S24 Ultra; So yea or nay?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I finally got mine on Friday. For some reason my order was delayed over a week, but ended up getting it.

I also had the S23U. Honestly the S23U is a great phone and the S24U has some subtle improvements. If you're one to upgrade often, sure go for it. If you're one to hold off on upgrading, then it's not like the S24U is a drastically different experience to the S23U. And when the S23U gets OneUI 6.1, it'll be even more similar to the S24U.

The AI stuff is cool in a 'this is a really early beta' type of way, but I wouldn't get the phone because of it. The screen is excellent, phone is ridiculously fast, the battery life is staggering (especially coming from a Pixel 8 Pro). So there definitely are a number of nice improvements, but not enough for me to say 'yes you absolutely should upgrade from the S23U'.

The camera is probably the only thing that I find slightly disappointing. I find the Pixel camera is just better in most situations. I've found that indoors in lower light and moving objects the Galaxy cameras tend to struggle, so if you have little kids or pets that are constantly moving, maybe the camera won't be the best.

Other than that, I think it's an excellent product and if you want the best, it's a great option to go with.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Unless she has diamonds, sapphires, or a bowling ball bouncing around in her purse, she should be fine.
That's to be determined... Samsung claims more scratch resistant year after year and yet they scratch on everyday items. It's glass.. It will break and it will scratch. Allstate insurance did a drop test on the 24 series and the 24 series phones screens all broke and did not work after 6 foot drop, the 23 seriee were still working.

So I'll not be planning on no scratches.. Until it proves itself

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine goes in the front pocket of my Levi's 501s where nothing else resides. Keys and other scratchy items are in my purse.
I do the same, keys and change on the left, phone on the right, screen facing my leg, in case I bump into something, which I'm prone to doing. It's in a stout case as soon as I get it, which is supposed to be tomorrow, according to UPS. Case has been waiting since I ordered, and it has a lens cover to protect the camera, too. No 501s, though, I get mine from Rural King, a farm and home store. Excellent jeans, $9.99 a pair.

I'm transitioning from the S22U, skipped the 23, I have to have the raw power to keep up with my usage. I'm looking forward to the flatter display.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
That's to be determined... Samsung claims more scratch resistant year after year and yet they scratch on everyday items. It's glass.. It will break and it will scratch. Allstate insurance did a drop test on the 24 series and the 24 series phones screens all broke and did not work after 6 foot drop, the 23 seriee were still working.

They already tested it with a Mohs testing kit. The display didn't scratch until it was hit with a #8 stylus. On the Mohs scale, #8 is topaz, #9 sapphire, and #10 is diamond hardness.

I posted the video. So like I said, if she is anything that is the same hardness or harder than a topaz and a bowling ball in her purse or pocket, it will be fine. For the record a standard set of keys, which are made from stainless steel, has a Mohs rating of 5.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The last time I used a screen protector was on my Note 10+. Even then I stopped after about a year. The level of protection the screen supposedly added wasn't that much and it was too much of a pain to get it on with the curved screen.

I have always used a case. And I will always recommend a case. But that is because are more likely to crack a screen than to scratch a screen.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Waldeck

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking to upgrade my Samsung S9+. It is now a bit long in the tooth, even with a new battery.
My main reason is for a good Telephoto lens camera and then a good high res lens for landscape photos.
I am looking at the S24 Ultra mainly as a friend has the S23 Ultra and his photos are very good.
Before the S9+ I had a Note 4 I think it was and liked the pen, worked great for office stuff.

Any help would be appreciated in my quest, as you might tell I don't change my phones to often.
I hope I'm on the right forum.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking to upgrade my Samsung S9+. It is now a bit long in the tooth, even with a new battery.
My main reason is for a good Telephoto lens camera and then a good high res lens for landscape photos.
I am looking at the S24 Ultra mainly as a friend has the S23 Ultra and his photos are very good.
Before the S9+ I had a Note 4 I think it was and liked the pen, worked great for office stuff.

Any help would be appreciated in my quest, as you might tell I don't change my phones to often.
Definitely s24u is a great phone and plus you get 7 years software support if you keep your phones long time.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

There seems to be a trend that tech sites have noticed, as the screens get harder and more scratch resistant they also seem to be more brittle and easier to shatter than the slightly softer, more flexible earlier Gorilla Glass.

I think that started becoming more noticeable with Victus if I remember right.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
They already tested it with a Mohs testing kit. The display didn't scratch until it was hit with a #8 stylus. On the Mohs scale, #8 is topaz, #9 sapphire, and #10 is diamond hardness.

I posted the video. So like I said, if she is anything that is the same hardness or harder than a topaz and a bowling ball in her purse or pocket, it will be fine. For the record a standard set of keys, which are made from stainless steel, has a Mohs rating of 5.
And apple ultra watch sapphire screens are not able to be scratched, yet there are pictures of it happening.

I made this challenge to the apple fan boys to send me their ultra and I'll put the can't scratch to the test for them, nobody took me up on it. I'll make the same deal to you.. Send me your ultra 24 and I'll put it to the test. Together we can prove you can't scratch this screen.

Just chill, sit back and wait. I know we will see the post of reports that my screen scratched. It might be me, I'm not using a screen protector, who knows, but I'm not thinking it's not able to be scratched

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a trend that tech sites have noticed, as the screens get harder and more scratch resistant they also seem to be more brittle and easier to shatter than the slightly softer, more flexible earlier Gorilla Glass.

I think that started becoming more noticeable with Victus if I remember right.
GG #5 was one of the best in terms of scratch resistance IMO. You could abuse the screen and it never scratched...BUT....I always had a tempered glass screen protector on it for protection from drops/shattering! GG #5 was harder, so more scratch resistant, but being harder made it more shatter prone. Back then screens were TRULY flat edge-to-edge..all the way...no slightly curved edges at all and the protectors fit perfectly edge-to-edge also! Those were the good old days!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The latest is always the greatest for me. No issues with the S24 Ultra and overall a great phone. I have never regretted moving from the previous version to the latest version nor I miss my old phones . I'm not good with nostalgia. Just like any phone the difference from the previous version is incremental and you aren't going to see a big difference.

The reports of display grain and other related issues are overblown IMO. I'm using the phone normally like every other phone and don't see any grain or anything. I have no time or interest to go do some tests and try to find faults with the display. For those who do, more power to you.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
And apple ultra watch sapphire screens are not able to be scratched, yet there are pictures of it happening.

I made this challenge to the apple fan boys to send me their ultra and I'll put the can't scratch to the test for them, nobody took me up on it. I'll make the same deal to you.. Send me your ultra 24 and I'll put it to the test. Together we can prove you can't scratch this screen.

Just chill, sit back and wait. I know we will see the post of reports that my screen scratched. It might be me, I'm not using a screen protector, who knows, but I'm not thinking it's not able to be scratched
Take that with a grain of salt. It's not pure sapphire. It's a sapphire composite material which is not as hard as pure sapphire. Which will scratch much easier. Btw, there were some abrasions at level 5, but it wasn't until level 8 that any true damage was done.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I've been holding off on the S24 Ultra. Last time I checked Samsung was offering $750 for the S23 U. But I've been reading some bad press, more than I've ever saw with any other Ultra series.

Any reason why one shouldn't get the S24 ultra?
There is a screen issue that Samsung is addressing right now. It's only affecting the odd unit where there's green lines, grannyness, and camera motion issues.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Take that with a grain of salt. It's not pure sapphire. It's a sapphire composite material which is not as hard as pure sapphire. Which will scratch much easier. Btw, there were some abrasions at level 5, but it wasn't until level 8 that any true damage was done.
I do take that with a grain of salt, just like I take the screen on the 24 ultra not scratching with a grain of salt. The point of me pointing out the ultra watch is the apple fan boys are all saying you can't scratch it..

We all get it, you like Samsung, nothing wrong with that. I like both iPhone and Samsung, but I'm one that will point out their faults, they both have them.

Either way, this has been drawn out long enough. I'm sure everyone knows how we both feel on this, it's time to move on. Thanks

Reactions: ClintRo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlegHelg