S21U to S22 users, give me your honest opinion.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Should I upgrade from S21 Ultra?

Here's a thread on this subject. You might find some answers you're looking for. As above says, you're the only one that can decide if a upgrade is worth it. Most of the time yearly upgrades are minimal improvements.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
On the signal being better. My S22 ultra is dropping the calls in the same area as the note 10+ and note 20 ultra, where the fold 2 and 3 do not drop the calls, ever. I can literally draw a line in both areas they drop the calls. I don't understand why the folds don't have those issues in those areas ever, and I don't ever drop calls with them.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fold lover and say the folds are perfect, the battery life is worse on the fold 3. I just wish I knew why this is happening. You would think folds, S series, and notes would all have good antennas, why only the folds?

So for me, I go by experience and real usage. It appears the S22 ultra is not any better in signal.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my S21 Ultra for an S22 Ultra (both US unlocked 256GB), and my Samsung Credits should cover a trade-in of my Active2 for a Watch 4 (both 44mm WiFi). It looks like the final cost will be around $335 plus tax (after Rakuten rebate). I'm happy with that deal, but I probably wouldn't have paid much more than that, because the older phone and watch are already fine devices.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I know this is a few months old thread but I am thinking about it again. Those who came from S21Ultra and got the S22 Ultra are you still happy? My niece and her husband I told her about the deal they got $900 for their S20 Ultras an upgraded. We could of gotten a $1000 and considered it but I also had read battery life isn't as good but I have a good external battery pack I keep in my purse and extra 25 watt chargers. This phone does 45 watt correct? Also we have the 512 16 gig and I know this only has 12 gigs of ram only 2 things that made made us not do it when I got the email awhile back about the 1000 trade in. I had a Note 8 and hated it husband kept his I had gotten an S9 plus 1st phone he didn't get along with me we've always had the same phone. He says he would use the pen if it was in the phone. We have the pens with our phone now and hardly use it and a case to hold pen would be to wide for me I have small hands plus I didn't like any of them.

Today I get another email from Samsung about the 1000 trade in but also a 100 in credit which would be for chargers and my husband could get a case I don't usually use Samsung cases but anyway I do have small hands and love my 21 Ultra and have been reading about it having square corners and bigger how much of a difference in holding it is it? I have an i blason 2 piece case now which I probably would get the same if they make it. We can get S22 Ultra 512's for 399 plus the $100 in accessory credit now which wasn't offered before. We own our phones and like to do that for ease of trading in. We don't have to do it but for the price and 100 credit we will be up to date. Cause I know if we wait for the 23 which we could we won't get a 1000 for our 21 Ultras. Just wondering is it still fast and snappy with 12 gigs of ram? I know the brightness is higher and is camera just as good I don't think I've read it's better but pretty much the same. I do like the idea of using the pen to take a picture cause I suck at selfies and can never reach the button to push when holding the phone out and don't want to yell out cheese or capture LOL!

Sorry for the long post but I just wondered those who did it are you still happy? I will go to Best Buy or a Verizon store to look at one and hold it before I make a decision. I did a chat with Samsung and he said it's correct it says get it by 5/20 that's tomorrow. And I love the burgundy color and green even though I will have a case on it. My husband said he would like the pen being in there and use it alot so he may want to upgrade. I am mostly worried about it being to big since I have small hands but I got used to the S21 Ultra over an S10 Plus. And it's nice to be up to date and have the latest even though it's only an extra year of updates we will get more if we do want the 23 Ultra when it comes out. I know only I can decide but just wondered how many who did it are happy they did it. Thanks!

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I went from Note9 to Note20 to S22Ultra 512; so I can't speak for coming from the S21 Ultra, but I can say I love this phone. I pre-ordered because I didn't think I could get as much for my N20U down the road.

In my opinion it's worth a few hundred bucks to have the latest and longer support. I could see the opposite argument too... Good luck deciding

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I went from Note9 to Note20 to S22Ultra 512; so I can't speak for coming from the S21 Ultra, but I can say I love this phone. I pre-ordered because I didn't think I could get as much for my N20U down the road.

In my opinion it's worth a few hundred bucks to have the latest and longer support. I could see the opposite argument too... Good luck deciding

Thanks! I don't know what to do but for 399 and a $100 accessory credit I think it's a good deal and yes we will have the latest and longer support. I hated my Note 8 only Note phone I ever had but back then I didn't use a popsocket so I am sure I would ok now with a popsocket and holding the phone. I also got an email after chatting with Samsung saying you left something in your cart tale an additonal 5% off. I just wish I knew if this deal was going to be going on Saturday when me and my husband are both off to go look at one in person. But Thanks for your input maybe some others that went from 21Ultra to 22 Ultra will chime in. Does this have a flat or curved screen by the way?

Oh and my husband and me were worried cause the S21U has 16 gigs of ram and the 22 only 12 but he said maybe with a faster proccessor it's still fast. I need to go compare specs again also.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh and my husband and me were worried cause the S21U has 16 gigs of ram and the 22 only 12 but he said maybe with a faster proccessor it's still fast. I need to go compare specs again also.

I think you may be concerned for no reason on this one. Sure people with 8 GB of RAM would notice a difference from 8 to 12 but people from 12 to 16 likely won't because there aren't many who are taxing a device to the point they are using the full 16. Most are not likely to fully use the 12. At a certain point the higher GB of RAM is more holding things in suspension like background apps. There are a few reviews on YouTube that show this. The 8 GB model restarts a lot of apps after they've been in the background where 12 and above are able to reopen the app where the user left off and if you haven't turned off Samsung's Game Optimizer you're not likely to approach 12 or 16 anyway. That appears to be its job, keeping users from over taxing the processor, heating up the device and eating up the battery. Plus with the ability to portion a part of your ROM memory as RAM nearly no one will ever notice the difference between 12 and 16.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I think you may be concerned for no reason on this one. Sure people with 8 GB of RAM would notice a difference from 8 to 12 but people from 12 to 16 likely won't because there aren't many who are taxing a device to the point they are using the full 16. Most are not likely to fully use the 12. At a certain point the higher GB of RAM is more holding things in suspension like background apps. There are a few reviews on YouTube that show this. The 8 GB model restarts a lot of apps after they've been in the background where 12 and above are able to reopen the app where the user left off and if you haven't turned off Samsung's Game Optimizer you're not likely to approach 12 or 16 anyway. That appears to be its job, keeping users from over taxing the processor, heating up the device and eating up the battery. Plus with the ability to portion a part of your ROM memory as RAM nearly no one will ever notice the difference between 12 and 16.

Oh ok thanks for the info. We're considering doing it still. Really want to go see one in person tomorrow and hope the same deal is going on.1000 for trade in and 100 in accessories I would rather get the deal pay for the the 256 get an upgrade to 512. I have plenty of 25 watt chargers and usually buy a different case other than Samsung but I'll take the accessory credit.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I actually have an 8GB and a 12GB version and try as I might I could not discern a difference in performance. With 15 apps simultaneously open on both and 6 widgets active on both I can't tell a difference in performance. So maybe if I had 20 apps active and more widgets open I'd start to notice something but for me that usage case is unrealistic. ...just my 1⅓ cents.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually have an 8GB and a 12GB version and try as I might I could not discern a difference in performance. With 15 apps simultaneously open on both and 6 widgets active on both I can't tell a difference in performance. So maybe if I had 20 apps active and more widgets open I'd start to notice something but for me that usage case is unrealistic. ...just my 1⅓ cents.

Thanks! We were just curious about it. We also both get work discounts of just $20 so it would cost us $379 for 2 x 512 22 Ultras plus we would get the $100 accessory credit. We don't have to do it we love our 21 Ultra's but if we do it's mainly cause we will have the latest and our 21 Ultra's wont be worth a 1000 next year. I am worried about it being square and I have small hands and my note 8 was too big but I didn't use popsockets back then so a case with a popsocket I think I'll be ok with the 22 and I would want a clear case. But anyway thanks everyone for commenting. We are going to look at the phones in person in just a little bit and then will make our decision. We just like owning our phones and right and being able to just trade up and not have any extra payments on our bill.

It's weird how now I am seeing videos and ads for the 23 Ultra and how it's going to have a different camera sensor and 200 MP. I just don't think I just don't think I am going to use the pen that much, I don't know mainly because it's not built in but we may really like this. So anyway we'll see. Someone here posted the green and burgundy colors I love both.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Have owned both. Yeah the S22 ultra is a better phone overall. It should be as its a year newer. That said,the S21 ultra is still a premium flagship device. Is the S22 night and day better, no. So either way you can't go wrong with either.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Have owned both. Yeah the S22 ultra is a better phone overall. It should be as its a year newer. That said,the S21 ultra is still a premium flagship device. Is the S22 night and day better, no. So either way you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks! We went to Best Buy today the Samsung rep said if your not really going to use the pen no don't upgrade not worth it. We're not note fans don't use the free pen we got now mostly cause it's not built in. I want to take pictures with the pen though. But he said battery worse cause of better screen and more brightness but he said you have to tweak some settings.

I don't know we mainly wanted to do it cause of the price and having the latest and I figured it couldn't be any worse. Plus our phone will be worth more next time we upgrade. We went in to the Verizon store and he said go for it great camera and if you like to own your phones outright Samsung's deal is great. So we ended up doing it. I got Burgundy he got White now to case shop.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! We went to Best Buy today the Samsung rep said if your not really going to use the pen no don't upgrade not worth it. We're not note fans don't use the free pen we got now mostly cause it's not built in. I want to take pictures with the pen though. But he said battery worse cause of better screen and more brightness but he said you have to tweak some settings.

I don't know we mainly wanted to do it cause of the price and having the latest and I figured it couldn't be any worse. Plus our phone will be worth more next time we upgrade. We went in to the Verizon store and he said go for it great camera and if you like to own your phones outright Samsung's deal is great. So we ended up doing it. I got Burgundy he got White now to case shop.
Congrats, enjoy!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe