S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Coming from the S7 edge and now the S8 plus I firmly believe the update was worth every penny. The S8 Plus is much faster with a great UI no need to use a launcher it works as well as my iPhone 7 plus does.

I was on the edge about buying one bit now it everything everyone is saying and more.

I can't believe how fast this device is with no lag or slow down actually just as if not faster than my iPhone 7 plus.

Last edited:

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Had my smaller sized Verizon S8 since launch day and love it. Other than the DQA issue for the first week, it's been perfect in every way.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Had a quirky thing happen today. First pic shows me trying to respond but my keyboard was missing, onkynsaw the background of it. Restarted the phone and it was back. Think it's a Nova quirk or the phone? I'm not too worried as it only happened once
9b2af0d899399bb4e69bb5b57fb23356.jpg

koldmiser

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So I had an issue with my S7 Edge that couldn't be fixed and instead of doing a warranty return ended up upgrading to the S8+ (I told my wife I wouldn't do it unless I really had to!).
So far I am loving this! It's taking a little getting used to not having a mechanical home button, but I'm getting there.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm loving my s8plus too. I have just had two problems that have occurred a few times. 1) disappearing keyboard (keyboard space pop's up, no keyboard) and 2): Google search button won't work (I type something in there and it won't respond with any info acts as if I didn't type anything). 2ondering if I should factory reset.. Wondering if these little quirks are from Nova Launcher and not using stock launcher

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm loving my s8plus too. I have just had two problems that have occurred a few times. 1) disappearing keyboard (keyboard space pop's up, no keyboard) and 2): Google search button won't work (I type something in there and it won't respond with any info acts as if I didn't type anything). 2ondering if I should factory reset.. Wondering if these little quirks are from Nova Launcher and not using stock launcher

I'd definitely try a reset. Also, to the best of my knowledge those are not quirks in Nova.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Before any drastic action, just go to Settings-Device Maintenance-Storage-3 Dots at the top right-Storage Settings-Internal Storage and clear your cached data by clicking on it, then do a Wipe cache Partition on Recovery Mode.

Just in case you don't know how to get there just turn off your phone and Press and hold the Volume up-Bixby-Power Buttons until you see the Blue Screen, once you get there wait for it to finish and show you the option, just browser with the Volume buttons and hit enter with power button. Just do the Wipe cache partition, this takes care of MOST of OS glitches.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I did the wipe cache mode in recovery. Google search acted up again but so far the keyboard hasn't gone missing yet. I may reset it but waiting to see.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I did the wipe cache mode in recovery. Google search acted up again but so far the keyboard hasn't gone missing yet. I may reset it but waiting to see.

Then go to Settings-Apps and go to Google App and clear cache and if you think it won't affect you at all, I think it shouldn't, clear all data on the app too.

Like I said, just faster and easier things to try before a drastic action like a Factory reset is taken.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Then go to Settings-Apps and go to Google App and clear cache and if you think it won't affect you at all, I think it shouldn't, clear all data on the app too.

Like I said, just faster and easier things to try before a drastic action like a Factory reset is taken.

It's really not drastic, if you're properly backed up. And Samsung has a descent backup.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's really not drastic, if you're properly backed up. And Samsung has a descent backup.

Well, it's a fact that Android in general lacks of a complete backup (AKA Full Image backup/restore at least a user friendly solution) and in that Apple is light years ahead of anything Android or any other specific OEM have. It's another fact that the actual Samsung Cloud/Backup solution is a lot better than what we've had before, but even with latest solutions available I needed more than an hour and half to set everything just as I had it with my S7 edge.

MOST of my apps were downloaded automatically and some of them even had their data (really don't know if it was Google or Samsung doing) but for the rest of my apps and they are over 100 apps, there is no easy solution other than going one by one and re-enter credentials, redo all settings and that my friend to me is what I'd call drastic if I can fix any issue I may have with a lot easier and fastest solution like just clear the app's cached data.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, it's a fact that Android in general lacks of a complete backup (AKA Full Image backup/restore) and in that Apple is light years ahead of anything Android or any other specific OEM have. It's another fact that the actual Samsung Cloud/Backup solution is a lot better than what we've had before, but again, to me it's drastic but even with latest solutions available I needed more than an hour and half to set everything just as I had it with my S7 edge.

MOST of my apps were downloaded automatically and some of them even had their data (really don't know if it was Google or Samsung doing) but for the rest of my apps and they are over 100 apps, there is no easy solution other than going one by one and re-enter credentials, redo all settings and that my friend to me is what I'd call drastic if I can fix any issue I may have with a lot easier and fastest solution like just clear the app's cached data.
To each their own. I perform regular resets every other month, give or take. Never been a big deal to me, but that's my opinion.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
To each their own. I perform regular resets every other month, give or take. Never been a big deal to me, but that's my opinion.

I get what you mean, I need to do this every time I get a new phone, that based on last 2 or 3 years, is about every 2 or 3 months, so on that context is not a big deal to me, but it becomes annoying to need to redo everything on the SAME phone.

When you have to do it because it's a new phone you know it's part of the whole deal of getting a new one, but when it's to fix an issue it really bothers me. Thanks God Nova Launcher exists so I just do a Backup/restore and half of the job is done but with the amount of apps I have and without a reliable way of getting everything back just as I had it, it really is a pain...

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok - maybe I'm a LITTLE early posting this. But for those of you that are waiting on your pre-order, or plan to pick one up real soon... let's share our first impressions of the S8 / S8+ right here!

If you don't have it yet, what were your first impressions when you first laid eyes on it? Good, bad, indifferent?

My first impressions were that I "gotta have it!". It was a thing of beauty. Still is!

hashfork

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
My first impressions were that I "gotta have it!". It was a thing of beauty. Still is!

I've had it for a while now and I'm still can't believe how much of a step forward it is. The fact that the useable screen size is so big yet it's nowhere near phablet size has changed everything for me.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Two weeks and my Galaxy S8 is a awesome device extremely fast with a great camera. No complaints here this will be my daily driver for a long time. Coming from the S7 plus this phone is so customizable it puts apple to shame. I am heavily locked into the Apple eco system which I love but this phone is much Superior

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Well.. I finally got my S8+.
First of all it looks really amazing. no any false with the look of exterior design. I have orchide gray and I am really happy with that.
In terms of performance, it is really fast and doesn't get hot easily. I haven't tried ultra high performance required games or apps yet but it is quite satisfying with normal-high level games.
The cameras are impressive especially the back one. Even the front camera performs pretty well. better than many back cameras on other phones.
Only two negative comment by now:
1. It is too expensive ( at least in my country ).
2. Very slippery. Must be carefull it may just fly away from hands.

Overall I believe it is the best device around.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It's here, in my hands. And for the most part it's awesome. But it is not without flaws.

This is my first Android phone after maybe four years of iOS and three prior to that with Blackberry. Going into iOS it took me a year or more before I was comfortable and stopped hating my first iPhone. Going to Android is a scary thought but so far I am finding that it's a very mailable OS and I am surprised at how much I can do with changing it to my liking. In fact, the sticky apps or functions at bottom now match what I had on my iPhone.. Phone, messages, email and settings. That gives me some familiarity, which I need in this transition.

The Verizon and Samsung bloatware is annoying. I really have no idea what to use at times with multiple browsers, texting apps, email apps, Playstores, etc. and that just ticks me off. I've had to use this forum A LOT trying to figure out what the stock apps are vs what the bloatware apps are.

The finger print sensor is sort of annoying, but not overly so. I have the official Samsung Alcantara case on the phone and that helps. It contains a special cutout for the camera and also for the sensor so you really can't screw up. Going from the iPhone with its front sensor to the S8 with the rear sensor is the biggest change. It's just strange, but I'll get used to it.

And that case IS awesome. I love it. While I am not sure it will protect this fragile phone from a high drop I do feel like I likely won't drop the phone if I'm careful as it feels nice in the hand and is not slippery in any way. Naked, the phone is like slick wet ice. You do not want hold onto it that way! People, this is why I am fully prepared to sell the S8 if the Essential Phone proves to be a good product. It's ceramic and titanium construction promises the kind of sturdiness that all newer phones are lacking with their stupid curved screens and all glass construction.

The S8 is a gorgeous phone but I think I'd like it more without curved edges. I do struggle a bit when texting at the far left and right. I have to slow my texting down in order to avoid mistakes.

I still have my iPhone 6S+ and it looks and feels HUGE in comparison. Losing some width is also affecting my texting but having less bulk with the S8 vs. the iPhone is a lovely thing. I like how easy it is to slip into my front pocket and how nice it feels in the hand.

This is a great phone. No doubt. I think I'm going to enjoy getting to know it over the next few months.

P.S. I put the official Samsung screen protector on the phone and feel that for a thin membrane style screen protector it works just fine. I prefer tempered glass, but we all know what a disaster they have been for this phone and its curved screen. I didn't want to go through that, but I at least wanted to protect the glass from scratches.

P.S.S. I put Verizon Cloud on my iPhone to back up my content and I also put Google drive on it. So I double backed up everything. The question now is, which is better to migrate all my content to THIS phone? I don't know. Until I figure that out I just won't do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001