Rooting GINGERBREAD.EK18

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've got to wait a little before uploading these tonight, but I've put together 2 packages. Stock with remnants from rooting (from going from pre-rooted ED23 up to Gingerbread losing root), and a package where I've attempted to remove any remnants and have complete non-rooted stock. No su/superuser/busybox/etc. Here's how I did it in case you guys get impatient with me (sorry..):0

• Dumped these:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/GB/mibib
dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/GB/qcsbl
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/GB/oemsbl
dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/GB/amss
dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/GB/arm11boot
dd if=/dev/block/bml9 of=/sdcard/GB/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/bml10 of=/sdcard/GB/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
dd if=/dev/block/stl13 of=/sdcard/GB/data.rfs

• Copied to my Ubuntu VM into a folder called "GB"
  • cd into GB
  • tar -H ustar -c * > SPHM580_EK18.tar
  • copied SPHM580_EK18.tar back into Windows
  • flash with Odin (Shabby's "SPHM580.ops" file is needed)

To remove crap, I mounted system.rfs. I haven't removed anything but root files since I don't know how to deodex yet. That's coming soon enough with root. Also, something that's been bugging me. My included recovery.img may well be CWM's recovery image. I haven't tested it yet, so if anyone could try flashing and holding U before a reboot could tell me when it's up, that'd be great. Either way, you'll lose it at first normal boot. I have no way of dumping the real stock boot without root yet. CWM is included, but we can make a true stock later. Lastly, I'm aware that I may have extra files in my Odin image. I'll have to test one by one which can be removed if anyone complains about a 368MB 177MB download (368MB uncompressed).

Update: My Odin image without root files may be somewhat messed up. ADB spat out garbage with a simple "ls" command, but it booted just fine.

View attachment 20205

Update 2: Images are uploading! Keep checking here for more info: http://www.firehak.com/android/replenish-gingerbread-odin-image/ (I've got to do something with my website once in awhile, I've only got 2 posts! :p)

Last edited:
Reactions: blin829

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
lol sorry guys.. i figured firehak woulda told yall.. but hes been real busy lately i guess ;P

[ACS] One Click Root Samsung Prevail/Replenish/precedent Shabbyfied

this is a new exploit that was found a few months ago >.>

anyways same as before, install drivers run the script

now here is the tricky part.... i need to fix the script.. so until i do here is the rest your phone will reboot and the script will error blah blah blha.. but your phone will bootloop!!! dont freakout its supposed to.. close out of teh one click and re run it :) tada! you have gb rooted :)

Reactions: TekGai and blin829

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys! I had no idea about Shabby's post! :p I haven't had internet often lately because of AT&T. I'll be making an image of GB pre-rooted as well now. Everyone be sure to thank him! I'll be working on cleaning up the rom tonight now and we'll see about starting to modify it into a new rom (I'm thinking GingerLeaf). :)

Update: The not-so-new yet new to us (;P) exploit isn't working for me, hopefully it will for someone else. I'm back to trying to root another way. Okay, took advantage of CWM already having root. Backing up my phone now, then preparing a pre-rooted and non-rooted stock for you guys ;)

Update 2: Uploading and deodexing :) Keep checking http://www.firehak.com/android/replenish-gingerbread-odin-image/ for updates/download links.

Final Update: The pre-rooted image has been posted on my site (linked above). Stock image is being uploaded now with an ETA of 70 minutes.

Again, be sure to thank Shabbypenguin! I'd have taken much longer to gain root without him!

Last edited:

TekGai

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
you guys are absolutely wonderful. Thank you Shappypenguin, firehak, GPOT, and drmlook for your hard work making this root possible.

Reactions: GPOT

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Firehak - you got shabbys one click to work? I tried that one about 30 times on my phone when I first went to GB last week and it never worked because my /data directory was locked down. I wonder if my phone is somehow different with file permissions?

fencerjared

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Firehak - you got shabbys one click to work? I tried that one about 30 times on my phone when I first went to GB last week and it never worked because my /data directory was locked down. I wonder if my phone is somehow different with file permissions?

I was about to say the same thing. When I tried it, it errored out on every step, my phone rebooted, and didn't have root.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
bleh yea no the one click doesnt work, gb on the prevail allowed the exploit but they patched it before giving yall the ota :) if someone else would like to try some other ones... you can chat with me in the link in my sig :)

but glad you were able to use the cwm port for something finally ;P

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I was about to say the same thing. When I tried it, it errored out on every step, my phone rebooted, and didn't have root.

But it seems to have worked for firehak - he got us an odin image that is rooted. Firehak - how'd you do that???

Shabby - the CWM you ported that we are currently using does not seem to be able to create boot.img. The file is all FFs. Any thoughts? Could it be that CWM is an older kernel that we are running with GB. I would think not, but it's worth asking. Do you have src code for the CWM recovery?

And welcome back - long time no see here.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
the cwm was a dirty port its not surprising. as for firehak no he didnt get it working he used odin flashed cwm and then either manually pushed su etc or flashed a su.zip :)

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Great job firehak. It worked perfectly. Now that we are root I can deodex the rom and reupload. Shabby thanks for the flasher for leaf rom. I used it to flash the files from my rom wintergreen.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use the one click, I used CWM to manually root using the one click as a guide. I took advantage of it. And since CWM seems partially broken now, I'll attempt following the guide from intrdpth and re-port it spefically for our model this time.

Great job firehak. It worked perfectly. Now that we are root I can deodex the rom and reupload. Shabby thanks for the flasher for leaf rom. I used it to flash the files from my rom wintergreen.

Let me know if you run into any issues along the way. I'm going to de-odex it myself as well, and release another "cleaned" image for all. I'm not much a rom developer myself, but I'd still like to let everyone remove some default Android/carrier bloat and customize with ease.

Last edited:

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
None of this would have been possible if it weren't for firehak putting together the finished product. Thank him not me. :)

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey now, you guys were coming up with ideas on things here too, and that's what led me to realize I already had root in CWM! And if it weren't for Shabby I would have taken longer to get rooted. It wasn't just me. Credits should go to anyone involved. :)

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey now, you guys were coming up with ideas on things here too, and that's what led me to realize I already had root in CWM! And if it weren't for Shabby I would have taken longer to get rooted. It wasn't just me. Credits should go to anyone involved. :)

Thanks, I didnt think my ideas would be of any help but I guess they were. Yay!

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use the one click, I used CWM to manually root using the one click as a guide. I took advantage of it. And since CWM seems partially broken now, I'll attempt following the guide from intrdpth and re-port it spefically for our model this time.

Let me know if you run into any issues along the way. I'm going to de-odex it myself as well, and release another "cleaned" image for all. I'm not much a rom developer myself, but I'd still like to let everyone remove some default Android/carrier bloat and customize with ease.

For my deodexing I use a tool called xUltimate. Check it out. It also does several other things that you would otherwise have to manually do.

I am a rookie ROM developer as well who took on this project because of a certain LACK OF DEVELOPEMENT for our phone. That period of time has passed and now we are working together as a community to improve our cr@ppy phones. I give you permission to use some of the files from my Wintergreen ROM including the flasher which by the way I would not recommend, I would recommend an Odin Image instead.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure it'll work on GB. "xUltimate Main v2.1 has been updated for android 2.2 (It should be able to deodex 2.2/froyo)" No worries though, I prefer to do it manually. Make sure there are no errors and what-not. ;)

Last edited:

kickassfoo11

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all the work your putting in on this phone, I really appreciate it. I had a question about the factory wipe at the last step of the pre-rooted odin image that firehak posted (update 1). Should I have a backup of all of my memory before I do this? I am just wondering if I will lose all of my apps by running that step. Let me know, thanks!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Fyi. The following files can be safely removed from /system/app as they are bloat:
Booksphone.apk
Factorytest.apk and odex
Geniewidget.apk
Lmirescue*.apk (3 files)
Protips.apk and odex
Sprint_installer.apk
Sprintid.apk
Sprintzone.apk
Thinkfree.apk

I also removed email.apk and odex since I use the gmail and yahoo email programs
which are both better on memory. I also removed myfiles.apk and odex and installed a better file manager (file expert).

Just an fyi as u remove bloat. I could create a quick one click to do the same if needed. Obviously u need to be rooted for it to work.

Reactions: Rivertomcat

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
For my deodexing I use a tool called xUltimate. Check it out. It also does several other things that you would otherwise have to manually do.

I am a rookie ROM developer as well who took on this project because of a certain LACK OF DEVELOPEMENT for our phone. That period of time has passed and now we are working together as a community to improve our cr@ppy phones. I give you permission to use some of the files from my Wintergreen ROM including the flasher which by the way I would not recommend, I would recommend an Odin Image instead.

lol its mighty nice of you to give him permission to use my work ;)

anyways rather than boring firehak in irc i figured id offer what i could for any future phones etc etc

with samsung root is always needed, from there you can get the images and work on things like a repacked kernel with root... or cwm... etc etc. how android handers kernels/recovery is actually fairly easy to figure out :) the boot kernel will be anywhere from 8MB-12MB. should you open it in hex editor youll notice the big ole A.N.D.R.O.I.D header on it.

cwm wont let you r/w to the system until you go into mounts and storage... however with a kernel you can pull it off (using dd) and unpack it.. edit init.rc to tell it to lets say mount system as r/w after booting up ;) then someone can root and then do it properlyeither with a tar or make cwm compatible.

recovery is actually another kernel but with recovery.bin stuck in it and a completely different init.rc, as such when you do dumps of the phone youll usually find 2 partitions that are the same size, the lower number partition is boot kernel, the higher is recovery :)

just like l2 cache and l1 cache... and l3 cache, the lower you get the smaller it is.. but the faster it passes thru it. so bml's 1-8 all boot rather fast meanwhile the kernel at 9 is what you finally see at the "samsung" splash screen.. which loads and then loads up system so it can run thru iots little set of init.rc commands (this is when you are looking at the bootanimation)

thats all i can think of right now but i hope yall find it useful :)

Last edited:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Boring me? Tch, I'ma script kiddie. I'm trying to learn this stuff, and if I do release a cleaned up rom it's going out under the ACS name. You invited me, it's about time I start getting more stuff done ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024