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_ro
otme.zip
4113 KB/s (640406 bytes in 0.152s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_imag
e

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell rm /data/amit/*

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell In -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/A
MI304_Config.ini
In: permission denied

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

This may sound crazy, but double check you are typing all the letters correctly on that last command you are getting hung up on.
Should be adb shell ln (being lowercase L and lowercase N) and then AMI304 (being capital A capital M capital I).
Took me a few minutes to figure out which was which and I actually had to compare with Xda forum to be sure.
No idea if that's the problem, just thought I'd mention it.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Edit: Got ninja'd by dennyc23 ;)
Help, a n00b (me) needs help. I keep getting stuck at the In -s permissions step. I've done a factory reset a couple of times, but it has not fixed the problem. Code from my terminal follows below. I used adb. Thanks a bunch to this awesome community!

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_ima
ge
1107 KB/s (9640 bytes in 0.008s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/
VM670NH_recovery.img
2941 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.394s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_ro
otme.zip
4113 KB/s (640406 bytes in 0.152s)

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_imag
e

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell rm /data/amit/*

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell In -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/A
MI304_Config.ini
In: permission denied

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

I just copy&pasted your "ln" into the Google search bar, easiest way I know to check letters due to the auto-search feature. You typed I (capitol "i"), and it should be a l (lowercase "L"). ;)

EManU3LXX

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I created a "oneclick"... well not really one click, more like idiot proof, that will do the steps outlines above for you... It can be found HERE

You will have to scroll

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

This may sound crazy, but double check you are typing all the letters correctly on that last command you are getting hung up on.
Should be adb shell ln (being lowercase L and lowercase N) and then AMI304 (being capital A capital M capital I).
Took me a few minutes to figure out which was which and I actually had to compare with Xda forum to be sure.
No idea if that's the problem, just thought I'd mention it.

I wuv you dennyc23 and JerryScript! I am happily rooted! Cue the Gospel song "Freedom!":)

infernus79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

i stumbled out of it thankfully. i unmounted all the sd options and then mounted sd card again. Rooted again. Whew. Appreciate the help

Now to figure out how get all my old apps back working again with link2sd. I remounted but nothing really happened. If i reload titanium backup, can i just restore the apps?

nvg500

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Hello,

I was wondering if the very first post in this thread is the most updated guide for this root or should I read through the entire thread for various updates and ideas?

Thanks

dennyc23

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I was wondering if the very first post in this thread is the most updated guide for this root or should I read through the entire thread for various updates and ideas?

Thanks
The first post is completely up to date and works perfect so long as you have already done the security update from Virgin.
Just make sure to read all the steps carefully.

nvg500

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Can someone please help, it keeps booting into CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5

nvg500

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I was attempting the Gordita1Click, it all finished but I wasnt rooted so my plan was to factory reset then try again. When it rebooted it got stuck in this loop. I believe I do have adb access.

dennyc23

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I was attempting the Gordita1Click, it all finished but I wasnt rooted so my plan was to factory reset then try again. When it rebooted it got stuck in this loop. I believe I do have adb access.

Oh I'm not familiar with the one click method of this root. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out though if you hang in there.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Oops, sounds like the classic no-no: Never use factory reset in the privacy menu after a custom ROM is installed. That command relies on the stock recovery to complete. Lots of people done it, it's one of the first rules after you root your OV and flash a custom recovery: Only use the factory wipe in the recovery menu.

Check LeslieAnn's 2012 Reference Guide to the OV under stickies in this forum. I believe it has the steps (and/or links) to get you back on the horse. There are also many other threads on the subject. I haven't done it myself, so I'm afraid I have no first hand experience.

Edit: Just saw riggerman's post. Yes, of course, now that we have VMU update.zip (AND Gordita root), simply running that is an easier way to fix bootloop issues -- assuming you can boot recovery.

Last edited:

nvg500

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I have searched and tried everything I have come across, no luck. I think its dead :(

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

If your in the recovery, try to install the update. Click on install update, let it install and it should reboot you back to stock with the stock recovery. Then install the update again from the stock rom.

nvg500

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

It installed the update.zip but still booted into cwm recovery after

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali