S21U to S22 users, give me your honest opinion.

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is specifically for people who went from the S21 Ultra to the S22 Ultra. Are you satisfied? I was an S21 Ultra user, but decided to go to the S22 Plus instead of the Ultra. I thought the S21U seemed too big, and the size and weight of the S21U was pretty much my limit. Plus I didn't like the square corners or the curved screen. But, I'm having trouble getting used to the smaller size of the Plus, and I'm wondering if I should've just gone with the Ultra.

Tell me how you feel?

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Barley a comparison. It's more of a note than an s-series. Either way I don't regret my upgrade. I did however regret going from the 21u to the fold 3. Worst Samsung I've ever owned.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I went from S21U to S22U..love it. I used to swap between Note and Galaxy so best of both to me. Glad spen inside now..

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Barley a comparison. It's more of a note than an s-series. Either way I don't regret my upgrade. I did however regret going from the 21u to the fold 3. Worst Samsung I've ever owned.
I went to the fold as well and hate it. I will be trading in my s21u for the s22note next week.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm using it now, got it as a backup phone. I'll use this for a week or 2 and go back to the f fold 3. I don't need a 100x zoom to play with, I use it as a phone with data, which the fold 3 does very well.

From what I've seen on my father in laws 21 ultra and what I read, you might as well stay with the 21 unless you want the built in spen

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While I resisted getting this device for exactly the reason that it is not that much of an upgrade from the S21Ultra, so why spend the money, I pulled the trigger anyway. Looking at my Samsung shopping history I only paid a hundred and some change for the device vs what I got for it as a trade in so I've decided to look at it that way. In the meantime I keep seeing things like faster charge times on the S21, longer battery life on the 21, slightly and subjectively better pics on the 21 from one of the cameras (yeah I don't know which one and truthfully that isn't one that bothers me all that much) and blah blah blah. So yeah I'm a little tentative to say the least, wondering if I'm giving up more than I'm getting.

If you had asked me when I got my first Samsung, an S10+, I would have said I don't understand the excitement over an S-Pen, I don't like the square flat bottom and I just don't understand the hype surrounding the Note series. Fast forward to today and I'm looking forward to the S-Pen. While I think I'll mostly use the photography features, it'll be nice to be in a photo or two for a change, I am also excited to be able to take notes on the phone without opening the phone and an app to do so. Is that worth the expense? Maybe not but I have also become addicted to new devices having owned the S10, 20, 21 and soon the 22. Still upset with Samsung over MST and feel like an open letter is needed to try and get that back.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually it's a good mix of both. Although the design is definitely note based. The camera(both front facing and rear) also battery size were taken directly from the S series Ultra. It only made sense to merge the 2 heavyweights.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Honestly not that much of an upgrade in my opinion but I’m still happy with the S22U over the S21U and I’ll be keeping it.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I can honestly when I trade in my S21U I'll miss it. But hopefully I'll love the S22U the same way I enjoyed this phone.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You aren't going to see major upgrades in terms of performance or camera or most areas. That happens with every year to year phone but if you are looking for a Note then S21U to S22U is a great upgrade. With great trade in values and deals I personally get it every year.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I feel different than most of the above. I'm sending the S22 Ultra back and sticking with the s21 Ultra. For me, ergonomics is way better on the 21 compared to the uncomfortable boxiness of the 22. Everything else is the same except for the pen which I doubt I'd continue to use at all. If you like an uncomfortable phone to hold, then get the s22 Ultra. I actually think they did a disservice to S21 Ultra owners this year. They got rid of the Ultra and just gave you a note under a fake name. Not worth it for me, I can see if you're a Note fan but this definitely shouldn't have been called the S22 Ultra.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I feel different than most of the above. I'm sending the S22 Ultra back and sticking with the s21 Ultra. For me, ergonomics is way better on the 21 compared to the uncomfortable boxiness of the 22. Everything else is the same except for the pen which I doubt I'd continue to use at all. If you like an uncomfortable phone to hold, then get the s22 Ultra. I actually think they did a disservice to S21 Ultra owners this year. They got rid of the Ultra and just gave you a note under a fake name. Not worth it for me, I can see if you're a Note fan but this definitely shouldn't have been called the S22 Ultra.

Last year people complained that you had to buy the S-Pen separately and that there was then nowhere to store it.

It became clear there were two types of S21 Ultra owners. To me it made perfect sense to combine them. Also, I'm fairly certain you'll never see a built in S-pen in anything other than a boxy design.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
. If you like an uncomfortable phone to hold, then get the s22 Ultra..

That is your opinion and some will agree. That's not fact though. If it's not the phone for you by all means return it, it's not going to be for everyone. I'm using it now to test it out during the return period, but it's my back up phone, I'll go go back to the fold 3, unless the 22 ultra wins me over, but doubt it will. I think it's a good phone though.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

If, like most people, the phone is in a case, it feels.... checks notes....like every other phone.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I mainly went from the S21U to the S22U because of the aggressive trade in and tablet combo discounts. When you do the math, every rear you wait your trade in is less valuable and you really don't save much by waiting. By doing the pre-order and phone/tablet combo discount I basically paid full retail for the tablet and got the phone for free in comparison to just going to say, Best Buy and buying the Tab S8U at full retail by itself so it was a no-brainer to take advantage of all the deals and basically get the phone for free, especially with the free $350 keyboard/cover for the Tab S8U and free 45watt charger with my additional $50 credit after my order shipped. But I was looking much more forward to the jump from a Tab S6 to a Tab S8U than swapping from the S21U to the S22U. The 60hz screen on the Tab S6 drove me nuts being used to 120Hz screens on my phones and 144Hz display on my PC and I also wanted a tablet that was closer to the performance of a flagship phone, the larger screen for media consumption was just the icing on the cake (kick back wherever you want and watch movies).

Am I happy with the S22U coming from the S21U? Only because of the deal I got (basically getting it for free with the tablet compared to full retail price of both) and the fact that all the complaints about the S22U I'm not experiencing (poor battery performance for example) so I was expecting it to be worse out of the box with all the complaints but it's been performing very good for me and everything so far works as it should. I was super worried about the square edges from a comfort in the pocket point of view because I work construction and I jump in and out of various machines all day plus some labor but it's no problem for me and actually feels more comfortable without that big camera bump (it also now sits flat on the back with even the thin Samsung leather cover so that's another plus for the S22U over the S21U). It also feels lighter in hand since the weight is more balanced without that camera bump. So I don't mind the square edges at all now. The S-pen is pretty much a total waste of time for me like the front camera on the tablet. I have absolutely zero use for it other than maybe using it to take a selfie from a distance remotely. And I would of totally rather not have any front facing camera on the Tab S8U in place of having that notch. The notch is my only complaint with the Tab S8U so far.

All-in-all I'm mainly happy with the jump to the S22U because with the aggressive pre-order and tablet discounts I wouldn't have saved any money by waiting 1-3 years to upgrade and just like trading in a V8 for a 4-cylinder, you really don't save money on gas for like ten years of ownership since the cost of the new car would of bought tons of gas for the old V8 so to save money by not upgrading a phone you really would have to stretch it out like six years or more and nobody on here is going to go much over waiting three years to upgrade so as long there's aggressive trade in and pre-order discounts and credits, I'll probably just continue to upgrade every year because it doesn't really save money to wait as your trade in becomes less valuable over time.

Now if you have no phone and you're handed either a S21U or S22U for free which one do you take? I would go for the refinements of the S22U all day. Little things like the lighter feel in hand due to being better weight balanced, feeling thinner and laying down flat on the back with a thin case instead of wobbling like the S21U...all these little things just make it better overall to use on a day-to-day basis.