Rooting and Security

Lionstrike

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks,

I re-rooted my Optimus V after I ran out of space with CM 7 and it started acting weird. It's been a while since I've done this.

Anyway, I've been using that JOYOS mod and this thing is absolutely incredible. Reminds me of my old iPhone that broke all the time. It's almost as if it's mocking it. I love this mod!

So, I remember that the first thing typically done when rooting is to change the default password for security's sake. Is that possible or even necessary? Loading up a terminal emulator, it's pretty clear that it requests superuser access every time an application needs it which has to be confirmed by button press. I typed in "SU" and it required superuser access.

Is there a way to enhance the security on rooted Optimus V phones or should I just not worry about it? The iPhone as I recall has a big problem with unchanged root passwords and unauthorized calls.

Thanks a lot.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
This is what I did:
Installed LBE Privacy Guard. Made sure every application had to prompt me for any permissions. Only allowed Phone ID for those apps that needed it (ie: paid apps that need to check license, forum apps, etc.).

Installed Kinetoo. This has the ability to also run a full scan on all files, everything, even on the sd card. This takes as long as a full scan on a computer so plug phone into power source when running this option.

Installed Super SU. Whenever an app asks for su access I have the option to allow all the time or just one time like with the Superuser app.

Installed Dolphin Browser which gives you the option to install Trust and Go Security for the Browser (as well as other areas, but I just use it for the browser).

Put a pattern lock on the lockscreen.

Installed Periodic Auto Sync. Set to only sync every 2 hours and for 5 minutes in duration (also save battery juice).

Don't install an ICS ROM (big security hole, but can't remember the details).

Thats all the security you need with this phone. You can block calls from the call log directory.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
.... I'd like to know more About the reason to not use Ics roms..... CAI is still one of my favorite roms it's ics

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Lionstrike

May 21, 2012
Visit site
This is what I did:
Installed LBE Privacy Guard. Made sure every application had to prompt me for any permissions. Only allowed Phone ID for those apps that needed it (ie: paid apps that need to check license, forum apps, etc.).

Installed Kinetoo. This has the ability to also run a full scan on all files, everything, even on the sd card. This takes as long as a full scan on a computer so plug phone into power source when running this option.

Installed Super SU. Whenever an app asks for su access I have the option to allow all the time or just one time like with the Superuser app.

Installed Dolphin Browser which gives you the option to install Trust and Go Security for the Browser (as well as other areas, but I just use it for the browser).

Put a pattern lock on the lockscreen.

Installed Periodic Auto Sync. Set to only sync every 2 hours and for 5 minutes in duration (also save battery juice).

Don't install an ICS ROM (big security hole, but can't remember the details).

Thats all the security you need with this phone. You can block calls from the call log directory.

Geez, that's a lot of security. Better safe than sorry though. Thx for the response!

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Just put a PIN on Super User, when an app asks for it to be ran, a PIN prompt will come up.

If you want to make sure an app wont abuse this, set it to only approve the app for a set time(Superuser by koush has a setting for 10 minutes). This is pretty much what Sudo does on *NIX systems in the first place. Its always smart to be safe, but not nuclear bunker safe.

Also Virus scanners on Android are CRAPWARE!

An anti-virus looks for virus signatures inside a set file, because android has set permissions and a controlled SDK/API there is NO Possibility to be able to make a full fledge anti-virus on a mobile platform, Rooted or not. This is why google launched a Verify app service in 4.2.*, so google can then tear apart the APK file and look for virus signatures, the stuff you install just simply looks for tracking cookies and other browser trash.

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
.... I'd like to know more About the reason to not use Ics roms..... CAI is still one of my favorite roms it's ics

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I would also want to know as ics is my daily since CAI is the only stable rom for me

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank