S23 Regrets

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You're not just paying for music that you already own, you're getting an infinite amount of other music that you don't already own and every new release added as time goes on.

Not everyone has the same needs and wants. You like streaming, I don't. I don't want an "infinite amount of other music," as I have my own music. Is it possible they might have something else I'd like (or would stumble onto eventually anyway)? Sure. But I can't just pick things at random I've never heard of on a streaming service because they think I should hear it. I do a pretty good job exploring and acquiring new music too. It's not like I'm just playing Glenn Miller songs. The new ones that I care about I prefer to buy. Which makes it accessible and also supports the artists I like most. (I even have a Bandcamp account!) Add my library to what I find on my own, there really isn't any time left to take shots in the dark from streaming services.

We don't all agree on how we like to use high-end phones. They have many capabilities to support many different needs. I don't want to continue diverting this thread, not that the loss of the SD is an unrelated issue to "regrets," but it is one rehashed many times, so I'm not going to belabor this.

What I would do is buy a NAS and make my own cloud!

Unless I'm missing something, how does a NAS work without either being attached to the phone OR without a data connection? If you have your own cloud, there has to be a data connection, which is part of the reason I don't want to stream. If it is a local hardware device you stick onto the phone, well, that's not exactly convenient while strolling around a city taking vacation pictures. That won't ever become common.

In any event, I feel like I'm standing on my head to make Samsung's decisions reversing its past decisions make sense at my expense. I just don't view that as my job.

Last edited:

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how much music you have, but maybe you could try a portable SSD drive. I bought a little 1TB SSD a while back, and it is unbelievably portable and stable.
Granted, this is not as convenient as an SD card inserted in the device. But maybe it is a viable solution for you?
Maybe you could get a USB C flash card reader and connect that to your phone?
I don't think you'll ever find something as convenient as the built-in SD card slot, but now it's time to find a livable solution for you...
I personally don't miss the SD card slot, but I went to 512G with the S22 Ultra, and I have the same coming for my S23 Ultra (tomorrow!). I also have unlimited data, and I use some cloud storage and streaming services. But that's not going to work for you.
Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
We don't all agree on how we like to use high-end phones. They have many capabilities to support many different needs. I don't want to continue diverting this thread, not that the loss of the SD is an unrelated issue to "regrets," but it is one rehashed many times, so I'm not going to belabor this.

I think maybe you are misreading some replies. I think when people suggest things on streaming they are just offering up ideas to maybe make streaming useful for you, at least that's what I was doing when I suggested you can download music from streaming services.

With that said, you are 100% correct.. Everyone has different needs on high end phones. You're not off subject here, if losing the SD card is a regret then it is for you. Although the SD card went away some time ago so it isn't new for the S23 series. If SD card is important unfortunately Samsung and Apple aren't for you. I don't see the SD card ever coming back for apple or Samsung. I don't know how much music you own but I would think the 512 would cover you, that's a lot of music if it doesn't, and as someone said in the future if will transfer to new devices during setup.

Now with me why I went with streaming... It's because I can listen to pretty much anything I want to whenever. For the price of buying a few songs a month I can have access to millions. I've also had a bad experience with buying some music online. I switched phones and my music I bought would not play because the digital license didn't transfer and I lost a lot of music. There are issues with buying music online like mine and it you buy hard copy you have issues damaging the CD, losing it. Not to mention, you're losing the SD card on phones, we are also losing the CD players in vehicles.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone has the same needs and wants. You like streaming, I don't. I don't want an "infinite amount of other music," as I have my own music. Is it possible they might have something else I'd like (or would stumble onto eventually anyway)? Sure. But I can't just pick things at random I've never heard of on a streaming service because they think I should hear it. I do a pretty good job exploring and acquiring new music too. It's not like I'm just playing Glenn Miller songs. The new ones that I care about I prefer to buy. Which makes it accessible and also supports the artists I like most. (I even have a Bandcamp account!) Add my library to what I find on my own, there really isn't any time left to take shots in the dark from streaming services.

Unless I'm missing something, how does a NAS work without either being attached to the phone OR without a data connection? If you have your own cloud, there has to be a data connection, which is part of the reason I don't want to stream. If it is a local hardware device you stick onto the phone, well, that's not exactly convenient while strolling around a city taking vacation pictures. That won't ever become common.

In any event, I feel like I'm standing on my head to make Samsung's decisions reversing its past decisions make sense at my expense. I just don't view that as my job.
Have you ever tried a USB c flash drive? Even though it can't be inserted into the internals of the device it will function like an SD card when plugged into your c port. The days of Samsung having SD support for their flagship devices is long gone. They've been trying to remove support since 2015 and yes they backed down after the S6, but with LG out of the picture there was no other competitor offering a solution.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I only pay $7.99 for Youtube music (grandfathered in from the Google Play Music preview) and that includes Youtube premium, I think that's a very fair price for unlimited music streaming and Youtube Premium.

Watch for email. I have been on the grandfathered family plan $14.99. Received email saying they are discontinuing the grandfathered plans and raising the prices. I received like a 6 month notice for my "loyalty".

So far it's just the family plans, but your plan is going to get hit soon also from the sounds of it. This is example of buying the music is beneficial.. Your not subject to price hikes, you own it.

I haven't decided if I'm going to stay. I don't want to but I use it a lot. If it was just me I probably would drop for sure. There's Spotify, but they will creep up there also.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Watch for email. I have been on the grandfathered family plan $14.99. Received email saying they are discontinuing the grandfathered plans and raising the prices. I received like a 6 month notice for my "loyalty".

So far it's just the family plans, but your plan is going to get hit soon also from the sounds of it. This is example of buying the music is beneficial.. Your not subject to price hikes, you own it.

I haven't decided if I'm going to stay. I don't want to but I use it a lot. If it was just me I probably would drop for sure. There's Spotify, but they will creep up there also.

And as I alluded to above, I probably would be using YT premium still if it was $/£/8 a month, but $/£12 a month is just not an amount of value I get from it We don't even get the option for an annual subscription here. The pricing is a joke.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
And as I alluded to above, I probably would be using YT premium still if it was $/£/8 a month, but $/£12 a month is just not an amount of value I get from it We don't even get the option for an annual subscription here. The pricing is a joke.
Family plans never had annual plan option, that I ever could find anyway.

Commercial free YouTube is where they get me. YouTube commercials are ridiculous IMO

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Family plans never had annual plan option, that I ever could find anyway.

Commercial free YouTube is where they get me. YouTube commercials are ridiculous IMO

Yeah, the ads are why I got it, don't really care about the music that much. But like I say £12, which is $14.45, a month (that's the price for an individual, with no option for an annual membership) is just a ridiculous amount for ad free youtube.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the ads are why I got it, don't really care about the music that much. But like I say £12, which is $14.45, a month (that's the price for an individual, with no option for an annual membership) is just a ridiculous amount for ad free youtube.
I agree. My family plan is going to $23 a month. I'm having a hard time swallowing that pill. Streaming services keep going up it seems.

We are certainly making a good argument of buying the music is better. Lol

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm paying $23+tax for YouTube family premium. It's ridiculous how much they charge but I have been using premium from the time it was launched and for me it's still worth it. My entire family can use ad free YouTube on any device/platform. YouTube music being included is just a bonus.

Though I would like them to just offer YouTube premium without YouTube music for a lower price and give some options for people to choose. I also have apple music as part of apple one subscription for example and wouldn't mind just having YouTube without YouTube music.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
These streaming service are becoming more expensive, you start adding Netflix, HBO max, Disney, YouTube,ESPN sport us, it's costly and I don't like it . Soon it be more then paying for cable.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
These streaming service are becoming more expensive, you start adding Netflix, HBO max, Disney, YouTube,ESPN sport us, it's costly and I don't like it . Soon it be more then paying for cable.

My brothers became cord cutters a few years ago, I told them when the popularity gets there the prices will go up, and here they are doing just that.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm sure I'm currently paying way more than cable with all the streaming services in addition to YouTube TV for live TV.

But no way I'm going back to crappy Comcast/Xfinity for cable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuclei