S5 "check battery cover" message

northmariner

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure your S5 is long gone, but two weeks ago I found and fixed the problem on my Galaxy 5 with the Samsung flip cover. It would pop up the check battery cover message all the time so it was nearly impossible to use, and the phone would often restart. This only applies to a phone with the OEM (optional) solid flip cover.

Inside the cover, on the cover, when you take the back off, there is a circuit with two gold terminals on it. It appears to be an ID device that tells the phone the OEM cover is installed. Put a tiny piece of transparent tape over the terminals, which have apparently become intermittent. Problem solved! Saved me $$hundreds to not have to buy a S7. You'll lose the automatic on/off feature when you open/shut the cover, but I bet you won't mind.

Patrick Haygood

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Solved!!
I used to get this message throughout the day. It got so bad that I couldn't use my phone. Just typing a text message, it would pop up maybe 10 times. I tried rebooting, factory reset, removing and replacing back cover and always it would come back. I almost threw my phone away because of it.
Then I solved it and now I am free of this nightmare message. Ok it will still popup if I remove the cover, but not constantly throughout the day.
What did I do? I removed the back cover and with a tiny penknife I prised up those 4 or 5 gold pins that connect to the back cover, very slightly and I scraped those pins clean with the knife. That simple.
Now I am free to use my phone like a normal person. The only reason I am typing this is because I have seen the number of people frustrated by this problem ... by looking at the number of views on these forums ... so I hope I am finally able to give something back!!
Good luck.

THIS WORKS.
Worth trying. I had this problem withmy phone for over a year. The pop-up would annoy me about once a minute and now since I did the hardware fix, everything is going great. Warning pop-ups only happen when they're supposed to. It also made it so my s-view case was way more responsive.
So pop it open, and CAREFULLY pull the gold contact points up.

Resglo

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi - I get a lot of support from forums so it's maybe about time I chipped in

I have two Galaxy S5s - brilliant phone due to the swappable battery - but I think that's the trouble here

If you press your finger 1cm to the left of the camera on the back cover the message will stop - it does so on mine

On the inside of the cover right about there is a peg that goes into a hole

My hunch is that's the cover sensor (optical? )

If you buy a new cover the peg may not be long enough

If your battery gets fat it may lift the cover

If you put a wireless charger layer in it may lift the cover

But - all in its an easy fix now as it's physical not OS update related so you don't need to root your phone

New cover and battery or just plug that hole so your droid can run bareback ..

All the best

ResGlo

Jack74044

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Solved it like many others did. The flip cover has two contacts, which may be slightly shorter than the ones on the original cover. On the phones backside you will find the corresponding contacts located near the corner of the battery. With a paperclip or needle, I very carefully bent up these contacts. They now reach near the surface of the gray plastic that surrounds it. This solved the issue entirely.
You should not factory reset your phone as that's not the issue here. Contacts are the weak point here.
The reason I'm looking for other brands is because of the increasing prices of the Samsung phones. I believe I can get similar phones for less money and with less bloatware that can't be removed. Otherwise I'm a happy Samsung phone user for many years.

dzmanto

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
As mentioned by Jack74044, the back side of the phone has two contacts about 1 centimetre from the camera. Two matching contacts can be found on the inside of the flip cover.

I got rid of the alerts by covering the two contacts on the inside of the flip cover with sticky tape. The solution can be undone by removing the sticky tape. My solution involving sticky tape does not really impact on the warranty of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz